Old Timer's Alert

Jan 3, 2003
How are the Old Timers of DR1? Anything new? Who has come and who has gone? What has become of GOLO, Hillbilly, Joselito, The Russian-Dominican Lady, those characters from Puerto Plata and others?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm still here, as is Hillbilly. Golo still posts every blue moon, not sure who the Russian Dominican lady is and Joselito still watches over us in spirit I'm sure ;)

Where do you keep disappearing to ?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Russian-Dominican lady is mariaobetsanov - still posts once in a while, rants of gloom and doom in Santiago.

Jan 3, 2003
I'm still here, as is Hillbilly. Golo still posts every blue moon, not sure who the Russian Dominican lady is and Joselito still watches over us in spirit I'm sure ;)

Where do you keep disappearing to ?
Around the WORLD. Does Golo still post nonsensical doomsday predictions concerning the DR? I'm still waiting for the peso to reach 100 per Golo, LOL!

Jan 3, 2003
The Russian-Dominican lady is mariaobetsanov - still posts once in a while, rants of gloom and doom in Santiago.

Yes, that's her name. I would call her Maria All-Bets-Are-Off, LOL. She's the NON-looking Dominican Dominican. LOL, so she's Golo's compadre-doom and gloom.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Another 'OLD TIMER' checking in O/C

For some strange (& unaccountable) reason there appears to be a bit of discrimination on another forum about us 'Old 'Uns' who go back aways :cheeky:. As I am still living & as Chiri was kind enough to post with information on that other thread, I have decided to advise you in this 'LIVING' forum O/C that I am still around too! I think 11 years chatting on this board qualifies me as "An Old Timer on DR1!! ;)

I am delighted to hear that you continue your globe trotting pursuits - your tales on other countries & how they equate with the DR would be most welcome here I am sure. Hopefully the moderator on this forum will not see us 'Old Timers' chatting together about friends who no longer post here but still LIVE, as a threat & will allow us to continue our reminiscing - this might even show the old style posting etiquette we used to enjoy!(you controversial old Sausage you :pirate: :cheeky: :surprised :bunny:) ~ Grahame

A

apostropheman

Grahame,
what are the necessary qualifications for being an "old timer" here, more than 5 years on the board? ;););)

Last edited by a moderator:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Grahame,

What are the necessary qualifications for being an "old timer" here, more than 5 years on the board? ;););)
:bunny:

If you can remember having a slanging match with Onions & Carrots, :eek:gre: TW, :tired: Toilet Washer :pirate:, Tourist Watcher :chinese:, Tom D' :eek:gre:, Tom Churchill:ermm:, Golo .......... (& Uncle Tom Cobley & all) I think you can safely assume you are an Old Timer! Also if you have watched anxiously for 7 seasons of hurricanes coming through & commented on here as to three DANGEROUS hurricanes to the DR you should count as an 'Old Timer'.

Alternatively you might be in a position where you can claim to have had 4 run-ins with 'The Management' on various matters (especially censorship :cheeky: or running off to a [temporary] competitor for a while :eek: ) & still be in a position to say "I have never been banned"! :surprised ! ....... YET!! ~ Grahame

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I first started posting in late 1997 and a couple of long time posters - Delores (Washington DC) and Natasha were two really helpful posters. I really enjoyed GOLOs postings. There was a crazy Swede in Jarabacoa that actually delivered a dozen roses for me in 1998 and was very helpful to me after Hurricane Georges. There were some interesting characters, and some nasty ones too. O/C certainly had a different perspective on things.

Mar 2, 2008
I am not an "old timer", in terms of DR1, but I do appreciate reading the posts of "old timers". Usually, they are the most informed, and while they are generally short-tempered and "stuck in their ways", they are also the most interesting to read.

I do not believe the contradictions between "old timers" and those new to the board as a negative thing at all, nor are they insurmountable. I think the two balance one another, and provide a more complete and comprehensive dialog.

Just remember, hopefully, the "new kids" will be around long enough to become the 'new' "old timers". While a little patience and understanding, both "factions" can get along very nicely, without the over-the-top interference of closing or deleting threads.

To go one step further, I suspect there are actually very few instances when threads should be closed. The best inclinations of "the people" will generally rise to the surface in any discussion, while the superficial and distracting rhetoric will eventually be exposed for what it is, given time.

And one more side note, just to push the issue and test the moderator's patience, I have noticed that the mods who proclaim themselves to be the most "conservative", and who presumably believe in the principle of free speech, are the mods who are the quickest to delete posts and to close threads.

I'm just saying.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
congratulations on becoming an old timer Bushbaby old man, I keep myself young by regular profile deletions

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks for 'putting things back together' AnnaC - makes a far more interesting & coordinated thread! ;)

I am up for my UK Retirement payments in October & this has reminded me of 'Long Service' here on DR1. At what 'period of service' to DR1 readership do we get allocated our 'Pension Payments' from Robert? :surprised

JR, ..... I don't need to change my name to be continuously young - look who I live with & you will know I am not ALLOWED to get above 42 years of age as I must stay within a maximum of 4 years older than 'She Who Must Be Obeyed!! :ermm: :tired: ~ Grahame

Jan 3, 2003
For some strange (& unaccountable) reason there appears to be a bit of discrimination on another forum about us 'Old 'Uns' who go back aways :cheeky:. As I am still living & as Chiri was kind enough to post with information on that other thread, I have decided to advise you in this 'LIVING' forum O/C that I am still around too! I think 11 years chatting on this board qualifies me as "An Old Timer on DR1!! ;)

I am delighted to hear that you continue your globe trotting pursuits - your tales on other countries & how they equate with the DR would be most welcome here I am sure. Hopefully the moderator on this forum will not see us 'Old Timers' chatting together about friends who no longer post here but still LIVE, as a threat & will allow us to continue our reminiscing - this might even show the old style posting etiquette we used to enjoy!(you controversial old Sausage you :pirate: :cheeky: :surprised :bunny:) ~ Grahame

AH, BushBaby, so how's PP? I heard crime is down in many parts of the island. Is that the case in your part of the woods? I remember the old set-up on DR1. I might bash the DR on the political-economic front but criticism is part and parcel of improvement, well more like a precursor. DR will always be home.

Whatever became of that heavy set ex-pat who would brag about getting Dominican girls for 400 pesos. I believe he worked in a clinic and was married. Do you recall his name? At the end of his posts, he would place a series of same letters in caps, I think. I don't know why I can't remember his name.

A

apostropheman

http://www.dr1.com/forums/532286-post2.html ;):cheeky::bunny::bunny:
AH, BushBaby, so how's PP? I heard crime is down in many parts of the island. Is that the case in your part of the woods? I remember the old set-up on DR1. I might bash the DR on the political-economic front but criticism is part and parcel of improvement, well more like a precursor. DR will always be home.

Whatever became of that heavy set ex-pat who would brag about getting Dominican girls for 400 pesos. I believe he worked in a clinic and was married. Do you recall his name? At the end of his posts, he would place a series of same letters in caps, I think. I don't know why I can't remember his name.
I just did a search for "CCCCCCCCCC" and look who I found.

I bet if you read some of his past posts....:D

And AnnaC happened to mention him very recently in this very thread!
Cris Colon is still posting but we've beat him into a teddy bear.:cheeky: love you CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I beleive Chris ( Christa) has been traveling lately.