Cabarete By-Pass Beginning?

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Any news on the long-promised road from Callejon to Pro-Cab through the lagoon called the "Cabarete By-Pass"?

A front-end loader drove through the lagoon yesterday clearing what looks like a muddy road.

Anyone know what, if anything, is going on?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
From what I understand they are moving people out of their homes and putting a ditch between the people and the National Park. The biggest problem is Pro Cab. To go around it mean many bribges. It's a great idea but, the cost may be too great.

Jan 17, 2009
Windeguy,

The reason for the ditch is to protect the lagoon (environmental reasons) by keep squatters off. An environmental group led by a Cabarete businessman has been working the the Ministry of the Environment on this issue.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
It is a good idea doing an environmental assessment. Two years ago, the local squatters set fire to the lagoon to catch the wildlife as it was escaping from the flames. The fire raged for hours and came very close to setting some of the homes on fire that back onto the lagoon in Pro Cab.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Windeguy,

The reason for the ditch is to protect the lagoon (environmental reasons) by keep squatters off. An environmental group led by a Cabarete businessman has been working the the Ministry of the Environment on this issue.

How does a wet ditch in place of vegetation protect the environment? Who is the Cabarete businessman working on this issue?

The new waterway created by the back-hoe provides easy access to the backside of several hotels and residences. Perhaps Robin Hood is involved!

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Where did you hear the "rumor" A reliable source?
Can you divulge that info?
It has been funded? by whom?
Soon? When is "soon" 2015?
The canal is part of what "improvements"?
I am very concerned as I am on the lagoon and the canal now allows easy passage right up behind me for any "evildoers" should they chose to "do evil"

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Today we paid a visit to Ayuntamiento in Cabarete. We talked about a number of topics. The recent work being done from ProCab to La Cienaga has nothing to do with the Cabarete bypass road. The government has not yet set aside any funding for a Cabarete bypass road according to what we were told today.

What is being done is the creation of a canal from ProCab up to La Cienaga and also the creation of a walking path along that canal. Both the canal and the walkway are for recreational purpose and to separate the inhabited areas from the wet lands to prohibit further encroachment on the wetlands.

We were also told that roadwork has begun to blacktop the main highway from Camino Del Sol up to Coconut Palms in Cabarete. Also to be blacktopped are
Callejon de la Loma and the main road into La Cienaga. This work is scheduled to be completed within 3 months.

Does this mean that just in time for tourist season thay are going to tear up and repave the road through the center of Cabarete.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Why, when there is almost a road there already, do they not convert the El Choco track from Sosua to its conclusion in Pata de Gallina into a bypass for Cabarete? If I am talking nonsense, please tell me so.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Windeguy, I can tell you how to contact the brother of PP's sub-sec of environment if you want to pursue it that way? It'd need to be by PM rather than publically. If you want to go the PP environment office, the sub sec is there 8-9 am & 2-3 pm I understand.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Hi Windeguy

Just wondering if you could do a translation of the gist of the article? I tried a translation and it still comes out garbled. Please?

:ermm::ermm:

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Government pledges $$ for Cabarete Bypass

September 16 article in Puerto Plata Digital announced money for the Cabarete Bypass:

Puerto Plata Digital

Here is the relevant portion of the article translated into English using Google Translate:

For his part, Secretary of Tourism, Francisco Javier announced that it entered into the diversion of the highway that passes through the center of Cabarete and invest about 35 million dollars to promote tourism in Puerto Plata on the outside.

Reactions: windeguy

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Thanks, Windy Person, but I don't think a million dollars will be enough to complete the project. So its likely a down payment for engineering or other initial costs.

I read somewhere that the President also announced that four story construction will be allowed in Cabarete.

Did anyone else see that? Is it true?

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Translation

Oh, Wind Man, it appears to me that "concertar" translates to more than "thinking about."

Here is the quote from the article in Spanish:

"De su lado, el secretario de Turismo, Francisco Javier anunci? que concertaron el desv?o de la autopista que pasa por el centro de Cabarete"

I found this definition/translation of concertar:

concertar
Function: transitive verb
Language: Spanish
{ 55 }

1 : to arrange, to set up
2 : to agree on, to settle
3 : to harmonize
intransitive verb

: to be in harmony

Thus, the Secretary of Tourism announced that they were arranging, setting up, agreeing on or settling the detour around Cabarete. They are going to need a lot of money to pull it off harmoniously, though!