Mammogram in the DR ???

vancer74

May 20, 2008
Hello,

Can anyone please recommend a good doctor or clinic/hospital that can perform a mammogram?

Location does not matter, but we are hoping to find a compasionate doctor, preferrably female. Some English would also be helpful as our Spanish is very limited.

Also, does anyone have experience with mammograms on a patient who has had breast augmentation?

Thanks in advance for any information.

vancer74

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have a friend who uses a facility in Santiago and she says it is well worth the drive from Puerto Plata. I assume that the English spoken there is acceptable since her Spanish is somewhat broken.

I can email her and get the info.

PS she hasnt had augmentation done so cant comment on that aspect

vancer74

May 20, 2008
drloca,

Thanks for the quick response. I certainly would appreciate the contact details of the doctor or clinic your friend uses......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Santo Domingo I always went to the large centre on Calle Lea de Castro in Gazcue.

vancer74

May 20, 2008
Thanks Chirimoya...

Do you happen to know the name or contact info for the center. We live in Cabrera and wherever we end up going, I would like to try and pre-book and appointment.

I have searched and searched on google but can not come up with anything.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I couldn't remember the name of the centre but have now checked my files and here is all the info:
Diagnostica SA
Lea de Castro 51,
Gazcue
809 688 5262
&
Gustavo Mej?a Ricart 117
809 732 9198

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have a friend who uses a facility in Santiago and she says it is well worth the drive from Puerto Plata.

Yes I would agree. The last one I had done in PP was about 13 years ago and I couldn't read it! We have doubtless moved on with regard to the age of Xray machines in PP since then :cheeky:.....but after that experience I have always timed my mammograms with visits to the UK.

Sorry vancer74, I have no experience with augmentation either. I gather the new hospital in Santiago HOMS provides mammograms - they have state of the art equipment; bang up to the minute.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Now that you've mentioned your location, I'd say there was no need to go all the way to Santo Domingo when there are good facilities in Santiago.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I couldn't remember the name of the centre but have now checked my files and here is all the info:
Diagnostica SA
Lea de Castro 51,
Gazcue
809 688 5262

I can't recommend this place enough. When my wife was here, she discovered a lump and immediately the alarm bells went off.

She was quickly reassured by Dr Gideon, a German doctor who speaks perfect English in Servi Med, Cabarete. He referred her to Diagnostica in Santiago.

This was our first experience with medical issues in the DR and we were blown away by the cleanliness, professionalism and quality of service. When we arrived we were very impressed with the look of the place. Marble floors, smoked glass and stainless steel and chrome. Very modern looking. We were met by the receptionist who gave us a form to fill in. One side was Spanish and the other in English.

We waited for ten minutes and then asked to go into the scanner room. I was amazed at the machine. It was state-of-the art robotic mammogram scanner, it must have cost a fortune.

Once my wife was scanned we were asked to come back in two hours. We asked why. They told us, for your results! We came back after two hours to be presented with a folder with the films and a written report by a consultant. We were relieved to hear the good news, but more so, we were amazed that for a small sum of money (I can't remember how much, but it was cheap) we obtained a service that would embarrass any NHS hospital in the UK!

vancer74

May 20, 2008
Thank you all so much for your replies!

We will definately head down to the Clinica SA. It sounds like what we are looking for. We don't mind the extra drvie to Santo Domingo from Cabrera... the new highway makes it a breeze and of course we love to spend a night or 2 in the colonial zone anyways.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

vancer74

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I understand beeza's post correctly, there is a branch of Diagnostica SA in Santiago.

I couldn't find it on Paginas Amarillas so perhaps beeza could provide the address and phone number.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Yes you're right, I meant the one in Santiago. I don't have the address, but once I've dug out my map of Santiago I will let you know where it is.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Here it is.

It's on Ave 27 Feb opposite Plaza Optimus. Has a big green sign saying DIAGNOSTICA

Google Maps

How cool is that, googlemaps now work in the DR!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
From my experience - she might want to request an MRI. It can detect cancer through a prothesis. Better safe than sorry.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Also, to all of you - remember that ductal carcinoma is not detected by a mamogram - only by an ultra sound. Also from experience x 2

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Charlielyn. In my experience they do a mammogram in the first instance, and then depending on the result they/the doctor will recommend a sonogram/MRI.

Also, the centre probably requires a doctor's referral so some recommendations for good gynaecologists in the north coast area would be helpful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Previously recommended by DR1 posters:

Carmen Cid, 809-320-8401
Centro Medico Bournigal, Puerto Plata

Dr. Juan Tatis, Clinica Gregorio Hernandez, Puerto Plata.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks Charlielyn. In my experience they do a mammogram in the first instance, and then depending on the result they/the doctor will recommend a sonogram/MRI.

Also, the centre probably requires a doctor's referral so some recommendations for good gynaecologists in the north coast area would be helpful.

Mammography is still considered the "gold standard" for screening purposes. Any measures taken beyond that would be at the discretion of the interpreting radiologist.

Many centres in NA routinely carry out ultrasound in conjunction with mammography if they know ahead of time the patient has had augmentation done, so it would be advisable to mention it at the time of booking your appointment.

Pleased you have had some feedback...still awaiting word from my friend but it is likely one of those already mentioned.

Good luck!

vancer74

May 20, 2008
Well then Diagnostica SA in Santiago it is then :)

We are hoping that we can just book the Mammagram (making sure to point out the augmentation) and bypass the gynecologist. If not, we will try out one of the Gynecologists recomended in Puerto Plata.

We will definately request an MRI in conjunction with the mammogram. we want to take every precaution available.

Thank-you again to all for your information, input, and advice.

Regards,
vancer74