Justice? What justice?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The justice system in this country simply does not work. I could give you tens of examples of burglars who have been caught and then let go, the same with drug dealers. I myself was shot and left for dead. The guys were caught quickly and then one had a canadian girlfriend who paid 1000 us$ and they were let out of jail. A month later they murdered a canadian man. One was caught - the other disappeared. The one who was caught was sentenced to 30 years in jail. Let out 6 months ago as his sister paid and now lives 500 metres from my house.

Dominican justice.

matilda

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let out 6 months ago as his sister paid and now lives 500 metres from my house.

I'm not in the habit of swearing but when I read this...printable words failed me. One actual murder, one almost murder and he's out. Can you tell us, did he go back to Court on appeal & win the appeal or was it an under the counter deal with no Court appearance? Just an audience in private chambers between his sister's cheque book & the judge? Does the Canadian Embassy know?

You write in such a matter-of-fact, non-attention seeking way that others less aware of the circumstances might not have grasped the true impact of this. I am appalled & after the length of time I've been here I don't get appalled easily. There was indisputable evidence against him in your case and in the second case. The fact that he is out is utterly deplorable.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
What's the point eh?

He did tell me to get a gun and said he could "sort one out for me". He then went on to show me the six bullet holes dotted about his body and said he wasn't too pleased that I recognised him so easily because he has a lot of enemies that were after him!

Maybe they want their 'phone back!!!!!!

What's the point eh...is the way many on the island think, and why someone wouldnt call the police even when they see a crime being commintted i.e. Laurajanes story. That is why people carry guns to defend themselves because you cant TRUST the majority of police on the island. You have to trust in your ability to protect yourself and enact jungle justice. Not comforting.
Reading Simons involvement with the police, Skings, and Matildas story etc.
the corruption is beyond deplorable, its downright frightening!
One needs to feel safe and at peace at least in their own home.

Simon I would get a gun, but not from that unprofessional chief.
Stay safe!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Prison? No Problem.

_One actual murder, one almost murder and he's out.
I am appalled __ The fact that he is out is utterly deplorable.

Lambada, you are much too well informed to be appalled at such common incidents.
There are hundreds of cases of some crook getting picked up by the police and then it is learned that he/she was supposed to be in jail doing a long term sentence.

Just one example:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ested-with-drugs-was-supposed-to-be-in-prison

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, you are much too well informed to be appalled at such common incidents.
There are hundreds of cases of some crook getting picked up by the police and then it is learned that he/she was supposed to be in jail doing a long term sentence.

Just one example:
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ested-with-drugs-was-supposed-to-be-in-prison

I agree with you donP that there are drug cases where someone was either sentenced or remanded on preventiva and has somewhat mysteriously been 'freed'. The network of those associated with this industry also includes some in the judiciary. But this is different - totally non-drug related, 2 foreigners of different nationalities, both of them totally innocent victims, 2 separate Embassies aware of the circumstances, one actual murder & one attempted. So, if you'll allow me to be appalled :cheeky:, I am.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'm not in the habit of swearing but when I read this...printable words failed me. One actual murder, one almost murder and he's out. Can you tell us, did he go back to Court on appeal & win the appeal or was it an under the counter deal with no Court appearance? Just an audience in private chambers between his sister's cheque book & the judge? Does the Canadian Embassy know?

You write in such a matter-of-fact, non-attention seeking way that others less aware of the circumstances might not have grasped the true impact of this. I am appalled & after the length of time I've been here I don't get appalled easily. There was indisputable evidence against him in your case and in the second case. The fact that he is out is utterly deplorable.

The first time (for me) they were in jail awaiting trial - only for a couple of weeks and it was a direct payment to the fiscal, by the canadian gf. The second time the one was in Victoria having been sentenced and I have no idea if it was after appeal or under the counter. At the time of the murder of the canadian I said nothing as did not want to cause a diplomatic incident between canada and the DR. I doubt the embassy is aware that the guys are free, I doubt the family of the man who was killed are aware either.

For me it is not a question of revenge or retribution. It is just they obviously have no scruples at all about shooting people, nor beating them to death with baseball bats, so the chances are it will happen again.

Thank you for being appalled though!!

Matilda

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Convincing $$

I agree with you donP that there are drug cases where someone was either sentenced or remanded on preventiva and has somewhat mysteriously been 'freed'. The network of those associated with this industry also includes some in the judiciary. But this is different - totally non-drug related, 2 foreigners of different nationalities, both of them totally innocent victims, 2 separate Embassies aware of the circumstances, one actual murder & one attempted. So, if you'll allow me to be appalled :cheeky:, I am.

You are certainly right, that drug convicts are let go much more easily and more often; you mentioned the reason. ;)

But the next time I come across the news of a murderer (non drug related) running about freely, I'll let you know.

Added:
Just saw Matilda's post.
Suppose, those cases she mentioned, were not drug related either...
(Do we not know that $$$$ are a very convincing argument within the justice system here?)

