Aren't computers duty free?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I thought that bringing computers in to the DR was supposed to be duty free as they are in the list of items that are exempt duty.

I have just ordered a new iMac from the US via EPS. On top of the carriage charge, which was significant, I received a customs charge of RD$8,000.

Is this right? Is there any redress against this?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, computers should be duty free. Maybe that was the 16% ITBIS that is normally applied.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, that explains it. 8000 pesos is roughly 16% of the value of it. I wasn't aware that there was duty and ITBS applicable!

I suppose I can't complain. The whole carriage and tax has cost about US$400. For those of you who are on the Dark Side and like Apples there is a little heading on the bottom left side of the Apple Store website saying Refurbished mac.

There you will pick up a brand new machine with exactly the same specs and warranty as a full price one, for around $400 cheaper! Take that saving and apply it to shipping here and you have a mac for around the half the price that you would would pay for one in this country.

Be aware though, Apple do not ship to EPS or PO Box addresses, you'll have to find a work around.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
Yes it is duty free, you do not pay any customs'fees.
But you pay only a regular sale tax: the ITBIS

but customs charge you themselves the sale tax because it 's easier for everybody.

They charges but this is not a customs tax. So it is duty free.

Excuse to be redundant, just to be clear.

P.

PS: another way to explain. If items=100 duty 20% You pay a total of 120+itbis.
If duty free you pay 100+ itbis.