Samana Trip Report

ctdahlquist

May 18, 2009
Having traveled to 25 countries, some in the Caribbean and Central America, I was anxious to sample the best of what the Dominican Republic has to offer. My 10 day visit was split between Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita and Jarabacoa.

The scenery and ambience of Playa Bonita and Playa Coson (15 minute ride from Las Terrenas) are stunning, so I was extremely happy that we chose to stay at the Hotel Atlantis in this neighborhood. If beautiful beaches, ocean breezes, and an independent, low-key atmosphere are what you are looking for, then you can find no better location, in my opinion.

Las Terrenas, on the other hand, was not quite as appealing from my perspective. While there are certainly more venues for nightlife, shopping, dining, etc. in LT, it also feels quite crowded, noisy, and sometimes chaotic. The beach itself is nice, but doesn't compare to the idylic setting of Playa Bonita. I did see numerous condo complexes both existing and under construction, so my impressions are apparently only one perspective.

One relatively minor problem encountered was the development of Montezuma's revenge by all members of our party within two days of arrival in the area. Did we become exposed at our hotel, en-route to Samana, or at a local restaurant? One can never tell, but it does add to the complexity of independent travel to a developing region. Add to that the condition of the roads around Samana, general strikes, poverty, litter, and inconsistent electrical power. All of these factors would make Samana a destination for off-the-beaten-path adventurers in search of sun and inexpensive accommodations. Those not prepared for these inconveniences might look for an all-inclusive option.

Playa Rincon/Las Galeras: Plan on a two-hour drive from Las Terrenas. The scenery is beautiful, but the condition of the roads are bad beyond the city of Samana. We also encountered boys and adults injecting drugs in the Rincon/Las Galeras area. While these individuals didn't appear to be immediately dangerous, we did take precautions by leaving the immediate vicinity. Along the route to Rincon, you will leave the developing world and enter the realm of the third world. If you haven't encountered this before, be prepared to have your eyes opened.

Los Hiestes National Park: If going on this excursion, ask for a seat in the back of the boat, and insist on wearing a life jacket. Those sitting in the front of the boat will encounter seemingly bone-crushing crashes into the waves. This trip, not without danger due to the lack of appreciation for safety standards, does provide an excellent overview of unique landscape, habitat, and indian history.

Advice for independent travelers to LT and Samana in general: Take along a good supply of Pepto Bismol which can be used as a preventive for travelers diarrhea. // Avoid fresh vegetables, fruits, salads, etc. // If renting a car, DO get the tire insurance plan, and be sure to inspect all tires daily. // If venturing off the main roads, rent a high-clearance, SUV type vehicle (more important than a 4-wheel drive). // Take advantage of any organized excursions that can be arranged by your hotel, as it will take the guess work and stress out of independent jaunts. // The local fish called Dorado is excellent and is essentially the same fish we call Mahi Mahi in the US.

I'll post another review shortly about Jarabacoa.;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Thanks for the nice report and some good advice. Samana, besides Punta Cana, is on my list of places to visit in the DR. Do you think you could post any pictures you particularly like from that trip?