Where to buy hot sauce in santo domingo?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Does anyone know where to buy Frank's Redhot sauce in Santo Domingo?

We were previously able to get it in pricesmart in Santiago, but they no longer carry it. Does anyone know where to get it?

2233425972_b35707e1ce.jpg

I'm also particularly looking for the lime flavored one:

prdnav_chilinlime.gif

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
PriceSmart in Santiago did a one time shipment of the standard stuff, I was fortunate enough to have the presence of mind to buy a year's supply, sadly this was a year ago and they don't seem to have brought any more since.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
A competent retailer would take running out of stock quickly as a sign that they should re-order, but this is PriceSmart.

If you remind me periodically over the next couple of weeks I may remember to bring you some, I am in NY right now, and will be heading back in 2 or 3 weeks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I tour the Walmart aisle with the hot sauces...I have a nice selection of hot to NO FUC&*(G WAY YOU MOTHER(*(&)(*!!!!SOB!!!!! Hot....In other words, more than any human palate can stand...
One I particularly like is called "Slap my Butt and Call Me Momma!" (No, I am not kidding.)
Mary Sharp's Hot Sauce, made in Belize is very good.

Let me know if you want some home made hot sauce...

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks for the offers guys.. :)

I've been tasting about 20 different hot sauces and I've decided Franks RedHot is one of my favourites. So I'm looking to buy it in bulk, preferably. If anyone knows where to get it in Santo Domingo, please post, meanwhile I've ordered a some more online to get me through the next month or so. Its actually pretty cheap on Amazon, $3.50/bottle or so - with another $3 or so in shipping (obviously we have to add EPS costs on top of that, but it still might work for larger orders)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I tour the Walmart aisle with the hot sauces...I have a nice selection of hot to NO FUC&*(G WAY YOU MOTHER(*(&)(*!!!!SOB!!!!! Hot....In other words, more than any human palate can stand...
One I particularly like is called "Slap my Butt and Call Me Momma!" (No, I am not kidding.)
Mary Sharp's Hot Sauce, made in Belize is very good.

Let me know if you want some home made hot sauce...

HB

That would be in "shoot him pappy he's got shoes on" country I'm guessing.

There's no Walmart in the DR is there?

I have a collection of hot sauces. Among my favorites are Thai Sriracha sauce and Chinese chili paste.

In fact just last night I put some Sriracha sauce in a tomato sauce; overdid it, paying for it this morning. ;)

I once had a sauce that was so hot I used to dip about one half inch of a chop stick in it and then swirl the chop stick around in a sauce to give it a spicey edge. I can't remember the name of that hot sauce.

I like Frank's but I can't remember ever seeing it in the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked for it. FWIW try Omaha Gourmet on Churchill esq Pastoriza - they sell products of that type. There's another gourmet type place selling lots of imported sauces, relishes etc. on Bolivar just past Lincoln, heading west towards Churchill, can't remember the name.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for the offers guys.. :)

I've been tasting about 20 different hot sauces and I've decided Franks RedHot is one of my favourites. So I'm looking to buy it in bulk, preferably. If anyone knows where to get it in Santo Domingo, please post, meanwhile I've ordered a some more online to get me through the next month or so. Its actually pretty cheap on Amazon, $3.50/bottle or so - with another $3 or so in shipping (obviously we have to add EPS costs on top of that, but it still might work for larger orders)

if you go to any of the mercados in china town,here in La Capital,they have a hot sauce called sriracha hot chili sauce that will put you in the emergency ward with more than 3 drops!!!!!
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I've never seen it, but then again I've never looked for it. FWIW try Omaha Gourmet on Churchill esq Pastoriza - they sell products of that type. There's another gourmet type place selling lots of imported sauces, relishes etc. on Bolivar just past Lincoln, heading west towards Churchill, can't remember the name.
Store on Bolivar was EATS...but it seems to be closed right now...
bob

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
The best that I’ve had is in Guadeloupe. It’s a local pepper, packed in olive oil, named Mama Jack’s A** and besides being extremely hot, it has a great taste after (if) you get past the burn. One drop of the oil is more than enough for a tall Bloody Mary.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you want hot sauce with a kick, try Vietnamese chili garlic sauce! It's more of a paste, I have seen it in both Playero as well as Nacional. Look for the green lid in the salsa or Asian foods isle.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A for several years I have been using this Thai Sriracha, the one with the green top. THis week it was featured in the New York Times. Made in Los Angeles by a Vietnamese refugee and his family, it has gained a nationwide and now world wide reputation. It is not brutally hot, and as Adrian has mentioned, it is hato but it also imparts an enjoyable flavor.

For those that enjoy good hot sauces, there is one from Barbados that is fabulous: It is called 7 S Hot Sauce....I have never seen it anywhere but Barbados..

Sauces such as the one called Scorned Woman are too brutal for mere mortals...

All this is good information...Keep it flowing.

HB

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
why dont you make your own sauce, just buy some hot peppers, boil them with some vinegar, salt, sugar, add a little ketchup and then put them in the blender, real hot, real tasty.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
why dont you make your own sauce, just buy some hot peppers, boil them with some vinegar, salt, sugar, add a little ketchup and then put them in the blender, real hot, real tasty.

I might do just that but I'd substitute tomato paste. I'd experiment with cumin and turmeric.

I frequently make hot sauce for a single meal using Thai fish sauce and fresh lime juce as a base.

Some of the best hot sauces are the little boutique brands from small countries. Each has a distinctive taste along with the punch.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Nacional supermarket in Santiago (and I would presume in S.Dgo. also) sells 'Food Club' chicken wing sauce. Believe it or not, despite its boring name, its actually really pretty good and quite hot, to bost. It does not say 'hot' or 'spicy' anywhere on the bottle but trust me, its a got a good kick.

I make chicken wings every week and I often have to make it myself, since its so hard to find in this country. Just use vinegar, hot sauce, butter, and garlic. Use the vinegar to control the 'hotness' by adding more if its too spicy.

By the way, my favorite is 'Stubb's' chicken wing sauce. Its not the run of the mill buffalo style sauce but if you can take the heat, its delicious with special spices.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
my favorite hot sauce....and it is REALLY hot is made by El Yacateco. I get the red one Chile Habanero. I bring it with me to most restaurants even here in the US and i always bring some with me in the DR.

Franks is tasty...tho quite mild...where just a few drops of this stuff will have you singing a different tune in no time!

My dominican friends freak out when i put hot sauce and pepper on nearly every thing i eat!