How to make calls without braking the bank?

mikespeedy

May 29, 2009
How can I use the phone while in the DR without costing an arm and a leg? T-mobile charges $1.49 a minute and $.35 for texts and bbm messages. I called and there is no way around it.

I will be on business and will need to make a ton of calls back to the us. Whats the best way?

Phone cards? Prepaid phones?

Mike

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
SKYPE or Magic Jack would be the cheapest on your laptop and obviously requires a solid internet connection.

Buy an inexpensive Prepaid local cell phone in DR, then just refill with cards. Orange or Claro are the two largest telco's. A decent cell will cost as little as $25 with a few bells and whistles, and includes some talk time.

You could bring an old unlocked GSM Quad Band cell from home and have it activated for free with an 809/829 number, then just buy cards.

Please search this site, there are a bunch of threads on local cell service!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
SKYPE or Magic Jack would be the cheapest on your laptop and obviously requires a solid internet connection.
I all ready downloaded Skype but can't creat an account I've been trying many time and I have a solid internet connection but nothing.

JJ

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Buy a cheap Alcatel and you're good to go. You can find them for as little as 200 pesos and that is with a 100 pesos worth of minutes included, then just add minutes as you go.

Sunwise

*** Sin Bin ***
May 6, 2008
You could use Rebtel if the calls you do in US always are the same phone numbers... You call first and ask the person to call you back while you keep the line... and it doesn't cost anything.

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
cheap phone

Buy a cheap Alcatel and you're good to go. You can find them for as little as 200 pesos and that is with a 100 pesos worth of minutes included, then just add minutes as you go.

many of my friends have bought those , u cant go wrong for that price

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
How can I use the phone while in the DR without costing an arm and a leg? T-mobile charges $1.49 a minute and $.35 for texts and bbm messages. I called and there is no way around it.

I will be on business and will need to make a ton of calls back to the us. Whats the best way?

Phone cards? Prepaid phones?

Mike
I have the T-Mobile unlimited text plan i I have never recieved a charge for texting. But you must have the unlimited text plan plus my wife has a Vonage box

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A SmartJack account for $20 buks....you get a phone handset, plug it into the SmartJack, the Smart Jack into your laptop with WIFI--lots of hots spots-- and bingo, dirt cheap calls to the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. It is the quickest and cheapest thing you can do.

I think...

HB

mikespeedy

May 29, 2009
I just unlocked my sim card on the blackberry. Tmobile said I can insert an "Orange sim card" and im good to go. I will give it a go.

Thanks
Mike

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I just unlocked my sim card on the blackberry. Tmobile said I can insert an "Orange sim card" and im good to go. I will give it a go.

Thanks
Mike
This may work mike, but if you plan on useing a lot of minutes,those prepaid minutes go quick when calling the states..The majic jack is the best and cheapest rate if you have a good internet connection..All your calls to the states are free..for heavy minutes useage to the states, this is the way to go.The prepaid orange minutes is the way to go for your calls within the DR..

I talk as much as i want on the majic jack, the thing is great....

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
if he's in the States and inserts a Orange sim card with a 809 number and calls the DR will he get charged long distance or is it considered local ?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
A SmartJack account for $20 buks....you get a phone handset, plug it into the SmartJack, the Smart Jack into your laptop with WIFI--lots of hots spots-- and bingo, dirt cheap calls to the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. It is the quickest and cheapest thing you can do.

I think...

HB

its called magicjack.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
This may work mike, but if you plan on useing a lot of minutes,those prepaid minutes go quick when calling the states..The majic jack is the best and cheapest rate if you have a good internet connection..All your calls to the states are free..for heavy minutes useage to the states, this is the way to go.The prepaid orange minutes is the way to go for your calls within the DR..

I talk as much as i want on the majic jack, the thing is great....

rsg..Does the magic jack allows you to receive calls too? thanks..

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Most other folks use these things, but I don't want to be bothered by installations, extra equipment, or other gymnastics to use the service.

I have used Web callback - Low Rates on Quality International Calling for Call Back Service for about 10 years or so, and it suits my needs. Why?
It is a call-back service. I use any computer with an internet connection to go to their website. I enter the telephone number where I want to receive the call, and the telephone number I want to call, anywhere in the world. They have a delay feature so that I can even receive the call anytime in the next hour. My phone rings, I pick it up, and in a few seconds, it rings and the other end picks up the call. I use the same telephone and lines as if I were using Jodetel or Orange.

