ATM machines not working since May 6th 2009 ???

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007
Since one week I'm trying to withdraw money from different ATM's in Sosua and Cabarete but it's seems that there is no "internation connection". I have a Mastercard and never had any problems to withdraw money.

I put the card in the machine, enter the PIN, choose the sum and immediately the card is being returned. Tried it at Banco del Progreso and Scotiabank.

Has anybody made the same experience??

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, I have the same experience in Higuey. My Chase (Wamu) Mastercard was not working in Banco Santa Cruz nor Leon (Saturday May 9). It did not work at BSC today either, have not tried Leon today.

In BSC it just did "nothing" (same as you described) at Leon it threw out a receipt with "tarjeta invalida" message.

It worked on BOTH occasions at Banco Progreso here in Higuey.

At first I thought my card was flagged by the bank as my card was just replaced recently, but an hour-long call back resolved that it was not blocked indeed. I then tried Progreso and it worked.

YOU MAY WANT TO TRY TO DO A CASH ADVANCE (CA) with a teller, as the CA will go over CardNet instead of ATH Network. I know Progreso will do CA on a debit card (at least here in Higuey) have an original passport or cedula ready.

PLEASE post back here if you decide to do CA to let me know whether that worked. I am interested in knowing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add:

Just found out ATH network in the DR is operated by CardNet. IT MAY affect cash advance at teller. I will use my MC tomorrow for a small transaction on CardNet to find out whether it works.

Here are the contacts for Cardnet:
If the thing ain't working we have to call and call and call:

Departamento Servicio al Afiliado (809) 473-3200 y 1-(809)-200-1561 (desde el interior sin cargos) Horario: Lunes a Viernes de 8:00 A.M. a 5:30 P.M. S?bados de 8:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.

Last edited:

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007
Thanks a lot for your reply! It seems something is wrong with the ATM's in the DR these days. I will try it again tomorrow, hope it will work. If not I will ask the teller what's going on.

It's interesting that the Banco del Progreso ATM in Higuey is working, but the ones in Cabarete and Sosua not.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Last edited:

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007
Today I also had no success to withdraw money from the ATM's, I tried 3 different. :ermm: Could anybody from the North Coast who has a Mastercard, Amex or VISA card (from USA or Europe) please try to withdraw money and reply here if it worked or not? Your help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Have you tried CASH ADVANCE through the teller?

I used my Mastercard at a store through the Cardnet card machine, and it worked OK. The Cash Advance should also work fine.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I used the ATM at the big Playero - no problem. However, the machine was temporarily out of order (probably out of money) for a few days before I could use it.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i use a wireless CardNet VeriFone and it worked fine yesterday and also this morning to let the clients pay with their cards. never had a prob with that system.
this noon i also took cash from a ATM at banco popular ATM with my European Mastercard at the Palma Shopping center here in Bavaro, no problem neither.
Mike