Maps of detected drug trafficking routes

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wonder if those "imports" are part of the "internal economy"...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't know about the accuracy of that map. It looks as if there were no flights out of Colombia (which I don't believe for one second).

The one thing I don't understand is The US opposition to The DR's interdiction of these flights. I suspect the US has some vested interest on these flights continuing to drop drugs all over Dominican Republic, even if it's just to avoid having them do it in some other territory.

Personally I think if the US is not going to help and instead is going to hinder The DR in its fight against drug trafficking The Dominican government should just made an agreement with the cartels and large traffickers and say "Look we'll let you use the country as a route to The US - Just like it is now - and we'll not put a lot of pressure on you as long as you make sure you don't leave any of that drug in Dominican territory"...then DCND should go big time against micro-trafficking. Enact very tough laws against the sale of these small portions distributed on every corner to drive these guys out of business.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I don't know about the accuracy of that map. It looks as if there were no flights out of Colombia (which I don't believe for one second).

The map was shown as an argument that Venezuela is now a key vector for cocaine trafficking between Colombia and Europe. Hence the map showing only Venezuela.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Remember?

a29_super_tucano.jpg

But isn't there a super-sweet oil deal between Chavez and the DR? I often wondered what was in it for Venevela...

It all gets so confusing at times...:paranoid:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Attached are a couple of older maps and a note sent to me by Lambada.

By comparison with the link you posted for 2007, you can see how activity has moved from flights to Haiti (quite a few 2006, far fewer 2007) to DR. When you compare to 2003, it's dramatic. In 2003 all flights were to Haiti, hardly any to DR.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Puulleez

What the US said is that they were opposed to "shooting down" of aircraft by DR authorities. The US constantly does cooperative interdiction ops in the DR.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

What I see is that most of the flights originate in the Venezuelan-Colombian border, mostly from the Colombia side. I showed this graphic to my mother and she was horrified.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
What the US said is that they were opposed to "shooting down" of aircraft by DR authorities.

Right...and the question is why? How else are you going to stop them of there's no threat of getting shot down?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Personally I think if the US is not going to help and instead is going to hinder The DR in its fight against drug trafficking The Dominican government should just made an agreement with the cartels and large traffickers and say "Look we'll let you use the country as a route to The US - Just like it is now - and we'll not put a lot of pressure on you as long as you make sure you don't leave any of that drug in Dominican territory"...

This presupposes that DR Government, or members of it, are not beneficiaries of the trade going on inside the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOW you can explain the 200+ hi-rises in Santo Domingo and the huge money laundering operations that go on all the time...There is so much that the "internal" economy is "armored" against outside events....so they say...

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This presupposes that DR Government, or members of it, are not beneficiaries of the trade going on inside the DR.
Transshipments are just half the issue.

Money laundering is the other. That doesn't require clandestine flights from Venezuela. Just creativity. And Lord knows how much creativity exists in this country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NOW you can explain the 200+ hi-rises in Santo Domingo and the huge money laundering operations that go on all the time...There is so much that the "internal" economy is "armored" against outside events....so they say...

HB
Well over 90% of the high rises in SD were built between 1998 and 2008, yet the maps shows an increase from 2006 to 2007. It doesn't explains much and also hides the decrease that has been registered since then. I do wonder why Haiti hasn't had such a boom, considering where much of the activity was concentrated for so many years.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Transshipments are just half the issue.

Money laundering is the other. That doesn't require clandestine flights from Venezuela. Just creativity. And Lord knows how much creativity exists in this country.
Well, as far back as 2005 the DR was on the primary concern list when it comes to money laundering, along with countries like the UK, US, Netherlands, France, to name a few.

Considering where Dominican deportees are arriving from, it should not be hard guessing where the laundering tactics are learned.

Major Money Laundering Countries

Hmm... now that I think of it, perhaps this is what's behind the recent upswing in the US economy, considering how important this market is in the drug trade.

Me playing the DR1 conspiracy games... ha ha
-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Remember?

a29_super_tucano.jpg

But isn't there a super-sweet oil deal between Chavez and the DR? I often wondered what was in it for Venevela...

It all gets so confusing at times...:paranoid:
It gets confusing because what you are claiming has nothing to do with what Robert showed, given that the maps precede the Super Tucano purchase. Remember that during Bush the U.S. decreased anti-drugs funding in the Caribbean region to favor the Central American isthmus and only recently it has redirected its attention to the Caribbean, with the subsequent decrease in drug trafficking. The Super Tucanos is all part of the greater vigilance being given to the area, a vigilance that was much more relaxed in 2006/2007.

-NALs

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Well over 90% of the high rises in SD were built between 1998 and 2008, yet the maps shows an increase from 2006 to 2007. It doesn't explains much and also hides the decrease that has been registered since then.

I think you will be surprised how many have been touched in some way by the various drug cartels and those heavily involved in the drugs trade.

Doesn't the USA Embassy have someone making sure it's people are in clean buildings? Nothing worse than knowing your paying rent in a building part funded by the Cali cartel, that scenario would be a journalists dream :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So what explains the relative lull in construction? Does the cartels not have large sums of money to continue legitimizing anymore? I highly doubt it. By all conspiratorial DR1 thesis/theories, Port-au-Prince should have a gleaming skyline by now and yet, it doesn't. It should have very good domestic economic activity and yet, it doesn't. Why is this the case given that country's money laundering status as well?

What I don't doubt is the appeal this would be for journalists, particularly freelance journalists who depend on their articles for their livelihood. Nothing will make more money for a journalist than good old sensationalism.

-NALs

Last edited: