Mosquitos and Standing Water

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A family friend wants to rent a really nice house here in Jarabacoa. The only problem is there is an area on the property behind it that has standing water after rains that doesn't drain. The kind of standing water that no doubt would be a breeding ground for mosquitos, especially during the rainy seasons.

Short of draining it, is there anything that can be done, maybe some insecticide that can be sprayed, that can eliminate/minimize that hazard?

I'd hate for them to move in and then be overwhelmed with mosquitos...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
How big

How big is the area, maybe a couple of gallons of CrisOil.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
A family friend wants to rent a really nice house here in Jarabacoa. The only problem is there is an area on the property behind it that has standing water after rains that doesn't drain. The kind of standing water that no doubt would be a breeding ground for mosquitos, especially during the rainy seasons.

Short of draining it, is there anything that can be done, maybe some insecticide that can be sprayed, that can eliminate/minimize that hazard?

I'd hate for them to move in and then be overwhelmed with mosquitos...

Im having the same problem myself, The owner of the building we rent is constructing a swimming pool out the back and he is taking his time which means after heavy rain the pool is full of stagnant water and we are all suffering terribly from mosquitos bites. I go through the biggest bottle of baygon in a week trying to kill them all and have put mosquito netting up to all the windows, but still we are getting bitten alot.

I did dumo a gallon bottle of cloro in the water but it soesnt seem to have made any difference. :ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
chlorine just give the moskis clean water to swim in. You all need to cut off their air supply. any oil will do that. and there are poisons, too...but oil might be the safest...

and least harmful to the environment...

Hb

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Be very careful out there with mosquitoes. A nephew of mine was just rushed to the hospital over the weekend and they found he had Dengue.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Crisoil

chlorine just give the moskis clean water to swim in. You all need to cut off their air supply. any oil will do that. and there are poisons, too...but oil might be the safest...

and least harmful to the environment...

Hb

Thats why I suggested CrisOil, instead of motor oil plus its cheaper.
Oil will depend on how much is needed.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
try
geraniums
minth
lemmon grass

Have seen a programme on NGC about protection against mosquitos in a Latin Amarican country

Greetings

Johan

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I saw the problem today. The home owner raised her lot behind the house probably 6" because of standing water she said. The standing water is on the lot behind hers owned by her (very poor) uncle. I can see it'll be an undrained marsh during all but dry season.

The area is prolly 25m x 15m, 375-400m in total. And then the adjacent areas will be mushy.

It's silly to ask, but is there a health department that should be concerned about such an area within a city. I have to believe this is a serious potential skeeter bredding ground. And his property abuts the wall of a neighborhood public school.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The light oils do it, as previously mentioned. Cuts off the larvae oxygen supply.

tsg

Mar 25, 2007
The guppies as suggested by Chola is a good idea. They will die of course in the dry season, but if you keep guppies in a fish tank, you will always have plenty of supplies. Try to get some native guppies so that you don't risk to introduce more animals that don't belong in the DR.

If this does not work the oil will.