One of the best Steaks we've had

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
There is a new Rest., not new, but under new owernship in Caberate. Pelican Beach. It's next to Ocean1. We've been there 2 times and the steaks were outstanding both times. One of the best we have had in the DR. It's not cheap. We spent about $1400Dr for dinner with 2 drinks but it was well worth it. Their just getting started and we want them to make it. It may be worth a try.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Yes, same place, but the steaks are the best we have found here. What we have had are as good as we have had in the states. It's one of those things, "you get what you pay for". Only what we think.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
$ 1400 pesos for 2 great steak dinners.....

....and 2 drinks expensive? If it is that great of a steak dinner then that price is cheap.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I bet a cold presidente...

that they are not better than the Swiss steaks down in Callejon de la loma... And Swiss place reasonable priced...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Does the Swiss steak place have great cuts of choice beef or do they make Swiss steak?

Swiss steak recipes are usually the toughest cuts of beef and are pounded with a mallet and then dusted with seasoned flour and then sauted and after that added to a tomoatoe sauce and cooked with the lid on until tender......2 hours later

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Does the Swiss steak place have great cuts of choice beef or do they make Swiss steak?

Swiss steak recipes are usually the toughest cuts of beef and are pounded with a mallet and then dusted with seasoned flour and then sauted and after that added to a tomoatoe sauce and cooked with the lid on until tender......2 hours later

I am no chef, swiss steak referring to the Swiss guy that runs the restaurant. I have never been disappointed there. Tender good size steaks. I always forget the name. Los Locos D'Enfrente maybe?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We've eaten at both. Swiss place the gianta steak is bigger. The steak at Pelican Beach is more tender. Both are good. We just think the new one is much better.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Y'all need to try Rancho Steakhouse on Ave. Argentina behind Matum in Santiago.

Excellent, and not a tourist place.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
well for 400rd you can have the best steak and the best view of moca ...... the place is Cafeto and the tenderloin is the best....i have had the swiss steak, and even buy meat where he buys his, but it still doesn't compare to Cafeto....just drive up the road from sabaneta to moca and in la cumbre ( on top of the hill ) is the place....excellent...maybe i will try the one at the Pelican

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Which has better steaks, Rancho or Puerto Madera?
Rancho has been there for a while.

I've eaten in 3 restaurants where Puerto Madera is located. PM is OK, but the Argentinian place that preceeded it was better.

PM is a little less expensive than Rancho, but Rancho is a class restaurant.

I'd say Rancho is better, but PM is good bang-for-the-buck. Make sense?

Reactions: DavidZ

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

I've eaten in 3 restaurants where Puerto Madera is located. PM is OK, but the Argentinian place that preceeded it was better.

perfectly. Thanks CB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
well for 400rd you can have the best steak and the best view of moca ...... the place is Cafeto and the tenderloin is the best....i have had the swiss steak, and even buy meat where he buys his, but it still doesn't compare to Cafeto....just drive up the road from sabaneta to moca and in la cumbre ( on top of the hill ) is the place....excellent...maybe i will try the one at the Pelican

This place (and the one next to it, Rancho El Cumbre) are definitely worth the drive from Santiago or Cabarete, about 45 minutes from either one. The views are truly invredible. There's also an Italian place called Il Mulino a few hundred meters around the bend from these two, I haven't been there but I hear its good also... Ive never had the steak at Cafeto, but the crepes are great and very reasonable :)

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Best steak I've ever had ANYWHERE in the D.R. or elsewhere was at La Papillon, just before the turn off to Ocean World when coming from Puerto Plata. Not cheap but we make a point of going there every time we go down.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
....and 2 drinks expensive? If it is that great of a steak dinner then that price is cheap.

Agreed. $1500RD is about $43USD. Eating a cheap steak at Outback would cost more, and there's no ocean view.

Seriously, if that seems prohibitively expensive for 2 quality well-cooked steaks and drinks, then you're probably exclusively in the pizza slices and hot dogs market, and shouldn't be too concerned in the first place.

Sorry to sound snobby, but dang....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Best steak I've ever had ANYWHERE in the D.R. or elsewhere was at La Papillon, just before the turn off to Ocean World when coming from Puerto Plata. Not cheap but we make a point of going there every time we go down.
Opinions vary.

The single wosrt, most expensive meal I've ever had in the DR is from that restaurant.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

I dig Puerto Madero. I have had some great steaks there. I am currently in argentina and the steaks at PM are better than I have had here. It is not as consistently good as when it was owned by the couple from argentina and called "Mi querido buenos aires". . . .. same owners used to own "Che Tango" on 27 de febrero. When the husband from argentina was working the grill best Entrana I have ever had and was expensive. back then an entana at Antonios in SDQ was 500 plus pesos and Che Tango was 960. . . .woth every penny.

This week I have eaten entrana at cabana las lilas and estilo campo in BA and neither were even in the same league as Che Tango was. Food wise anyway as the BA restaurants are very nice.

Now at Puerto Maderos the Entrana is sometimes just as good as Che tango but sometimes a few notches below, but still better than I have had in BA!

I will have to check out Rancho next trip to STI.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I dig Puerto Madero. I have had some great steaks there. I am currently in argentina and the steaks at PM are better than I have had here. It is not as consistently good as when it was owned by the couple from argentina and called "Mi querido buenos aires". . . .. same owners used to own "Che Tango" on 27 de febrero. When the husband from argentina was working the grill best Entrana I have ever had and was expensive. back then an entana at Antonios in SDQ was 500 plus pesos and Che Tango was 960. . . .woth every penny.

This week I have eaten entrana at cabana las lilas and estilo campo in BA and neither were even in the same league as Che Tango was. Food wise anyway as the BA restaurants are very nice.

Now at Puerto Maderos the Entrana is sometimes just as good as Che tango but sometimes a few notches below, but still better than I have had in BA!

I will have to check out Rancho next trip to STI.
Totally agree on the Argentinians that owned Che Tango and two restaurants before PM.

PM is OK, not real complaints. However, the churrasco there is not skirt steak, it's some other cut of meat. A lot of food for the money.

Rafael, one of the best meals I've had in the DR was with you @ Antonio's. Awesome.:classic:

GFar

Jan 23, 2007
I am going to try this Rancho Steakhouse tonight!! I am going to have to post a result coment tomarrow! Behing Matum!