As far as embassies go, not all of them are of much help when their nationals do require it.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Matilda: Reading your post just makes me cringe and ask god to not allow something like this to happen to me and live to tell about it, because I'm a very patient, non-confrontational person...but unfortunately not a very forgiving person and if the person who tried to kill me was out and lived right next to me as if nothing happened...man I don't even want to think what I would do, but one of us would not be walking this earth anymore....que dios me perdone.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
The justice system in this country simply does not work. I could give you tens of examples of burglars who have been caught and then let go, the same with drug dealers. I myself was shot and left for dead. The guys were caught quickly and then one had a canadian girlfriend who paid 1000 us$ and they were let out of jail. A month later they murdered a canadian man. One was caught - the other disappeared. The one who was caught was sentenced to 30 years in jail. Let out 6 months ago as his sister paid and now lives 500 metres from my house.

Dominican justice.

matilda

If the one that disappeared was the one that has a Canadian girlfriend....I wonder if he could now be found somewhere in Canada? I'm sure the GF didn't know the real reason he needed bail money.....and if she did....that makes her just as disgusting as he is!!

I wonder if she is a DR1 member? Any of you ladies who have a boyfriend/husband from here send $1000US to bail out your "prince charming" last year?? :tired:

I am not at a loss for words...but like Lambada said - none of them are printable!

May God give you strength, Matilda!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I moved these posts to a thread of their own, and gave it a provisional title - Justice? What justice?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

Added:
Just saw Matilda's post.
Suppose, those cases she mentioned, were not drug related either...
(Do we not know that $$$$ are a very convincing argument within the justice system here?)

As far as embassies go, not all of them are of much help when their nationals do require it.

They were definitely not drug related. They were theft - pure and simple. Although in my case they got anyway with nothing apart from being bitten by the dogs!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If the one that disappeared was the one that has a Canadian girlfriend....I wonder if he could now be found somewhere in Canada? I'm sure the GF didn't know the real reason he needed bail money.....and if she did....that makes her just as disgusting as he is!!

I wonder if she is a DR1 member? Any of you ladies who have a boyfriend/husband from here send $1000US to bail out your "prince charming" last year?? :tired:

I am not at a loss for words...but like Lambada said - none of them are printable!

May God give you strength, Matilda!!

If my memory serves me right, the guy connected to both cases had a Canadian girlfriend who I think was living here at the time of the attack on Matilda. If that's so, she couldn't not have known why the money was needed. Which makes her an 'intellectual accessory' (or something like that which they call it here) in relation to the second case, where there actually was a murder.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
If my memory serves me right, the guy connected to both cases had a Canadian girlfriend who I think was living here at the time of the attack on Matilda.

I agree there is no way she could not have known.
The payoff most likely included to totally erase his criminal record.
Which would make it possible for her to bring him to Canada if she married him....if she already has not done so, thats why he disappeared. :tired:
I am pretty sure he would want to be away from all the attention.

Immigration Canada would have no idea they are letting in a murderer with his cleaned record when they request the background check and he would be our problem now. Wonderful.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
She was his long time girlfriend and lived with him apart from when she was in hospital after he had beaten her. I doubt she knew why he and his brother were in prison as at that stage it was not common knowledge who it was who had shot me. He probably spun her a yarn. Anyway she got him out, and she went back to Canada and I have not heard of her since. No idea where he is. Some say in Canada, some say in Haiti and some say dead. But seriously no idea. His younger brother is the one who actually pulled the trigger (but only after asking his older brother who said 'do it'), and he is the one who went to jail in Victoria and who is now out.

I hope for canadians sake he is not in Canada.

Matilda

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
This sounds crazy, and by the sounds of it, not in any way an accident that you were shot. That would normally carry attempted murder, no?
How long did he actually serve behind bars?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This sounds crazy, and by the sounds of it, not in any way an accident that you were shot. That would normally carry attempted murder, no?
How long did he actually serve behind bars?

Yes it was attempted murder. 3 weeks for me and around a year or so for the murder of the canadian man

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Oh my only 3 weeks. That is beyond sad. My heart aches for you Matilda.
I am so sorry justice was not served in your case. So sorry.
You and all victims deserve better. Citizens of the country need to demand better from their government!

These judges need to be hanged, they are worse than the people who pull the trigger IMO. I hope Leonel taps their phones and does an investigation like they did with the POP police department but to bring down the corrupt judges.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I hope Leonel taps their phones and does an investigation like they did with the POP police department but to bring down the corrupt judges.

The POP police dept. investigation was another rip roaring success :ermm:. 2 separate cases, the 8 involved with the homicide of the 3 young men in January were remanded in custody for 3 months. The other 23 had their cases thrown out. 'Inadmissible evidence' because phone taps were authorised by Chief of Police not a judge. There's a thread on it in Government Forum.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Yes it was attempted murder. 3 weeks for me and around a year or so for the murder of the canadian man

Well this answers alot of questions for me. I often wondered why Dominicans were not deterred by consequence of criminal acts. Now it is obvious to me, it seems the system has no actual structure to punishment at all. Someone may get longer for swearing at a police officer than another gets for attempted murder.
Does the Embassy not stand up for its own in DR?
Important issues don't seem to headline like they would anywhere else in the world (I have travelled all over the world and nothing compares to this).
All the best anyway Matilda, I hope something increases the lack of Karma in your and his life right now.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I doubt she knew why he and his brother were in prison as at that stage it was not common knowledge who it was who had shot me. He probably spun her a yarn.
Matilda

I find that so hard to believe she had no idea? She would have had to hear his family and friends talking about it.
I find it even harder to understand how the entire community didnt know who shot you? Was it not in the papers and on TV?
I would have thought that information would have travelled quickly?