No set-up fees, no extra equipment, no software installations, I don't have to pay a deposit, and my credit card is billed once a month, (or when my bill hits US$50) on the same day of the month for that month's calls. The statements for the past three months are all online so I can even use it to look up a number if I can't remember it. I print out the statements to get reimbursed for my business calls. They also have a conference call feature which I have used in the past, at equal rates.

I think the current rate from the DR to the states is $0.102 per minute. My phone bill is rarely over $25 a month. I have travelled extensively on business in the past, and have never wanted to be bothered dragging a laptop with me in my travels. I can use anyone else's computer or an internet cafe to make my calls, and I get the bill for the call, so no problem.

I know that BestNetCall now offers many other services, but I can't be bothered. I know this service, and it does what I need it to do, wherever in this world that I find myself. I am a technophobe, and don't even own a cellphone, so you can take my words with a grain of salt.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Using Rebtel to Make Free Calls

You could use Rebtel if the calls you do in US always are the same phone numbers... You call first and ask the person to call you back while you keep the line... and it doesn't cost anything.

Hi, I've been using Rebtel to make calls to DR because they've got the lowest rate I've been able to find so far from Canada and I've been having trouble using Skype and MSN or any other internet reliant communication method because of poor quality IP service with the party I'm contacting on the DR end... My question is about the free calls. I've read the intructions on the Rebtel site, that you call your party and then get them to hang up and call you back while you wait on the line and supposedly the call willl connect and it's free. I haven't actually tried it yet but I'm wondering has anyone actually tried this and did it really work? Because logically, if I stay on the line and he hangs up and calls me back, won't he just get a busy signal? Or if I have call waiting won't it just go to my other line? Thanks... Shiraz

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
FYI.......Vonage..........

Not that it's FREE or even a GREAT bargain, but Vonage just lowered it's rates on calls to cell phones from 18 cents to 8 cents............(calling landlines are free with a Vonage Line......)
Here's the info I received via email yesterday.......(we have a Vonage line in property in the US)........

Hello ,

Thank you for being a loyal Vonage customer. We have made a number of changes recently to help you stay connected with your loved ones while saving you even more.

First, we've REDUCED our mobile calling rates to Colombia, Peru, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Argentina by over 50%. We realize people don't sit at home all day; so while calls to landlines have always been included in our low Vonage World* price, you can now call mobile phones in these countries at these newly-reduced rates:

Dominican Republic: Old Rate: 0.18
New Rate: 0.08
%Savings: 56%

We're also thrilled to announce the launch of our brand new Spanish language website espanol.vonage.com where you can manage your account, check out all our cool features, and get full in-language online servicing and support.

And, when you spread the word, you can get one month of FREE† service for every friend or family member you refer who signs up for Vonage. Refer as many as you want; there's no limit. And, if they prefer Spanish, just tell them to sign up at espanol.vonage.com. Just make sure they enter your Vonage phone number so you get credit for the referral.

We appreciate your business and thank you again for your loyalty.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if the person only wants to call usa and doesn't not want to receive calls then the solution is simple.
Get a smart phone HTC, iphone or even ipod touch with wifi. Now install a free app called vonage. Do not buy the minutes when it will ask for it. Now just make calls for free to any number in usa. yes guys, I can make calls to usa for free on my ipod touch in a wifi zone. Vonage gives you free calling to usa when you install the app. I have no account with vonage.
AZB

if the person only wants to call usa and doesn't not want to receive calls then the solution is simple.
Get a smart phone HTC, iphone or even ipod touch with wifi. Now install a free app called vonage. Do not buy the minutes when it will ask for it. Now just make calls for free to any number in usa. yes guys, I can make calls to usa for free on my ipod touch in a wifi zone. Vonage gives you free calling to usa when you install the app. I have no account with vonage.
AZB

Great tip AZB, I just download it and works great! In the past I used a SIP mobile application in my iPhone, incoming calls are not free, but outgoings are. Something here but I notice better voice quality. Will continue to test.....