Pakistani or Pakistani American's living in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahra123

May 27, 2009
Hi - I was wondering if anyone could share thier experiences as Pakistani or Pakistani American's living in the Dominican Republic:

How have you experienced life in the Dominican Republic? Please share anything you feel is signifigant to you.

Have you found your experience adapting to the culture to be different/similar to American's of other ethnicities?

If you are Muslim, do you practice your faith, attend a mosque, etc? How has this experience been for you?

What is your experience/relationship with the Mosque you attend and or Muslim community?

Have you married a Dominican, and if so, what has this experience been like for you? Please cover any and all aspects.

Thank you.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
As a Pakistani-American you will only mingle with the police coronels, lawyers, well-connected well-to-do Dominicans, and the most beautiful Dominicanas.

Reactions: POP Bad Boy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
zahra, I take it you are a woman? Oh well, i could be wrong.
i am a pakistani-american (now a converted dominican) living in santiago for many years. So now I will get to the point:
people are very polite to us if you present yourself in the positive manner. many uneducated people will joke about taliban and may even confuse us for arabs but this is all in tongue and cheeks. I am personally sick and tired of explaining to them that i am not iraqi or taliban and certainly i do not have 4 wives at home. Idiots are all the same everywhere you go.
Santiago has almost no pakistani presence (apart from myself) but I hear santo domingo is full of them. many are medical students but others have decided to stay there and have gotten married to dominican women. but unlike tourists, these guys are married to professional grade, educated dominicanas.
I have started to work in capital as well but so far, I have only spent a day there working. I am already in contact with other pakistani doctors and I will soon get to meet them in person. there is a mosque here (santo domingo) but being the sinful infidel i have become, I have yet to see the doors of it. I hear they have many followers and many dominicans have also converted to islam. the community is peaceful and domincian people are very tolerant towards us. they do not get the urge to bomb us or to make us look like terrorists in every movie which is about us.
So you will have no worries and you will fit in just fine if you watch your steps. We are here to help you if you need any assistance. Feel free to send me a PM.
AZB

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
off topic for a quick second

(azb) u see how u dont like it wen u are stereotyped ..well I dont think that toursits that are married to educated dominican ppl would like it if u say that "unlike tourists ...." (yes it might be a few but they still exist)

Zahra123

May 27, 2009
AZB, Yes, I am a woman. Thank you so much for your response. You are correct there are idiots all around, but its all about how you handle yourself.

I cannot say that I have been to a mosque in sometime either.....but when I am in DR, I would love to visit the mosque in Santo Domingo, from what I understand, it is the only one.

Do you know if Arabic classes are offered anywhere?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic, but aren't just men allowed at mosques? Maybe The DR one would more tolerant I don't know...just curious.

?

? bient?t

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the topic, but aren't just men allowed at mosques? Maybe The DR one would more tolerant I don't know...just curious.

As a Hitchens-wannabe, I've visited mosques. The area for women is partitioned.

Zahra123

May 27, 2009
SuarezN, Both Women and Men are welcome in mosques, this has always been my experience in the U.S.

In many cases the womens prayer area may be located in the same room but directly behind men (in some cases directly beside men in the same room).

In other cases there is a seperate room for women.

Has anyone attended the mosque in SD? How is prayer done there?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB, Yes, I am a woman. Thank you so much for your response. You are correct there are idiots all around, but its all about how you handle yourself.

I cannot say that I have been to a mosque in sometime either.....but when I am in DR, I would love to visit the mosque in Santo Domingo, from what I understand, it is the only one.

Do you know if Arabic classes are offered anywhere?

I don't see why you would want to come to D.R to take arabic classes? you are better off visiting morocco where the culture is liberal and arabic is widely spoken with a french twist. hehehehe.
even the dominican arabs don't speak arabic anymore so you can just imagine the availability of such courses here.
Dominican republic is famous for its beaches and relax lifestyle. can you send me a PM and list all your interests in this country? i want to know why are you concerned with this country and what interests you in wanting to know so much about this place. I have a feeling it has to do something with a domincian man. is this why you had asked if anyone is married to dominicans? if this is the case, then i have a whole lecture to give you.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
SuarezN, Both Women and Men are welcome in mosques, this has always been my experience in the U.S.

In many cases the womens prayer area may be located in the same room but directly behind men (in some cases directly beside men in the same room).

In other cases there is a seperate room for women.

Has anyone attended the mosque in SD? How is prayer done there?

zahra, i would advise you to stay clear of this subject (religion). there are elements dr1 members who would love to see us all dead with a atomic bomb. So stick to "beaches and places to stay", subjects.
just PM me with any questions. i am the smartest man on dr1 planet.
hehehehe
AZB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome also from me, Zahra.

If you need a Pakistani dentist, Dr. Saquib Khan is a great guy, great sense of humour and he and his wife lead a family lifestyle. Very warm approachable person - heard my Spanish accent and immediately started talking cricket because he realised I'm a Brit :cheeky: i.e. he is very culturally aware. You can contact him through Dr. Lepe's surgery in Puerto Plata.

I've never heard him refer to being on the receiving end of taliban/terrorist stupidity, probably because he doesn't get much & he would dismiss it with a joke, anyway.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Welcome to DR1.
I meet a Pakistani American family a few years ago. in Santo Domingo.. Oscar and Ahs.. if you PM me i can give you thier emails and introduce you.. they travel back and forth from ATL.. but Oscar has a little charter business..and loves it here...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I think oscar has moved from SD. He lives in atloanta now and maybe talking up a good job offer in puerto rico.

lambada, just because saquib didn't mention taliban that doesn't mean he is not joked about this often. We have to live with this stereotype for many years.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
As for arab lessons, the Syrian, Palestinian, Lebanese club (Club de Sirio Palestino Libanes) on the malecon in Santo Domingo might have something.

Zahra123

May 27, 2009
Thank You

Wow, thank you all for sharing, I appreciate it. I have read through a lot of the information on DR1, but wanted to get a little more info on topics that interest me.

Thank you for mentioning the names and organizations, could be good resources.

Kinesioaziz

May 19, 2018
Hello

As a Pakistani-American you will only mingle with the police coronels, lawyers, well-connected well-to-do Dominicans, and the most beautiful Dominicanas.

HI there i am a Pakistani Canadian moving to dr in the summer. Why do you think Pakistani do well in dr?

Id appreciate your breakdown

Thx

Aziz

Status
Not open for further replies.