before you hang with the newly rich dom-yorks, read this.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have seen quite a few guys from USA coming to DR and making friends with some newly rich dominican yorks or simply ghetto rich domincians who are spending insane amount of money on cars and building empty plazas, investing money on failed discos & bars. We have our fair share of these guys in santiago. They have brought huge sum of cash from usa and now don't know where to spend it. One guy drives a 1/2 million dollar car in santiago and owns various plazas and carwashes etc. I doubt if he is making money from any of his businesses in santiago. He owns a collection of fancy super expensive cars. If you meet him, you would be surprised to see, the guy's presence matches with a truck driver from the bronx. No education and rough appearance.
Another guy came (25 yrs old) who bought one of the most famous restaurants in santiago, failed in the beginning, then he ends up in jail in NY in a drug bust and now the place is running by his friend who bought the business and built it up differently. santiagueros know whom I am talking about. Then you have a guy who owns disco/bar where no one goes yet he drives a late model Hummer (the big one) and yet he is no more than 32 yrs old. He also looks like he is a high school dropout.
So where am i getting with all this:
these guys coming from dangerous backgrounds and are living the fast lives. Now all of the sudden they are dropping dead all around us. If you remember the young man from santiago who was in puerto plata to have a contract signed by a business man for building and installing some windows and doors on the newly built property. This was the day the business man was due a hit. The business man gets hit by the hitman and my friend from santiago goes down with him. Dead from the first bullet that hit him. bad luck? yes, being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong guy.
Now we heard the owner of a bar in santiago where stripper girls dance was killed on highway. Then some musician from a tipica band was killed. now last week the famous young man who managed an up & coming bachata / balada group was shot dead right in his home parking lot. Wow, I knew the guy well. Nice guy, young and rich. he was also the owner of a disco in santiago which closed down. now the same disco is re-opened and run by another young dom-york with lots of money.
The last case was a sad case as I knew this guy personally. He was a nice guy but god knows why he was hit. I hate to guess why but we all know what goes on in santiago among a certain group of individuals.
This is why I stay away from chevas regal drinking dominican yorks with fancy hummers and porches. They invite me to beach and lakes where they take hot girls and spend afternoons in jet skies. No way jose, i would never go with them anywhere. I simply meet and greet them and then walk away. that's all. I don't even feel comfortable hanging out with the guy who owns property by the lake in my previous pictures. he is a nice guy but his friends are very shady. One never knows what can happen to these people and if I am with them, I go down just as easily. these guys are being watched by others, including the police, FBI, interpol and DNI.
Do not confuses these people with the rich families in this country who are well educated and their wealth comes from generations. the dominican york rich are all ghetto looking and speak street english and barrio spanish. they love to act rich by going to tribecca bar in santiago, upper level. they order expensive liquor, take along fake blonds from barrios, dress in 1000 dollar suits with crocodile shoes etc. they are usually surrounded by other deportees and barrio tigres. These guys are nice and if you speak english, they love to take you as friends. many new foreign guys are so impressed by their gesture and generosity they jump at the first invitation they give you.
all I am saying is. be careful. these guys live a fast, but short lives.
AZB

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Sounds like the 81's might be in town for a reason. Maybe now all those Hells Angels around the island are making sense... gotta pay to play... God help you if you don't!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
AZB brings up a very important point. Most people may think twice about "hanging" with some shady hot shot because they don't want to see themselves "implicated" by the law... and then, find a way to persuade themselves to hang around with them anyway, thinking, as long they don't get "involved" (business wise), there is nothing to be pinned on them, forgetting what AZB warns about. These guys, have made enemies, enemies which operate in similar ways and won't think twice about "colateral" damage when payback time comes around!

To top that, one should also be reminded that HERE the "law" is too many times too deep into it to offer you a safe heaven once the going gets tough.

... J-D.

Reactions: MikeFisher

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can easily recognize barrio chopo carcass by the car he drives: always the most expensive, totaly stand-out car possible. then there is enough gold on his necks to make him drown if he accidentally falls into the piscina. i don't know where they money is coming from but i have a strong feeling it is as dirty as can be.
i see them in POP as well, some of this drug dealer trash still live in a shack in a barrio yet drive expensive jeepeta...
in any case, i agree with AZB - it is a mistake to hang out with them just like it is a mistake to buy drugs in DR. if not other gangsta then police will surely kill you one day if you do.
the thing that really gets me mental in here is that barrio dominicans do not know how to spend their money. they never save or invest. they just spend. sad. regardless of the source of cash they could use it to give their kids better future. oh, well...

