Real question: Should I be that paranoid about smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunGringo

May 20, 2009
So I have searched and read the various posts of DR1 members concerning ganja smoke in the DR. Since I have only been to Sosua once (albeit a 4 week stay) I trust the judgement of some of these "experts" we have, but I am still skeptical about some of the opinions on here, no offense. I understand pretty clearly that if I walk up and down the street in Sosua coming up to people asking for weed that it would certainly be a problem. I question, however, the majority opinion that smoking is suicide in the DR. In fact, an Austrian guy who lived in Sosua for over a year wanted to do it on the street with me but I convinced him to at least stay in a courtyard. I mean theoretically, if I knew someone who could pick it up and bring it to me and I only did it in a hotel room, what could possibly go wrong? I mean the National Police aren't exactly big brother. I seemed to be offered smoke by many Haitians at markets, I mean aren't most of these individuals illegally in the DR? I doubt turning me into the authorities would be on their "to do" list given their controversial presence in Sosua. Additionally, during my stay in Sosua (December 2006) I mostly saw the Tourist Police, who often tried to "sell" the company of chicas to me, they didn't seem bent on ruining the good time of a gringo vistor.

If I am wrong about all of this, experts, please let me know. But based upon my (limited) experiences, the death sentence issued by many on this board about ganja may be a little harsh (if the conditions are right).

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The grim warnings against using illegal drugs as a tourist in the DR aren't based on the odds of getting cought CG. They are based on the consequences.

Go ahead............... you might get a way with it.

But if you don't...................

Reactions: Chirimoya

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
hmm are your sure it was sosua that you were in ! we dont have any markets where Haitians hang about offering drugs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
sweetdbt's post sums it all up really.

Posting about illegal activities is against DR1 rules, so I'll have to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.