English School gets broken into

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hello to All, I have a private English school that I set up over a year ago to help the local Dominicans and Haitians learn American English. Someone broke into the school two days ago and they stole 5 Dell computers, my inverter with 6 batteries and a HP laser printer that I had in the class room. I have gone to the fiscal and the local police but it seems like there is nothing much I can do. The police want money and more money to put gas in there cars and pay for there meals so they can look for the thieves.
I have 42 great students (see myspace.com/academialatinaamericana) that have been studying for sometime now and they are very eager to learn English. Now I have been left with out anything to teach my classes with. What can I do as an American living and working in the DR to try to recoup my losses?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There will be little that you can do to recoup your losses, unfortunatley.

I suggest reviewing the current security system you have in place and make the changes as necessary. As far as getting new computers down to the DR, the best bet is to buy the components only (like refurbished Dells) and have them shipped to you via a private mail service. Remember each box you ship can only have a maximum value of US200 otherwise you will be hit with probably a substantial import tax.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The guy gets broken into, and the best you folks can do is correct his grammar?

UNFREAKING-BELIEVABLE!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Like A/C in Iron Cages

_ Someone broke into the school two days ago and they stole 5 Dell computers, my inverter with 6 batteries and a HP laser printer that I had in the class room.
Although it may be little consolation, schools get broken into everywhere, just like any other place.
The stolen things are typical items which can be sold easily within hours, thus little hope to get them back.
It's really a pity that doing good is made so difficult in this country.

donP.

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
Thanks Chip

Thanks Chip, I have burglar bars on all the windows and doors. They pried the bars out of the concrete walls and made an entry threw a window in the back of the school. I don?t understand how, but this all happened in the day time and nobody will say that they saw anything. I thought that all of my neighbors were good folks. Unfortunately my funds are very limited to repurchase the equipment that I have lost. This really sucks!! We come to this country with a sincere heart in order to help young people have new opportunities in their lives and some low life has to come and ruin it for the ones who want to do well.
Bob, sorry for the typo, I have been down in the dumps over this. I have some great students that I have grown to like very much. They really put a lot of effort to learn our native language. I had a 6 year old student crying because I was not able to give class yesterday. The local authorities just want to play games with me. I feel that I have lost enough as it is.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Bob, sorry for the typo, I have been down in the dumps over this.

Please DON'T apologise. You should never have been criticised in the first place. El-Profe is a Cuban American who has come here to help out & whose Spanish is doubtless a whole lot better than that of the person who picked him up on an error.

Can I suggest something, El-Profe? There are other missionary and voluntary schools not too far away from you, plus some well funded private ones. Could you approach them to see if they have a computer or two which they are not using, enough to keep you going class-wise in the meanwhile. Could your Church approach electronic companies in Santiago to see if one would make a donation of an inverter for a good cause? Alternatively, there might be some English teachers reading this who have written materials they could help you out with, to keep the children engaged until you find a solution for the stolen computers. One way might be to ask computer stores or internet cafes for a donation of an old computer.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am sure this is a silly & unnecessary comment to make El-Profe but you DID have it all insured didn't you? Get the Mums & Dads of the children plus the local community authorities to put pressure on the insurance company to pay up quickly & allow you to buy new stuff.

Forgive my forthrightness but were you perhaps hoping DR1 members might volunteer some cash/alternative computer gear for you to use in your school? This being your FIRST post on DR1 & your only joining this month rather dampens the likelihood of that I am afraid!

I wish you every Good Luck in finding replacement hardware etc quickly (& cheaply) ~ Grahame.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're in a tourist or ex-pat area, post notices at the places where the ex-pats/tourists hang out and ask for donations, both cash and equipment. No need to be shy at this point and maybe you can get started again.

Ive already given away my old computers, or I'd be happy to help out...but there are probably people out there who have some old equipment they're not using. I also donated my old inverter to a small school. So there are people out there who may be willing to help.

Good luck and if you are able to get up and running again, definitely improve your security!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It may make sense to go with getting traditional materials to teach English from here on out. First, I'm sure it will be quite economical to get the kids back to learning again and I very much doubt any theif will find much of a market for a few English books.

If there is something in your teaching techniques that requires a computer, you could get an overhead projector that could work with a laptop.

Just remember, if you do decide to re-equip with computers, don't expect this problem to go away. To be really safe you need to have a security alarm system and maybe even a guard when you are not there. This is what many businesses that have valuables do to secure their business.

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
This happened in Jarabacoa, a small town in the mountains close to La Vega. This is a relatively quite community with a lot of good people who want to learn.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You may want to post a formal request here on DR1 for travellers coming in the next few weeks to bring you english text books and other class materials. There are always people coming to the DR looking for ways to help the local children and this could be a simple and inexpensive way to help.

Be prepared to arrange pick up of the materials from Santo Domingo, Santiago, or Puerto Plata...maybe you could have someone in those areas collect the donations and put them on Caribe Tours...

I agree with Chip that this may be an easier and safer way to outfit the classroom...I don't think the local ladrones will be as interested in books and pencils...

El-Profe

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2009
www.myspace.com
I did not have any Insurance on the equipment. Everything I had, I bought my self or I brought with me when I came to the DR. I'm not one to go around asking for hand outs or money. If someone wants to help in some way I would appreciate any help but again I don't like to ask.