Wheat free products

JosieRobb

Jan 17, 2009
Has anyone had any luck getting wheat free/gluten free bread and pasta?

Also does anyone know if there is a Health Food shop anywhere - we are in Cabarete and had heard there might be one in Santiago.

:bunny: Josie

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I know that there is a GNC in the Capitol, but It doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for. If you are looking for gluten fee wheat pasta/ bread, good luck finding it.

In the future, remember to stock up on this sort of thing before you leave So. California or Greenwich Villiage to fly here; Southern California and Greenwich Villiage, .... the only 2 places I know of in the World where people seem to "suffer" in large concentrations from an intolerance to wheat. :tired:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There was a recent thread mentioning a health-food products aisle in Playero, IIRC. If not, try La Sirena in POP or Nacional in Santiago - they do sell these products.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a section of healthy food in la sirena in POP. you may find few products there.

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
A friend of mine has to have gluten free products. She went to Santiago yesterday and found many suitable items in National, including pasta I believe.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi JosieRobb

There is actually a distinction between gluten free and wheat free and certainly heath foods Chirimoya. And Nikki is right , there is usually quite a selection at National Supermarket in Santiago

Wheat free and Gluten free products are available at :
Janets Supermarket Cabarete
Rice Flour
Rice Spring roll skins Rose Brand

These are on the end of the row opposite the potatoes and onion counter.

Maria Corn Tortia – these are wheat free
Fortuna Casabi Crackers – Gluten free

Playero Sosua
By the meat counter in the Chinese section

Maria Nachos – 100% corn

National Supermarket Santiago
De Bols Rice Lasagne -Gluten free
De Bols Rice Spaghetti Style pasta – Gluten free
De Bols Corn Spaghetti Style Pasta – Gluten Free
Riso Gallo Pasta of various sorts (Rice )
Gallo Biscuits –Maria and Chocolate Chip are sometimes available – Gluten free and Wheat free

These are located straight in from the entrance on the “Diet” island before you get to the Baby stuff and meat counter.

La Serena Santiago

Riso Gallo Pasta of various sorts
Gallo Biscuits –Maria type and Chocolate Chip are sometimes available – Gluton free and Wheat free

La Serena Puerto Plata
Gallo Biscuits –Maria and Chocolate Chip are sometimes available – Gluton free and Wheat free

Celiac or Coeliac is described in Wiki :
Coeliac disease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this is what you have I can understand your need for gluten free foods.

I hope the above helps but they are not always in stock!!

Olly

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Southern California and Greenwich Villiage, .... the only 2 places I know of in the World where people seem to "suffer" in large concentrations from an intolerance to wheat. :tired:

HA - well, it actually is an allergy. I'm currently being tested (or will be tested next week) for gluten allergy and it can make a person very miserable and constantly sick. So - don't mock! :)