Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Does EVERY school have UNIFORMS?!

We are looking into schools and pretty discouraged. Every private one seems to have uniforms and a traditional curriculum. We've got a 6 year old reading at 4th grade level,thanks to child-led learning style (a la Reggio) and there's no way he would work at a traditional-type school where he'd have to learn what someone else thinks he needs to learn when THEY want him to, rather than follow his own curiosity, which serves him (& every other child) quite well.

A uniform school seems to suggest a conformity that we can't deal with and very old-fashioned (Time Mag recently did a cover story on how outdated and ineffective traditional learning is).

We're looking into settling into Punta Cana but the only private schools here seem to be very like-minded and unoriginal. Can anyone suggest an alternative ANYWHERE in the country? Waldorf, Reggio, Montessori-type?Thanks!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorMom View Post
    We are looking into schools and pretty discouraged. Every private one seems to have uniforms and a traditional curriculum. We've got a 6 year old reading at 4th grade level,thanks to child-led learning style (a la Reggio) and there's no way he would work at a traditional-type school where he'd have to learn what someone else thinks he needs to learn when THEY want him to, rather than follow his own curiosity, which serves him (& every other child) quite well.

A uniform school seems to suggest a conformity that we can't deal with and very old-fashioned (Time Mag recently did a cover story on how outdated and ineffective traditional learning is).

We're looking into settling into Punta Cana but the only private schools here seem to be very like-minded and unoriginal. Can anyone suggest an alternative ANYWHERE in the country? Waldorf, Reggio, Montessori-type?Thanks!
    Unfortunately for you every school private or public have uniforms in the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

School uniforms anywhere in the world remove a level of peer pressure no them and us with a uniform

Post Thanks / Like

There is Montisori (sp) in Santo Domingo and Santiago..

HB

Take care of that young guy

BettyDiamond

You want the child to decide what he needs to learn ? I dont quite understand what you are asking ,sounds like a recipe for disaster to me- what if the child isnt very curious.
    Non uniform schools usually lead to pressure to buy the latest labels

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorMom View Post
    A uniform school seems to suggest a conformity that we can't deal with and very old-fashioned
    You might want to look into other societal issues requiring conformity and which appear old-fashioned to you. There could be a larger picture to be examined before you make the decision to move here. If this country isn't the right one for you, you'd be far happier acknowledging that & finding a different country. The DR isn't going to mould itself to you or me or any expat and our perceptions; the adjustment has to be the other way round. Could be that that bright little 6 year old has saved Mum & Dad from a bad decision!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

your better off home schooling your child, especially the way your raising him to be "different"
    if you find uniforms a distraction for you child's, then your raising him to be a social outcast, unless of course you yourself were raised like that,

good luck and I hope you do whats in the BEST interest of your child.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several Montessori schools in the capital, of varying standards. Some are certified by the American Montessori Society, others are Montessori in name only. My son attended one and it was excellent in almost every way.

Without exception, all require uniforms - it's pretty much universal in Dominican schools and everywhere in Latin America and the Caribbean. On the whole, DR school uniforms are fairly casual in comparison to those in some other countries, but there are some rules that I consider incompatible with the climate - like having to wear belted long trousers, socks and shoes.

There is an excellent school in the capital where the uniform is not as rigidly imposed as most others - children wear the polo shirt but can wear shorts, jeans - almost anything as long as it is blue - and don't have to wear black school shoes and white socks, they can wear sandals, and they don't have to tuck their shirts into belted trousers. It's not a Montessori, though.

I went to school up to age 15 in a place where uniforms were not the norm, and then moved to one where they were. At first I hated it, then I came to see the benefits.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think school uniforms should be mandatory everywhere!

I certainly think the positives outweigh the negatives...and as one who went through 12 years of school wearing a uniform....

The one plus I see especially in a country like DR is that it minimizes the "competition" , particularly in the teen years.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

like everyone said, uniforms are the norm here. but i think what bothers me more are the rules that come with the clothing - haircuts are the same (no gel, no curls, no long hair for boys, no fancy barettes for girls, etc..) no earrings for boys and in some schools there is only one kind of earring the girls can wear (for example, a white plastic ball/stud) or they are restricted to post-earrings of a certain size, make up is regulated for high school girls, jewelry, too.

it's said to be a distraction, bla bla bla, to have the kids wearing/doing whatever they want.

and education here is pretty cookie cutter - it needs to be when classes are large and teachers are underpaid (and undertrained. homeschool might be your best bet if you're looking for abstract, fit-the-child education. you're hardup to find anywhere in latin america an (affordable) school tailor fitted for "unschooling"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast