2 women returning from DR test positive for swine flu!!!!

trapmuzik

Dec 15, 2006
SANTIAGO, May 17 (Xinhua) -- Chilean health authorities on Sunday confirmed a second case of the A/H1N1 flu, hours after the first case was confirmed.

Both victims were women over 30 who had arrived in Chile from the Dominican Republic. The second woman is a friend of the first, who had arrived from Punta Cana, aboard Copa Airlines flight 437.

That flight carried over 100 people and health authorities are now working hard to locate all of those aboard, Health Minister Alvaro Erazo told reporters.

Earlier in the day, Erazo said the first woman had been quarantined at the Thorax Hospital in the capital and was receiving anti-viral treatment.

He said the fever scanner installed at the airport terminal had shown effectiveness, "allowing us appropriate detection and information of every person entering the country."

Sources at Copa Airlines said they were cooperating with authorities in seeking passengers on the Saturday flight.

The World Health Organization said that there are now 8,451 cases of the disease worldwide, but only six deaths outside of Mexico, with four in the United States and one each in Canada and Costa Rica. The United States now has 4,714 cases of the flu, the largest number across the globe.

Chile confirms second A/H1N1 flu case just hours after first_English_Xinhua

donP

Dec 14, 2008
2+2=4

And flight was from SD not Punta Cana, according to this:
El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

Where we read:
"El ministro indic? que tambi?n son sospechosa de portar el virus dos personas que no viajaban junto a las contagiadas, en un vuelo desde el destino tur?stico de Punta Cana, pero que tuvieron contacto con ellas."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nobody indicates where these women were BEFORE they were in the DR....

this could be the beginning...I sure hope people do not get all panicky...be a shame..

Stay well and wash your hands...Orange is sending out messages about washing your hands...

Splish splash I was taking a bath...

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Nobody indicates where these women were BEFORE they were in the DR....

this could be the beginning...I sure hope people do not get all panicky...be a shame..

Stay well and wash your hands...Orange is sending out messages about washing your hands...

Splish splash I was taking a bath...

HB

..... and ALL of us in Santiago thank you HB ! ;) ;) ;) lol

......the fever scanner (Chilean) installed at the airport terminal had shown effectiveness, "allowing us appropriate detection and information of every person entering the country."

Guess the DR only checks those arriving in the country............

Don

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Lets hope this was (and stays) an isolated incident. I find it interesting that US media coverage of the swine flu virtually dissappeared, despite the infections increasing and WHO about to raise their alert level to level 6, the highest.

I guess it was overkill in the beginning, people got tired of the story.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Tamiflu

Where can one buy TAMIFLU?
How much is it?

I called a few pharmacies already.... :tired:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i thought that tamiflu is not sold in DR?

Correct. I looked into this a few years back at the time of avian flu & got a supply in from UK (prescription only, not easy when you're not physically there but a friend helped ;) expensive stuff then btw). I checked again with local farmacias when A/H1N1 first appeared - same result. I then had a doctor look into it: according to my sources the DR Government has ordered a supply for Public Health Ministry, in case it is needed, & this will be distributed free of charge, I was told, but it will not be on sale in farmacias for anyone who wants to get their own supply in. The only antivirals easily obtainable in DR are amantadine and rimantadine, which aren't used for A/H1N1.

However, in the unlikely event that tamiflu is needed the Government will be in charge of distribution, so it should be available. I know, I know, but we'll probably never need it. If you want to control your own destiny on this, that's up to you but doctors in most countries require the physical presence of the patient before writing a prescription.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... according to my sources the DR Government has ordered a supply for Public Health Ministry, in case it is needed, & this will be distributed free of charge, I was told, but it will not be on sale in farmacias for anyone who wants to get their own supply in.

So after all the politicians and their families get their free fix,
......... will there be any left for the general population?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in DR you can get few SIMILAR - not the same - antiviral shots. some farmacias may have them in store or be able to get them for you.
i believe they are all over 1000 pesos per pop.
in any case, i would not really panic. if not taken care of even a normal gripe can kill you. one just have to take care of own health and seek medical help instead of hoping that "it will go away".

faer

Jan 6, 2005
it's strange, these girls spent 7 days in DR and arrived here (I live in Chile)already "infected" so, my guess is that they got it in Panama, as they flew Copa, with it's technical stop at "the hubb of the americas".
so they got the virus on their way to DR, incubated it in the island and arrived here with all the simptoms
the critical thing is the panama hubb, as Copa puts all their flights together twice a day and mix passengers all along...so you get in contact with people comming from mexico, usa, costa rica, dr, chile, peru, argentina, etc...for me, the perfect place to spread the virus.
current status, 10 positive cases here...4 of which in direct relation to this COPA flight...the other 6 are from a school of which nobody knows how it got there...the funny thing, my bosses daughters assist that school...so he is being held in "quarantine" at his office right now, nobody want's to talk with him just through the phone...

Last edited: