is the DR postal service any better when using certified mail?

carlosmanuel44

May 14, 2009
???FIRST POST!!!

Since most people in this forum claim the DR postal service is unreliable i wonder if it is the same to use either regular shipping or certified mail to send a package full of cheap gifts to the US?

Feb 7, 2007
Yes, and the addresses will look similar to those that you can see on Codetel and EdeXX bills, etc, such as:

Calle Juan Juanito #25
casa color azul
Al lado de la banca Suzy
detras de la Ferreteria Chuchu
entrando por la calle XYZ, a la 3ra esquina derecha

Though the reference points are made up, "addresses" like this one really exist and are referred that way in real systems, such as Codetel or EDExxx.

But also another rarity, you can put "QUALA Dominicana, Haina" or "Amable Motors, Higuey" and you don't even bother to put more info and the stuff gets there. I wonder if I sent a letter to "Lufthansa, Frankfurt" whether it would arrive.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
It's good when sending from here ....

We've sent loads of small items out without problem. Make sure it's registered and signed for and it seems to work all the time. (Well at least from Sosua Post Office).

If sending to here I've found that brown envelopes get here unhindered in days. (Maybe they think it's a bill so don't bother to open it).

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
I think that works now, at least in Sosua. And if you do not get your mail straight to your house, you can always go to ask at the office and leave your name and phone number and she will call you.
:surprised

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
When I used to live in La Barbacoa I once had two letters delivered to me by a postman, two letters from an Insurance Company, TWO years old!!