Cell Phones

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Does anybody else get as irritated ( I could use a stronger word) as me with the blatant lies told by the cell phone companies in the advertising in this country? How I wish there was an Adverising Standards Agency to whom they could be reported and then fined mightily.
- National Coverage - what a lie! At home the only company from whom I can get any signal at all is Orange and then only if I stand on a chair at the back door.
For 18 months I have been trying to get a telephone inalambrica with an external antenna, which would work here with an antenna on top of a pole on the roof. I wont give a full description of the run around Ive been given. Manana I could live with but its next week, or month or century.

And what is this obsession of Dominicans for the telephone? Try and get an email address, its like looking for hens teeth. You are not allowed to put a clear succinct question to many companies, you have to telephone. You then find someone trying to talk to you on a line that crackles, fades, has continual interruptions while she speaks to her supervisor, Pablo. Maria or somebody else. She then gabbles in an unknown Dominican dialect as if she was trying to copy many TV announcers who try to give 10 minutes news in 5 minutes. Wont answer the question, tries to sell me all kinds of services I dont want and which would not work anyway.
I dont believe I am unique with this complaint but how do other people feel?
(Sorry about the lack of apostrophes but my keyboard has gone wonky!)

Feb 7, 2007
My friend form US told me there are GSM signal amplifiers. You just plug them in and they amplify a 1-bar signal into a full-bar signal, for all GSM networks. I don't know more details, you can search ebay, amazon and bestbuy.

Jan 17, 2009
Granca,

I'm not sure if you're talking about Orange service reps. My frustrations with them are huge!! But guess what, being Hispanic I noticed, they're not Dominicans! They're Colombians living in Colombia and have no clue of what you're talking about. Useless service.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My friend form US told me there are GSM signal amplifiers. You just plug them in and they amplify a 1-bar signal into a full-bar signal, for all GSM networks. I don't know more details, you can search ebay, amazon and bestbuy.

I didn't know such a thing existed until you mentioned it. Could be a handy gadget.

What frequency band does Orange use here?