Kia dealer

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Does anyone know of a Kia dealer, preferably in Santiago or noth (we live in Sosua). But any Kia dealer will do.

Thanks - D

Jan 9, 2004
There is a Kia dealer in..

Santo Domingo and also one in Higuey. The one in Higuey is paired with Viamar Ford. Sorry, I don't recall the exact location in S.D.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Does anyone know of a Kia dealer, preferably in Santiago or noth (we live in Sosua). But any Kia dealer will do.

Thanks - D

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I thought there is a KIA dealer in Santiago on the hwy. Duarte. When you pass the HOMS going towards the Monument it's on the left. I have seen their sign.
I'm not sure if they are a dealer or just a repair facility. I can check it out.
Are you planning to buy or just repair?

The Hun

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Authorized Kia dealers in Santiago; “Nevesa” located at Autopista Duarte entrada del Embrujo- 2 and “Macarlise Motors” in Bella Vista, in the right hand side when you cross the Hermanos patinos bridge.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks for the info. We're thinking of buying either a Kia Sportage or a Hyundai Tuscon. They are almost identical.

Interestingly, in the US the Kia is cheaper than the Hyundai, and in the DR the Hyundai is cheaper. Also, the DR versions seem to have fewer airbags than in thr US. The Kia has 2 (front), and the Hyundai has 4 (front and first row side). We just lived through an horriffic accident, and the airbags are now very important to us.

-D

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Authorized Kia dealers in Santiago; ?Nevesa? located at Autopista Duarte entrada del Embrujo- 2 and ?Macarlise Motors? in Bella Vista, in the right hand side when you cross the Hermanos patinos bridge.

Yep, the Nevesa is the one that I have seen.
The Hun

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Kia as well as Hyundai have made themselves a reputation for their 5 and 6 year 100K miles warranties in the US and EU... at a reasonable price.
Now, when you approach a Kia or Hyunday "dealer" in this country... keep in mind that they may not really be "official" dealers as far as Kia or Hyunday is concerned. What ever warranty you will (have to) negotiate with that dealer will most likely be a "dealer" warranty only. So, don't walz in there assuming! negotiate and make sure you have the warranty with all details IN WRITING signed by the commercial direction of the "dealership"!

This applies to most other "dealers" here.

... J-D.

Jan 9, 2004
Good Point!

International warranties are usually not as long nor as all encompassing as their American/European counterparts. And, as you rightly point out, the Dealer can make all the difference in the world.

As to the choice between Hyundai or Kia, if you are considering the SUV lineup, then the edge goes to Hyundai. Hyundai bought the Kia brand several years ago, and while they have made great strides improving the Kia lineup, it still comes in second best for quality, reliability, fit and finish. Of course the Japanese lineup, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc., are above both, but Danny W's question is confined to these two brands.

Finally, as Danny has pointed out, some countries, DR included, do not require airbags, although you will find them on most models, so it is best to do a detailed analysis of the features before purchasing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

QUOTE=J D Sauser;757529]Kia as well as Hyundai have made themselves a reputation for their 5 and 6 year 100K miles warranties in the US and EU... at a reasonable price.
Now, when you approach a Kia or Hyunday "dealer" in this country... keep in mind that they may not really be "official" dealers as far as Kia or Hyunday is concerned. What ever warranty you will (have to) negotiate with that dealer will most likely be a "dealer" warranty only. So, don't walz in there assuming! negotiate and make sure you have the warranty with all details IN WRITING signed by the commercial direction of the "dealership"!

This applies to most other "dealers" here.

... J-D.[/QUOTE]

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
On a recent visit to Magna Motors we learned that they now offer a 3 year power train warranty in the DR. This is a great step from the one year version we got on our Hyundai Santa Fe 6 years ago. Prices for the new vehicles I saw were about $10K to $12K more than a comparable vehicle in the US, so they are no longer the bargain they were when I purchased mine, but I believe that is the same issue with any vehicle purchased here now. I believe that in order to keep such a warranty in force, you will have to visit the dealer in order to have all your oil changes and scheduled maintenance done. Please check on that before you buy.

Keep in mind that if you need parts for your Hyundai (or Kia) Jeepeta they will be very hard to find. The dealers keep a very limited number of parts on hand and will not order them for you. I think Hyundai is a good option in the US, but much less so here in the DR. I could write a chapter in my "book of life in the DR" just on this topic.

Do you think the parts situation might have improved? There seem to be quite a few Hyundai's here now. The Tuscon is very reasonable proced and in the States you get the feeling that the Hyundai is gaining equal statue with Toyota.

We had a new Rav4 that was totaled, and we are trying to buy with insurance money only.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
On a recent visit to Magna Motors we learned that they now offer a 3 year power train warranty in the DR. This is a great step from the one year version we got on our Hyundai Santa Fe 6 years ago. Prices for the new vehicles I saw were about $10K to $12K more than a comparable vehicle in the US, so they are no longer the bargain they were when I purchased mine, but I believe that is the same issue with any vehicle purchased here now. I believe that in order to keep such a warranty in force, you will have to visit the dealer in order to have all your oil changes and scheduled maintenance done. Please check on that before you buy.

Keep in mind that if you need parts for your Hyundai (or Kia) Jeepeta they will be very hard to find. The dealers keep a very limited number of parts on hand and will not order them for you. I think Hyundai is a good option in the US, but much less so here in the DR. I could write a chapter in my "book of life in the DR" just on this topic.

Could you share with us which part did they have trouble to get?
Did you ever had any delay to repair something on your car because the parts where not available?
How about common service parts, like brake discs, pads, spark plugs, filters, belts. Are they also hard to find them here?
Thanks!

The Hun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
We had a new Rav4 that was totaled, and we are trying to buy with insurance money only.

Why don't you buy a new Rav4 again? Toyotas are pretty dependable cars. Would you tell us what's the reason for the change?
Thanks!

The Hun

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Why don't you buy a new Rav4 again? Toyotas are pretty dependable cars. Would you tell us what's the reason for the change?
Thanks!

The Hun

The Rav4 is a great car. Our reasons for not buying another are mostly emotional. The accident was horrible - a life was lost.

faer

Jan 6, 2005
Danny, sorry, but if you know how the RAV4 behaved on this terrible accident, and you feel it is a safe car, eventhough a life was lost, wouldn't you feel safer on this car than on anything else you don't know?
Kia and Hyudais are pretty much the same, the alternate platforms when developing new models. For instance, the new Sportage is setting the new one for the next Santa Fe, and the Veracruz was the base for the Mohave. The new Cerato will be the Accent chassis in the near future...and so on. Brakes, airbags, traction control, etc are the same.
In summary, you can't go wrong with either one, Sportage or Tucson, just decide on looks. But my recommendation, stick to what you know, a terrible experience, but you know the product.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
The Rav4 is a great car. Our reasons for not buying another are mostly emotional. The accident was horrible - a life was lost.[/QUOTE

I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope - regardless your decision- you won't have any more accidents, even a minor one.

The Hun

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Hyundai Terracan ! ! ! ! Yes!!

I bought a 2002 diesel 4 cylinder Hyundai Terracan; I owned it for 6 years. 1 of the finest cars I've ever owned. Period. I never should have sold it; a story for another day. Well made; VG fuel economy; all of the bangs & whistles. I don't think that you can go wrong with Hyundai. Good hunting.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Danny, sorry, but if you know how the RAV4 behaved on this terrible accident, and you feel it is a safe car, eventhough a life was lost, wouldn't you feel safer on this car than on anything else you don't know?
Kia and Hyudais are pretty much the same, the alternate platforms when developing new models. For instance, the new Sportage is setting the new one for the next Santa Fe, and the Veracruz was the base for the Mohave. The new Cerato will be the Accent chassis in the near future...and so on. Brakes, airbags, traction control, etc are the same.
In summary, you can't go wrong with either one, Sportage or Tucson, just decide on looks. But my recommendation, stick to what you know, a terrible experience, but you know the product.

According to the dealers, the Tuscon has 4 airbage and the Sportage has 2 - in the DR, not in the States. Re: the Rav4 - this will be her car and her decision - she was in the accident , not me, and i'll never know how deeply she has been affected.

americanized

Nov 17, 2004
What's the other story?

I bought a 2002 diesel 4 cylinder Hyundai Terracan; I owned it for 6 years. 1 of the finest cars I've ever owned. Period. I never should have sold it; a story for another day. Well made; VG fuel economy; all of the bangs & whistles. I don't think that you can go wrong with Hyundai. Good hunting.

I'm considering a 2006 Terracan, but I'm hesitant about part availability, service, etc. What was your expericnce in such regard?
Thanks for the advice.

RO

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Kia Sportage Diesel

I purchased a Sportage Diesel in Santiago a few years ago. Here you do NOT get the 100000 mile warranty, you get a 30000 kilometer !!!!!!!!!!
Its a joke. I still have the SUV and do service myself with parts I bring from the USA. The diesel is a good choice here as it is not computerized. Do not buy a used anything from the USA as most cars imported used are junk (wrecked, flood, scrap, salvage, or very high mile cars with the odometer turned back a lot ! )... also true of used cars imported from Japan....junk
carib