Return Flight?

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Its been over a year since I traveled to the US, and would like to know if I still need to have a return flight?

In other words, If I purchase a round trip ticket that departs from SDQ with destination MIA, is it still necessary that I have an additional return ticket to a US destination?

On my last trip, I did not have a return flight and had no problem, but not sure if it was because they "missed it".

Having a return flight "open" ticket is expensive and if its a regular, It cost money to change the flight ( almost the same cost as the ticket itself ) so I end up never using that flight and the clock runs out.

Have any US citizens recently purchased a round trip ticket originating from the D.R.? without an additional return flight back to the US?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Unfortunately if you are not a resident of the DR you need a flight out - the airline won't let board unless you have one. There is a small chance that they miss the detail, but not worth the risk. I was held up in LA because I did not have a flight out of the DR, and I'm not even a US citizen. Best bet is to buy a refundable ticket for your ticket out, and get the refund - its more expensive, but in the long run cheaper than not using the return portion of your ticket. make sense?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Another idea I thought that could be a cheap option, not sure if they will take it, is to buy a bus ticket into Haiti, wouldn't be very expensive and could be used as proof you will be exiting the country.