Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chopos and other Dominicanisms

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chopos and other Dominicanisms

I have been pushing for us adults in this forum to stop usign the terms chopos, domyorks and many other terms that are offensive to some of us.. can the mod help with this also..or am i in the minority that thinks this way..
    Ps great job so far.. please help me out if possible.
    Heck even if intended as and adive.. for those that are new ..the term chopos should nto be introduce as they might belive its oeky to call someone a chopo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chola1978 View Post
    I have been pushing for us adults in this forum to stop usign the terms chopos, domyorks and many other terms that are offensive to some of us.. can the mod help with this also..or am i in the minority that thinks this way..
    Ps great job so far.. please help me out if possible.
    Heck even if intended as and adive.. for those that are new ..the term chopos should nto be introduce as they might belive its oeky to call someone a chopo.
    You are not the only one. I agree with you. I am Dominican and I grew up believing that calling someone a chopo is a bad thing. Some people think they get Dominican culture so well and then there are things like this that they don't get.

Post Thanks / Like

When the chopa/chopo word first started to appear on the board, one gringa member started referring to her maid as 'my chopa' and had to be informed by a Dominican member that this was very offensive.

'Chopo' is different: correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard it off the board to mean a very tacky person of either gender.

I absolutely agree that foreigners in any country need to be very careful when using local slang and swear words because they rarely get the subtleties and can easily end up putting their foot in it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Its one of my pet peeves.....europeans and americans dropping in the occassional spanish word when posting- novia/novio is particularly annoying to me, why just drop in one word when one is posting in English

Post Thanks / Like

A recent example was a poster who was talking about 'culos', when in the DR it means something a little more specific
    'Nalgas' is the correct word.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Its one of my pet peeves.....europeans and americans dropping in the occassional spanish word when posting- novia/novio is particularly annoying to me, why just drop in one word when one is posting in English"
    jrhartley

jr, come on now, while the "one-word" interjection of Spanish might be irritating, and perhaps even unnecessary at times, there are occasions when no other word fits the bill as a descriptor. While novio/novia might not meet that criteria, those words have a much different connotation than girlfriend/boyfriend, don't you think?

By the way, something even more annoying than the interjection of a Spanish word from time to time is being snubbed at Rocky's, wouldn't you agree?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lo siento lol , now I annoyed myself, ive met people before and they usually seem underwhelmed lol

Post Thanks / Like

Moved this to a new thread in Spanish 101 as it deals with use of language.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

"Chopo" in the DR = white trash or neger in the US.

JJ

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    "Chopo" in the DR = white trash or neger in the US.

JJ
    Nope...Perfect example of why people shouldn't try to use slang words from a different language without truly knowing the connotations / implications of such words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast