what the tigres are up to?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe this thread should be named, the tigres' corner.
Like many have noticed before, I keep a close watch on the local tigres and see what they are all up to. their inventions are worth looking into. The last time I looked into their corner, i witnessed magicjack working flawlessly on a linksys pap2 voip box. What they had done was to convert magicjack into a working vonage type phone system without the use of pc. voip box is programmed with magicjack data and connected straight to a router. So in reality, you get an american phone line without the monthly bill. Nice. some tigres have made a full blown business out of it.

Now I was looking into their corner again to see what else they were up to?
Turns out the new trick they are playing is quite concerning to people like myself. These guys are designing and even importing high gain antennas to pick up unsecured wifi signals even from a few blocks down the road and connecting their computers with it. Ok, so this is nothing new. If you keep your router open to public, your neighbors will connect to it. But wait, not its not just the neighbors, it could be a tigre down 2 block from your home. He will download movies and mp3 files and slow your system to a crawl. Oh boy.
So now you use a wep security key to lock on to your internet? No problem, these guys are cracking your wep key like we crack a peanut.
I guess the higher security scheme would be a better option.
So still, not anything new. right? wrong!
Now the tigres are buying up linksys wrt54G router and modifying it with open firmwares and using it to bridge the network. What it means is, they are hacking into your open or secured wifi from a distance away (using huge custom made high gain antennas on the roof). then their router receives the signal and then re-routes it wireless or via 4 ports in the back to your whole system in your house. even your neighbor can get into the action. So a whole house down the road maybe hooked up to your high speed system.
To make matters worse, one tigre is even selling dsl internet service to anyone in his barrio (neighborhood) for 300 pesos/month. he pulls in signal from a company (high speed) and then re-broadcasts it to his clients with a security key. hahahaha. he rents the high gain antenna and hardware etc.
So if I were you, i better use a more complex security scheme on your router. I am getting off wep.
AZB

Reactions: BermudaRum

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
All newer routers allow for WPA and WPA2 encryption which should be used instead of WEP. Also keep in mind if someone has gained access to your network and you don't have internal security on the PCs and devices on the network they are in danger of being accessed also. This is why you should have a password on all your computer accounts also.

Reactions: BermudaRum

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
oh boy, I have just upgraded my wireless security to wpa personal and used a tough passphrase as the key. All of the sudden my internet has become twice as fast. Now I am wondering if some S.O.B was stealing my internet all along and was invisible some how on my router (DHCP client table)? Could that be done?
Anyway, I feel more secured now, knowing some tigre would have to work very hard to break my code.
AZB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and the Tigueres in your 'hood seem to be cheapies,
just 20-30 neighbours connected for 300 pesos a month doesn't sound like something they could talk about on Dom York Streets,
sounds more like small balls Chamacitos, lol.
with WPA you will be fine and they go on to take the fria 'fiao'.
Mike

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Good read ! Keep'em coming !

My wireless network is "in the middle of nowhere" (except during long week-ends when Capitale?os are coming...) but I get the idea...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
oh boy, I have just upgraded my wireless security to wpa personal and used a tough passphrase as the key. All of the sudden my internet has become twice as fast. Now I am wondering if some S.O.B was stealing my internet all along and was invisible some how on my router (DHCP client table)? Could that be done?
Anyway, I feel more secured now, knowing some tigre would have to work very hard to break my code.
AZB

It depends if the device that was routing was your wireless router or your ISP modem. I now use Personal WPA and I am invisible to anybody who is scanning the area for networks, in order to connect to the network you will need the SSID (name of the wireless network) and then you will need the difficult password to log in. Good look with that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
and the Tigueres in your 'hood seem to be cheapies,
just 20-30 neighbours connected for 300 pesos a month doesn't sound like something they could talk about on Dom York Streets,
sounds more like small balls Chamacitos, lol.

with WPA you will be fine and they go on to take the fria 'fiao'.
Mike
Mr. fisher, when did I ever say they were selling 300 pesos / month in my hood?
if you read correctly i stated the 'tigre was selling the 300/month service in his hood". I do not have to be living in barrios to know what is going on there. I am a very curios person and I keep an eye on what goes on in this country, especially in santiago. Its always good to keep up with the tigres mindset, to stay ahead of them.
I was concerned because now they have antenna to catch signals as far away as 2 KM. damn.
AZB

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
if you read correctly i stated the 'tigre was selling the 300/month service in his hood". I do not have to be living in barrios to know what is going on there. I am a very curios person and I keep an eye on what goes on in this country, especially in santiago. Its always good to keep up with the tigres mindset, to stay ahead of them.
I was concerned because now they have antenna to catch signals as far away as 2 KM. damn.
AZB

Curiosity killed the cat;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
would never think of tigueres being high tech LOL

Oh yes, the tigres are very high tech. they also read the hacker's forum on the net. these kids are up to date with all the gadgets. You will be surprised to know so many tigres have the real iphone and almost everywhere you `can have any smartphone hacked and unlocked, jail-broken. this all happens in barrios and in tigre shops.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a VWR voip wireless router and it has a feature that shows me who is connected to the wireless system. Shouldn't this be enough to monitor my system?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
AZB

hey hey,
don't get me wrong,
i did not wanna intend you are living in a Tigere-hood,
ecen that it is hard on the Isle to find a place very far from the next Tigeres, he he.

it is like written above, use the WPA or WPA2 coding of your wireless router, i use a linksys router here at home with the PC's and for the Veranda the Laptop connected, keeps the house without those bothering cables everywhere, so to connect to that wireless that very long code is needed on the 'puter who wanna get connected.
til now i did not hear that they cracked such,
but on the other side today's in case of electronics nothing is really impossible.
it's the best protection actually.
Mike

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have a VWR voip wireless router and it has a feature that shows me who is connected to the wireless system. Shouldn't this be enough to monitor my system?

You would think it is all you need. but but, what if they have a way of being invisible? Its really that hard to do?
AZB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if you have a router which does not allow the feature to put such code in, plug it off when not used by yourself, that bothers the thieves and they look for an other source. but today's wireless router should all have the encoding option.
Mike

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Like the day I came by and used my Wi-Fi Skype and made a telephone call to a U.S. number through your Internet connection?

You would have to be watching the screen constantly to see someone get on your connection.

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Like the day I came by and used my Wi-Fi Skype and made a telephone call to a U.S. number through your Internet connection?

You would have to be watching the screen constantly to see someone get on your connection.

Don

SantiagoDR is right. How often do we log into our router to see what IP is connected? maybe once in 6 months?
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe never???? AZB, you need to come by here for some beer and food...or just beer...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My question was that IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO SURMISE that someone was making an unauthorized connection by checking the wireless router one could and if so take action from there. I'm not suggesting that one needs to checking this all day long - good grief! Como la gente siempre le gusta exagerar las cosas, el pipo!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My question was that IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO SURMISE that someone was making an unauthorized connection by checking the wireless router one could and if so take action from there. I'm not suggesting that one needs to checking this all day long - good grief! Como la gente siempre le gusta exagerar las cosas, el pipo!

I say, there could be a way the tigres could make themselves invisible to the router and still be connected. After I have changed my security to wpa, my internet is so much faster now.
AZB