Nissan Rouge

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Does anyone know what an '09 Nissan Rougue sells for in the DR? I know a Rav4 is about 28,500, and I think a Rougue should be a few thousand less. - D

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Would be cheaper to import one from Europe me thinks. Having a real hammer down on vehicle prices at the moment. It is the best time in 30 years to buy a vehicle in the Europe in 40 Years.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Are you talking about the Rogue?

You folks from Sousa sure have a problem with spelling! Is it like that with everybody from the Dominica?

Maybe you should move to Santa Dominga.... Yuk Yuk!!

Seriously, I haven't seen a Rogue here yet, but I haven't been looking out for them either.

The dealer is just up the street from my house, so I'll drive by and take a look.

It looks exactly like a Hyundai in the pics..

Opps, yes the Rogue. It's a smaller clone of the Murano.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
CVT: built to fail!

Do you have a good mechanic that you trust?? Call him/her and ask what's his/her opinion on the CV transmission in general, but more especially on the Nissan's?? Also do a search on the net about Nissan CVT.
I don't want to mess up your dream, but stay away from cars with CV transmission for a while..
They are failing quicker than a brake light bulb, regular tranny shops can't rebuild them - it's a different, gearless design- can't even buy rebuild kits for them, the special ATF about US$ 30 / quart and you can't use anything else.
Even in the DR a Nissan CVT replacement will cost you over US$ 5000 - at a Nissan dealer it's more like $6000.
If you buy a new w. warranty you will be OK for a while, but if you plan to keep it I'd suggest to get a non CVT car.

The Hun

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Do you have a good mechanic that you trust?? Call him/her and ask what's his/her opinion on the CV transmission in general, but more especially on the Nissan's?? Also do a search on the net about Nissan CVT.
I don't want to mess up your dream, but stay away from cars with CV transmission for a while..
They are failing quicker than a brake light bulb, regular tranny shops can't rebuild them - it's a different, gearless design- can't even buy rebuild kits for them, the special ATF about US$ 30 / quart and you can't use anything else.
Even in the DR a Nissan CVT replacement will cost you over US$ 5000 - at a Nissan dealer it's more like $6000.
If you buy a new w. warranty you will be OK for a while, but if you plan to keep it I'd suggest to get a non CVT car.

The Hun

I've been reading about that transmission, but I didn't know it was prone to failure.

The Honda CRV and the Toyota Rav4 are undoubtedly the best of the inexpensive SUVs, but in the DR they are both close to $30,000 USD. We need something with a complete set of airbags, and the Japanese brands are the only ones I trust - although possibly the Hyundai is now on their level.

Although I prefer buying new, perhaps a slightly used CRV is the way to go.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
That is the wackiest transmission I ever used.

When you are stopped and punch the gas, the motor goes up to a certain set RPM, the car goes through the gears, but the RPM's stay constant. You FEEL the gears changing(kinda), but the engine speed doesn't vary.

It's not like an ordinary auto transmission where you see the RPM's drop each time it shifts.

I went by the dealer this morning. There are no Rogues on display; I didn't ask the saleperson about them.

From wiki:

"CVT stands for Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) is a transmission which can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that only allow a few different distinct gear ratios to be selected. The flexibility of a CVT allows the driving shaft to maintain a constant angular velocity over a range of output velocities. This can provide better fuel economy than other transmissions by enabling the engine to run at its most efficient revolutions per minute (RPM) for a range of vehicle speeds."

Yes, it's a weird feeling not to have shift points. :surprised My ATV does the same. The patent on this idea over 100 years old. The problems are the material / parts availability and quality.
The original design is for belt drive, which would not last long on cars, so they use chain links between the pulleys. There is a special friction material on the chain and the pulley - requiring a special ATF - so it can still maintain friction but also gets lubricated. The tension between the pulleys regulated by hydraulic mechanism - using the same fluid.
Most of the times the friction material wears off and the chain grinds into the pulleys. Same effect when the friction lining wears off from your brake pads. :ermm:
Quite few years went buy since the introduction of the CVT but they are still prone to fail. Maybe few more years and their lifetime will reach longer time, like the regular geared type transmissions.
Meanwhile CRVs or a RAV4s are perfect small-size SUVs.:bunny:

The Hun