May 12, 2005
Pretty interesting observation AZB. Over the last year or so I can't begin to tell you how much increase there has been in the talk amongst young street tigueres here in NY. Talk about making lots of money here and going "home" to DR to live like kings. It would seem that many of them are making this a reality.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But they're good for the "internal economy"...:cheeky:

It reminds me of Miami during the Colombia Cowboy era in the 70's-80's: Lots O'Money, Lots O'Cars, no visable means of support, ventilated bodies suddenly appearing from no where...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Ginnie,
write the next book about it,
on the other side those trashers do not deserve a line from your hand, lol.
it is nothing new,
of course the OP show's it exactly like it is,
and not only in Santiagi, even that Santiago is a bit of a Capitol for that trash,
those nutheads show up everywhere,
nobody likes them nowhere b/c everybody knows they are worth less than the dirt under a real man's shoes.
people "like" 'em as long as they pay for some drinks and chics, but they never get 'friends' nowhere, not on this Island.
DV8,
even easy to spot on their model of car they drive which does by it's value not fit to the look on their 'intelligent' face or style of walk or wrong placed/not fitting jewlery/trousers 3 numbers bigger than the lil dig in 'em aso,
the best to spot them is their driving style,
b/c those streetsuckers never had the opportunitiy to get sent to driving school.
o.k, any school.

but guys,
if a newby to the Isle, to any Isle, to any foreign country,
starts to stick with such trash here or anywhere,
even thinks to make business with such who have no brain,
only b/c they drive the fancy Landcruiser and show big rings and no balls,
who looses money on such should not come up here on the bord and wine about that, b/c he just would be one who got ripped off by one of his street-kind.

let 'em do their parties and have some fun with what they call Gals on a beach or at Mom's river crossing,
it's their short lifetime decision,
we will last.
and always save a shot for some.
Mike

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
So from this post I learned that cars that give you away as "barrio, chopo" class are: BIG hummers, Land Cruisers...what else?

I understand and agree with what has been said here but if I drive a Hummer or a Land Cruiser or any other expensive car for that matter will I be mistaken for a barrio low class person? Or is it the car accompanied by the way you carry yourself that gives you away? I ask these questions because I have friennds that drive expensive cars and they are not chopos. They come from poor barrios like me, have tattoos and drink Chivas or JWB. Goshhhh this is soooooo confusing some times!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So from this post I learned that cars that give you away as "barrio, chopo" class are: BIG hummers, Land Cruisers...what else?

I understand and agree with what has been said here but if I drive a Hummer or a Land Cruiser or any other expensive car for that matter will I be mistaken for a barrio low class person? Or is it the car accompanied by the way you carry yourself that gives you away? I ask these questions because I have friennds that drive expensive cars and they are not chopos. They come from poor barrios like me, have tattoos and drink Chivas or JWB. Goshhhh this is soooooo confusing some times!

yes it may be confusing if you know one single guy who is young, tattoos, comes from poor barrio and then all of the sudden he drives a late model Mercedes suv and yet he has no education and no real job. The dominicans (not the expats) will confuse him for a drug dealer. I don't think dominicans would, at first, confuse him for a famous plastic surgeon but then change their minds later.
there is little to be confused about. This trend is wide spread among these kinds of guys. they all dress, talk and live the same. very few exceptions, if any.
AZB

Apr 3, 2009
You Are What You Pretend to Be

...I ask these questions because I have friennds that drive expensive cars and they are not chopos. They come from poor barrios like me, have tattoos and drink Chivas or JWB...
I can't wait for AZB to respond to this question!!

-BB :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is not exactly the car, el tigre, it's the whole package. it's the hummer, the gold, tatoos, shouting, expensive mobile, yorkie clothes. it's the language, the behavior, all that.
land cruiser is quite popular among rich dominicans anyway, just like any other big car. a normal dominican, however, will actually have a trunk instead of a huge set of speakers.
one of my tios even drives H2 - i think it's the middle life crisis :cheeky: - but he wears dress pants and normal shirt, your avegare looking dude.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Also check (no pun intended :cheeky:) before you hang with the neighbours in some of the more gringo communities - the Czech resident at 77 Casa Linda was allegedly running a drugs laboratory & this isn't the first time police have arrested foreigners in that location. About a year ago there were 2 European guys using EPS for postal out deliveries - they lived in Casa Linda also. This guy wasn't caught because he set his dogs on the DNCD.
Sosua Online

But AZB's warning equally applies - and if Europeans are muscling in on local turf, even more chance that someone would arrange a contractual termination.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
"Before You Hang With the newly Rich Dom-yorks, Read This"
name of the thread.

I am so relieved to read all this info, because I was about to do just that, go hang with some punk domi-yorks who had promosed me an unforgettable night in that oh-so sophisticated city of Santiago de los Caballeros.
Was actually quickly on my way, when, suddenly I read this thread on my Blackberry.
I had the driver stop my '09 Cayenne twin turbo, to just take a leak on the turistica on the way over, and immediately we did a 180 and came back to the north coast. Whew, thank god for technology, eh? as it could have been a disaster.
I can feel the 9mm against my neck; the fear, the adrenalin rush of gringo vs. the 'hood.
Man, you guys may have saved my life.
Thank you all so much.

Reactions: Celt202

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
"Before You Hang With the newly Rich Dom-yorks, Read This"
name of the thread.

I am so relieved to read all this info, because I was about to do just that, go hang with some punk domi-yorks who had promosed me an unforgettable night in that oh-so sophisticated city of Santiago de los Caballeros.
Was actually quickly on my way, when, suddenly I read this thread on my Blackberry.
I had the driver stop my '09 Cayenne twin turbo, to just take a leak on the turistica on the way over, and immediately we did a 180 and came back to the north coast. Whew, thank god for technology, eh? as it could have been a disaster.
I can feel the 9mm against my neck; the fear, the adrenalin rush of gringo vs. the 'hood.
Man, you guys may have saved my life.
Thank you all so much.

Man, you should be an author. Great read I predict.:glasses: