Obesity in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Look around the dr , there are few fat people.

I don't want to take this off topic, but your statement just isn't accurate. Obesity isn't of the order of the US but it is still very much here. Partly diet and possibily a predisposing gene according to endocrinologists, which leads to higher obesity and diabetes. I won't expand but you can read this:
The PC-1 Q121 Allele Is Exceptionally Prevalent in the Dominican Republic and Is Associated with Type 2 Diabetes -- Hamaguchi et al. 89 (3): 1359 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

OK back to the topic in hand. El-Profe, would you like to update us on how you're getting on?

barfly

May 21, 2009
keeping it real

Thank u lambada for ur constructive criticism. Yes people of african and latino backround do suffer type 2 diabetes ( obesity related type 2 )at a much higher rate than "whites". So this is a problem in the DR but also there is a significant problem of starvation at the same time. This can typically be seen in the :bloated bellies ( owing 2 a lack of protein in the diet ) and orange/blond hair of many street children and alopecia of hair in these children. But endocrinological esoterica is off topic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
45% population is overweight
Endocrinologist Felix Escano estimates that 45% of the Dominican population is overweight, and that 17% of people who are overweight are obese, as reported in Listin Diario. This compares to 65% overweight population in the US, of which half he said is obese.
Escano attributed this level of obesity to overeating and a diet rich in fats and sugars. He said the increased high cholesterol and fat levels in blood are causing health problems. He urged Dominicans to adopt a more active lifestyle, and to improve their diet.

from DR1 News 14th May 2009

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the spirit of 'keeping it real' I should also point out that there is no 'starvation' in the DR. Malnutrition exists but it is not the same thing.

barfly

May 21, 2009
R U 4 Real

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
tHERE r millions of people in the dr who r terribly malnurished the fact that at the same time u have a large population of fat people shows how terribly wealth is maldistruted in the dr. Anyone with eyes can see the bloated bellies, and orange hair of the protein deprived children. And shows how easily people can be distracted by whats going on around them. I detect no sence of outrage on the part of many on this thread....how sad for u people and how sad for the DR. How u can let ur fellow dominicans starve , do nothing about it and in fact deny it exists as if only rich fat domincans deserved ur attention. Sad very sad. May God have mercy on ur soul

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
tHERE r millions of people in the dr who r terribly malnurished the fact that at the same time u have a large population of fat people shows how terribly wealth is maldistruted in the dr. Anyone with eyes can see the bloated bellies, and orange hair of the protein deprived children. And shows how easily people can be distracted by whats going on around them. I detect no sence of outrage on the part of many on this thread....how sad for u people and how sad for the DR. How u can let ur fellow dominicans starve , do nothing about it and in fact deny it exists as if only rich fat domincans deserved ur attention. Sad very sad. May God have mercy on ur soul

If you want to communicate a point on a board created to help English language speakers understand the Dominican Republic and be taken seriously then you might want to consider losing the adolescent text message abbreviations.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You aren't paying attention barfly. Noone said there isn't poverty, or even malnutrition, and there are certainly inequities. Chiri simply pointed out the scientific fact that malunitrition and starvation are 2 totally different things, and the FACT that STARVATION is basically nonexistant in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The only blonde/redheaded children I've seen in the DR certainly were not malnourished, just injections of northern European in their bloodline. I would bet the average Dominican eats as healthy as the average American/Canadian...etc. I've noticed a great increase in fat Dominicans since my first visit in 1997. The older generations seem to have stayed slim.

barfly

May 21, 2009
What a bunch of trolls

I had 1 sentence about malnutrion/starvation in a post entitled english school gets broken into ( almost as an aside ). And u bunch of trolls creat a new thread because of the definition of starvation vs malnutrition lol. Well to those who dont live in Ivory towers there are starving people in the DR.The sad game of semantics lives on. And "2 " the anal retentive who doesnt take me seriously...."those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing".

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Which Dominican Republic are you talking about?

B

BettyDiamond

did you want the five minute arguement or the full half hour?

A

apostropheman

Consider the source :)

According to MAN Encarta:

barfly definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta
MSN Encarta said:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2"><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">barfly

</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="8">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="wordWheelText" valign="top" width="120" height="25">
</td> <td align="right">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="10">
</td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td height="20">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>bar?fly [ br fl ] (plural bar?flies)</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ResultBody">

noun </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="20">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="ResultBodyBlack">Definition:</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>person frequenting bars: a frequent drinker in bars ( slang  )

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>[Early 20th century. Because regarded as a pest]</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
;):cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This could have been an interesting discussion with input from posters who actually work with poor communities in the DR, but not surprisingly it's turned into a pile-on. Better close it before it becomes a full-blown lynch mob.:tired:

Sweet dreams, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.