In case of emergency...

miozio

May 23, 2009
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but i have been reading a lot of useful advices on living in DR but still couldn't find anything regarding emergency service in the country. We were planing on moving to Sosua with my wife and a baby daughter, its a huge responsibility for us as the parents and we wanted to know how good is the local "911 service", just out of curiosity What if anything happens and someone needs to call an ambulance for example? How quick and professional are they in Dominicana and Sosua in particular if anyone knows.

What about fire brigade and rescue in general? Can a foreign family fluent in English survive in Sosua and be helped if necessary?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1 :). Whilst certain services do exist, most expats aim for self-sufficiency and self-reliance because that way, they don't let themselves down! For example, if you need to get to the hospital in an emergency you would use your own car, that of a friend, or a passing taxi or you would make sure you have the number of a private ambulance service. Dominicans are very helpful people as individuals, but service provision by city/district councils etc is somewhat hit-and-miss.

Read through these forums, you could well find it a bit of an eye-opener :cheeky:. Good luck!

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank You Lambada for your answer. I was also wondering if the emergency rooms have all the necessary modern equipment and adequate personnel, i would better ask about the one in Sosua.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Clinics vs. Hospitals

wondering if the emergency rooms have all the necessary modern equipment and adequate personnel, i would better ask about the one in Sosua.

Although the DR is a developping country there a very good clinics in Santiago and the capital. Private clinics that is, whereas the public hospitals leave much to be desired.
I am sure you'll get some recommendations for Sos?a doctors by PM.

This guy's family didn't agree to pay for an autopsy... well, concho again...:tired:

2i1f6g9.jpg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thank You Lambada for your answer. I was also wondering if the emergency rooms have all the necessary modern equipment and adequate personnel, i would better ask about the one in Sosua.

Let's get you started on self-reliance from the get-go :cheeky:. Use the search function to read threads about medical recommendations, surgery etc. I think you'll find that most recommendations are for Santiago and SD as donP said. But read it all to get a feel for it.

Which emergency room in Sosua were you referring to, btw? The Clinic?

Doctors in DR have plenty of experience with babies since there are quite a few here!

miozio

May 23, 2009
Although the DR is a developping country there a very good clinics in Santiago and the capital. Private clinics that is, whereas the public hospitals leave much to be desired.
I am sure you'll get some recommendations for Sos?a doctors by PM.

This guy's family didn't agree to pay for an autopsy... well, concho again...:tired:

2i1f6g9.jpg

Oh, thank God, i almost got worried for a moment :) Dear members, i would appreciate your pms on doctors and private clinics in Sosua. We would like to find a good family pediatritian as soon as we arrive. Thank you so much.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Let's get you started on self-reliance from the get-go :cheeky:. Use the search function to read threads about medical recommendations, surgery etc. I think you'll find that most recommendations are for Santiago and SD as donP said. But read it all to get a feel for it.

Which emergency room in Sosua were you referring to, btw? The Clinic?

Doctors in DR have plenty of experience with babies since there are quite a few here!

OK, i will look for more threads on this topic :) We are very friendly people btw, we will make many friends as soon as we come (including doctors and police..LOL), so i guess its nothing to worry about.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Lambada's advice on self reliance is good advice. You will also have a circle of "friends" that you can rely on however take time to develop this circle as not to have a "bad apple" in the bunch.
There in fact is a new "state of the art" hospital opening in Sosua June 1st (that is the current plan for opening). It is very well equiped and willl have 24 hour ER service staffed by a physician. There also will be multiple offices on site as well, though not sure about peds. Many of the doctors speak at least some english and some have even done some training in the US. There will also be some expat doctors on staff as well. It is a HUGE step forward for health care here on the north coast. In Santiago and Santo Domingo you will also have very modern and quality services available. There is also medical insurance available for you here.

There are some private ambulance services and carry thier number with you. The new hopsital is also expected to take delivery of a new ambulance as well.

Welcome to the DR and the DR1 forums. What you can't find on the search button just ask. Feel free to PM me with any other medical questions.

Bob K

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There in fact is a new "state of the art" hospital opening in Sosua June 1st (that is the current plan for opening). Bob K

There's a date for it! :) That's great news, hadn't seen that advertised anywhere, although I knew it was coming of course. Thanks, BobK, that's splendid, should make all the difference.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thank You Bob! The new "state of the art" Hospital! Its great to hear good news! We are coming in August, so you made us feel safe to settle in Sosua.
I guess i will have plenty of more questions on other topics about Dominicana. I would like to thank you guys for quick answers, its an awsome forum, i am so glad to have found it. Now i know its going to be my interactive source for years. I will share my knowlege with you guys as soon as i get it :)
Dimitri

Lambada's advice on self reliance is good advice. You will also have a circle of "friends" that you can rely on however take time to develop this circle as not to have a "bad apple" in the bunch.
There in fact is a new "state of the art" hospital opening in Sosua June 1st (that is the current plan for opening). It is very well equiped and willl have 24 hour ER service staffed by a physician. There also will be multiple offices on site as well, though not sure about peds. Many of the doctors speak at least some english and some have even done some training in the US. There will also be some expat doctors on staff as well. It is a HUGE step forward for health care here on the north coast. In Santiago and Santo Domingo you will also have very modern and quality services available. There is also medical insurance available for you here.

There are some private ambulance services and carry thier number with you. The new hopsital is also expected to take delivery of a new ambulance as well.

Welcome to the DR and the DR1 forums. What you can't find on the search button just ask. Feel free to PM me with any other medical questions.

Bob K

tbd88

Apr 14, 2009
Hello everyone, this is my first post that I can offer any real experiance to. While staying at Casa Marina a couple of visits ago, my brother had a mild heart attack(he is fine now) We were worried about hospital conditions and treatment capabilities, I/we were surprised at the fantastic care he recieved. After forgetting all the spanish I knew we were lucky enough that a staff member could translate what we needed, we took a taxi to the hospital in POP, within minutes of arrival he had an IV, blood was drawn, and hooked up to all the equipment that was needed, a heart surgeon was at the hospital in about 30 mins. He was in for 3 days, and released, had to go back for a letter from the dr. saying he was fit to fly home, I think the day before we left. All the posts regarding having some sort of plan, phone numbers, phrases to use to get your needs across will be invaluble. On the next visits, there was never second thoughts about the care that can be offered, make sure you have travel insurance, I don't travel anywhere without it. I am not sure about hospitals anywhere else but POP treated us very well. Hopefully this helps ease anyones concerns as to the care that is available. Thanks to everyone on DR1 for the help and information you have given me over the years

Jeff