Free Satellite TV in Santo domingo

calle13

May 2, 2009
Does anyone use this new "free to air service"? I purchased a satellite receiver from digital TV just north of JFK on luperon. They have full page ads in local newspapers

I paid 6137 pesos for the entire kit. Satellite Dish, receiver, cable. I paid the one of the guys 2000 pesos to install it.

I connected to the echostar @ 110 degrees. It works pretty well.

This is not stealing. You are viewing the unkeyed/free signal from the sky.

anyone else use this?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Does anyone use this new "free to air service"? I purchased a satellite receiver from digital TV just north of JFK on luperon. They have full page ads in local newspapers

Tell it to the Judge, :) All kidding aside I have it as well though the stations available are somewhat limited now from before and the pay per view seems to be the same for months on end.

I prefer now to download off the Interweb commercial free and get all the latest movies... BTW this is not stealing eighter...
smiley_wink.gif

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
These FTA receivers will get less channels every month, due to N3 encryption being implemented in stages. The Nfusion type receivers (that hook up to the internet to download fixes) will probably last longer or have the first fix, if I interpret the chatter correctly.

It could be that they offering these great deals to get rid of the receivers before all the channels get scrambled. How fast this will happen, is anybody's guess. But some of my channels have already gone.

I would also like to warn you that often these systems go down or adjustments have to be made, meaning that there could be extra expenses every time you call them for a problem. Its hard to say without knowing exactly what type of system you will have. But my satellite guy has to come often to fix a variety of problems.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
FTA Hobby

But my satellite guy has to come often to fix a variety of problems.

Then you are lucky to have at least a follow-up service. ;)
Going thing is, to sell the stuff (incl. fake RX's) and never to be heard of again.
Dominican customer service....
So FTA is not really for everybody and it helps to know how to upload the latest bin file into the receiver, to do a factory reset or good channel scanning.
The dish or the LNB's could also get out of alignment and not everybody knows how to recapture good 110 and 119 signals.

But it's fun... :bunny:

Feb 7, 2007
Can you please let me know the phone number for this company? I need a cheap new Viewsat or other FTA receiver for true FTA stuff....
(haha found CARACOL on - BAND in free DVB)

Feb 7, 2007

anyone else use this?

Actually, you are not. You are using an FTA receiver that has been illegally modified via a bin file loaded over the factory file to decrypt an encrypted system, in this case Nagra2 encoded channels.

That there are tens of thousands of people just in SD doing this is another matter. (I was really surprised looking around from one high rise in Los Casicazgos the huge number of dishes I saw... 99% pointing to Charlie TV)

And that the Charlie TV radiofrequency signals are trespassing your property that is also another matter ;)

The point is, in the DR, nobody cares that you are watching that thing you are watching.

BTW, tune to channel 125, a favorite one of many people!

Also my friend you should check these out:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/89165-new-important-info-satellite-tv-dr-charlie-dn-going-n3.html
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/90177-dish-latino-gone-n3-today.html?highlight=dish

P.S.#1- You should have opted for a dual system (dual LNB or two dishes) to get 110w and 119w. With 110w-only setup, you are missing lots of US channels, including USA, Scifi, TBS, TNT, FX, CNN, lots of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Encore and Starz channels (230+ channels to be exact).
What you're missing on, you can find here: DISH Network on Anik F3 & EchoStar 7 at 119.0?W - LyngSat --- skip the Internationals and locals in the beginning and scroll down to "12326 L tp 8" - that's where 119w lineup begins.

P.S.#2 - I am sure the su@k3rs at that company didn't tell you anything about about Nagra 3, and that you will be loosing lots of channels pretty soon (and lots have been already lost). Call the company and if you can, pay up and exchange your system for nfusion, that way you MAY have a chance (not a guarantee) that your investment will not go to a vain. If you have bought Viewsat, Coolsat, Pansat, Sonicview or other receiver, your screen will be going dark pretty soon. Fore more information about nfusion, search this forum.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
To calle13:

If you can, RUN, RUN tomorrow to switch your FTA box if it is not nfusion!!!!

read this: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/91726-dish-premiums-gone-n3-today.html
and this: Nfusion Forum

I mean, nobody can guarantee you that DN will work with nfusion after the N3 conversion is complete, but DN will 99.99% not work with other FTA receiver(s) until N3 is hacked and wide open. As far as nfusion, the past experience (from BEV, which switched completely to N3 last year) shows that nfusion will open up most subscription and premium channels on DN after they have gone N3. Which cannot be said of other receivers, because they do not use IKS (Internet Key Sharing) and nobody knows what will happen to them.

Last edited: