You got to be kidding me!!! Life is so cheap!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I wonder what extenuating circumstances could they find ($$$$$) in this case to give him any less than the maximum of 30 years...

Sad thing is he'll probably serve about 1/2 if even before he's put and about.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I heard somewhere that the maximum penalty under the law for any crime no mater how heinous in the DR is only 30 years in prison. Is this really true?? And they don't even have capital punishment! (at least not officially legally sanctioned, that is)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
This murder caused quite a stir in Sosua at the time (I remember reporting it on my website) - there are probably some posts on DR1 if anyone cares to search. At the time the report was that the lady was Austrian. Here are some of the newspaper reports from May 2008:
Puerto Plata Digital

Asesinan madre austr?aca y a su hijo reci?n nacido en Sos?a

El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

you are the perfect source for missing info, like always.
i surfed throu all i found on the theme,
but i did not find the reason/explanation why he received this low prison time.
hopefully he will not be released before that time is over.
Mike

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are probably wrong there Mike. You can see in the papers where this kid Molin? is requesting parole after serving just 1/2 of his sentence after murdering, raping a young boy and getting 20 years. And if the victim's friends and family were not there in court with a bevy of lawyers, I am sure he would bet out.

This Swiss woman and her baby don't have anyone to go to court and protest the parole in 8 1./2 years....how sad...

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Baby killer

He will not serve the 19 years. This baby killer can expect some jailhouse justice.

Regards,
PJT

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You are probably wrong there Mike. You can see in the papers where this kid Molin? is requesting parole after serving just 1/2 of his sentence after murdering, raping a young boy and getting 20 years. And if the victim's friends and family were not there in court with a bevy of lawyers, I am sure he would bet out.

This Swiss woman and her baby don't have anyone to go to court and protest the parole in 8 1./2 years....how sad...

HB

You know even if the victim's family was there in court the perp would probably still get out. The reason Moline is not going to get out sooner is because the victim's family are as well off as the Moline's family. If it was Joe Schmoe's kid who had been killed he would already be out.

Edm: 30 years is he maximum penalty which should normally be sufficient (30 years in a Dominican jail is like 100 in a US jail) and we don't believe in capital punishment (not officially anyway), but there are people who serve as little as 2 years for murder depending on who they killed, how much money they have, etc..

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Luis and Suarezn, you probably know of incidents like the one I'm about to say, but the Moline kid and the other one that is doing 30 years are frequently seen out and about in Santo Domingo. I would normally disregard stories like this one, but when an old friend from school said that he saw Moline on Lincoln Ave numerous times, I even felt a bit disrespected because of that poor kid. But then again, DR is the place where Vivian Lubrano gets off scot-free, based on her medical condition, even though the laws do not allow a pardon unless the inmate (which she never was) has spent half of his or her sentence in prison. Hopefully, when that asteroid lands in 2012 or whenever, it lands directly on Leonel's @ss and takes the entire Congress during inaguration day. That would be quite entertaining!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Did Florian Feliz die at the hands of a hitman? Did he have a price on his head?

It sounded like he lived better in jail than many people I know who are law-abiding citizens(quoted from DR1)...

Florian Feliz's quality of life affected

"Narcotrafficker Rolando Florian Feliz was relocated to Najayo jail after he resisted a search of his cell at Monte Plata jail on Saturday, ordered by the Prisons department director, Juan Ramon de la Cruz.

Florian was also punished with a 30-day ban on visits. As reported in El Caribe, during the inspection, carried out by Monte Plata prosecutor Cipriano de Jesus Vargas, appliances, mobile phones and liquor were confiscated. These included a laptop, air conditioning unit, bottles of wine and vodka, a billiard table, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, television set, fan, stereo, washing machine, electricity inverter, stove, two exercise machines and a Chihuahua dog.

The decision was taken after Florian injured two officers who were carrying out a search of his cell in Monte Plata. Listin Diario refers to Florian Feliz as a well-known leading drug smuggler, second only to former army captain Quirino Paulino Castillo. He is serving a 20-year sentence for drug smuggling."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Florian was also punished with a 30-day ban on visits. As reported in El Caribe, during the inspection, carried out by Monte Plata prosecutor Cipriano de Jesus Vargas, appliances, mobile phones and liquor were confiscated. These included a laptop, air conditioning unit, bottles of wine and vodka, a billiard table, a refrigerator, stove, microwave, television set, fan, stereo, washing machine, electricity inverter, stove, two exercise machines and a Chihuahua dog."

I am speechless....HOW did all this fit in his cell and HOW did it get in there? (yeah, yeah, I know, stupid question) Simply mindboggling! Seriously sounds like he was living in a suite, not a cell. The entire hierarchy of the prison should be fired over that!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I am speechless....HOW did all this fit in his cell and HOW did it get in there? (yeah, yeah, I know, stupid question) Simply mindboggling! Seriously sounds like he was living in a suite, not a cell. The entire hierarchy of the prison should be fired over that!

I don't know much about the Dominican prison system, but apparently if you are a high profile prisoner with plenty of money you can live like a king, with a cell large enough to fit all of the stuff Feliz had in his cell and much more.

These cells are not what you would think-some are like suites with separate rooms.

The amenities include communication with the outside world, protection, much better food, an endless supply of women and the drugs/alcohol of your choice.

It's the regular underdog rat bastard barrio tigres with no money and no connections who have to sleep on the floor on top of the other losers in the hallways of the overflowing prisons and have to eat the regular jailhouse slop-and that's if they're lucky.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Not difficult to arrange perks for prisoners but you have to know who to charm :) .

When the innocent US citizen Stuart of Otro Mundo was in Fortaleza, Puerto Plata for 14 months before being exonerated of all charges 10 years ago, I took a refrigerator into him. And he wasn't a high-end rich criminal; in fact he wasn't a criminal at all. He rented his miniscule cell, approx 11 foot by 6 foot (RS$ 4000 per month covered rent & protection money to the longterm prisoners who ran the prison) and the fridge went on the floor, next to the electric cooker and horizontally above those went the plank of wood with the mattress which was his bed & each night he climbed up a little wooden ladder to go to bed.

I drove the fridge in in my old jeep - they opened the barriers for me; by then they knew me well because I visited every 2 weeks. They took everything out of the fridge & searched it under my watchful gaze - didn't want wires being pulled out of housings :cheeky:. And the reason for all this? Therapy. To keep an innocent man occupied so he didn't go nuts; he made cakes & muffins in his little cell which he sold to the prison colmado or gave to significant members of staff to make life a little easier for him.