toys

sarita

May 5, 2005
hi guys my son has spent a lot of time in hospital recently and i saw that they do not have toys for the kids who are admitted to hospital.
i'm collecting donations of toys(all kinds) colors, books, games, pencils etc and also storage boxes of all sizes especially large ones but all sizes are needed. i'm not asking for cash but if you don't have anything but would like to donate something then cash is welcome to and i will buy things that are needed or you can go and buy it whichever is easier.
when ive got enough toys i'm going to distribute them to the hospitals so that the children who are admitted into hospital have something to make them feel better. i hope that you are able to help me with this.

if u are able and would like to donate something please send a PM.

thanks
xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
sarita - sorry to hear your son has been in hospital and hope he is OK now. I removed the e-mail address and telephone number from your post, it is not advisable to post personal info and contact details on the forum, so please use the PM function for people to contact you with their offers. Good luck!

sarita

May 5, 2005
just bumping this thread so it doesn't get lost. reaaly would like to give toys etc to the hospitals/clinics but can't do it without donations xxx

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Is the hospital where your son was admitted a dedicated paediatric facility...or they just have a childrens ward? I am working on an idea.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We have a sackful of soft toys to give away but hospitals don't usually accept these because of respiratory issues.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We have a sackful of soft toys to give away but hospitals don't usually accept these because of respiratory issues.

That is a shame.

I am wondering if the standards in the DR are better than those here as I work in a paediatric facility where soft toys are frequently distributed...hhmmm;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, I only base that on experience with my father's paediatric ward back home - we received an oversized soft toy for my son when he was born and there was no way I was travelling back to the DR with that thing in tow (we would probably have had to buy it a ticket it was so damn huge) so I asked my Dad if the hospital would accept it and he explained that they preferred not to take soft toys because of the dust mites/asthmatic issue.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
No, I only base that on experience with my father's paediatric ward back home - we received an oversized soft toy for my son when he was born and there was no way I was travelling back to the DR with that thing in tow (we would probably have had to buy it a ticket it was so damn huge) so I asked my Dad if the hospital would accept it and he explained that they preferred not to take soft toys because of the dust mites/asthmatic issue.

Good to hear that there are still some prudent people working in healthcare;). It does make perfect sense though all things considered.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'm surprised soft toys are distributed in Canadian hospitals drloca with all the concern about MRSA etc. If it was a personal toy not to share, a brand new gift teddy bear etc. I could see that being permitted but yes dust mites, bacteria, moulds, mildew, viruses etc. on soft toys, that's well documented. Here's a study on toys in hospitals: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489955_6

By the way, all the daycares here in Ontario are required to wash the toys once a week and I used to wash all my daughters toys from time to time. That was more than twenty years ago.

I don't want to advocate a double standard, one standard of patient care in a first world country and another standard in a developing country, but sometimes I think a second-hand teddy bear would do a lot for the healing process by lifting the spirit... but I guess it's better to be prudent and buy hard toys that can be washed and disinfected....No wait, I can't decide. But there better be soap in the soap dispensers. Hand cleansers?

To the OP, what kind of hospital were you visiting? Private or public? When it comes to public health, it's better to be prudent.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I'm surprised soft toys are distributed in Canadian hospitals drloca with all the concern about MRSA etc. If it was a personal toy not to share, a brand new gift teddy bear etc. I could see that being permitted but yes dust mites, bacteria, moulds, mildew, viruses etc. on soft toys, that's well documented. Here's a study on toys in hospitals: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/489955_6

By the way, all the daycares here in Ontario are required to wash the toys once a week and I used to wash all my daughters toys from time to time. That was more than twenty years ago.

I don't want to advocate a double standard, one standard of patient care in a first world country and another standard in a developing country, but sometimes I think a second-hand teddy bear would do a lot for the healing process by lifting the spirit... but I guess it's better to be prudent and buy hard toys that can be washed and disinfected....No wait, I can't decide. But there better be soap in the soap dispensers. Hand cleansers?

To the OP, what kind of hospital were you visiting? Private or public? When it comes to public health, it's better to be prudent.

Well Margaret...having worked in Canadian hospitals for almost 10 years, lets put it this way that I am surprised on an almost daily basis.;)

Maybe I am confused but I was talking about the distribution of unused toys here in Canada. Really, I think people in the general population are equally at risk of catching MRSA via other routes.

Anyway, hope the OP checks back soon so I can hopefully put the wheels in motion.

sarita

May 5, 2005
hi, it was a private hospital he was admitted to but i want to distribute to all hospitals/clinics in the area if possible. they don't have a children's ward as such. they have a room with a few beds in that they use only for kids but mainly its private rooms. i thought about seeing if it would be possible to make a play room or something but i thought i'd start off small and see what happens. i want to aim for about 5 boxes of toys per hospital and then build on it. I've been taking a box with me when he's admitted but not all kids can do this and i'd really like to help. even colouring books and crayons would be better than nothing at all.if anyone can help me with this i'd be really grateful. hope i answered all your questions. thanks again xxx