Artificial Cana [roofing material] ? ?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Many hotels, restaurants, private property owners, etc. use sugar cane leaves ["cana"] in local Spanish, to construct the roofs of open air buildings. There are several advantages & disadvantages.
* I'm told by some reputable people that ?, probably in Santo Domingo sells 'artificial cana', which appears to be plastic, shaped, colored & formed to strongly resemble actual cana. I'm looking for a large roof for a very large deck in POP.
* Does anyone know who sells it?
* Does anyone have actual hands on experience with artificial cana roofs over X years? Advantages? Problem areas? Costs? Advice? Suggestions? Alternatives?
* Thank you.

james

Jan 14, 2002
I am also interested in this material. Please let me know also where it can be seen.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Have seen some

Many hotels, restaurants, private property owners, etc. use sugar cane leaves ["cana"] in local Spanish, to construct the roofs of open air buildings. There are several advantages & disadvantages.
* I'm told by some reputable people that ?, probably in Santo Domingo sells 'artificial cana', which appears to be plastic, shaped, colored & formed to strongly resemble actual cana. I'm looking for a large roof for a very large deck in POP.
* Does anyone know who sells it?
* Does anyone have actual hands on experience with artificial cana roofs over X years? Advantages? Problem areas? Costs? Advice? Suggestions? Alternatives?
* Thank you.

The stuff I have seen here in the capital looked fake! just cant remember where I seen it.yep remember colmado on the corner of sanchez and billini colonial zone. but the El Conuco has the real palm leave and looks good.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
the name of the product is Palma Cana Sintetica, and it`s distributed and installed by Ocho Hierros in Santo Domingo. km 11 Autopista Duarte.
the only advantage I see in this roof is the the minimun maintenance, not need to fumigate. and it last for over 30 years.
the regular Cana roof is far more beautiful and natural and it last for 8 to 10 years. it needs regular maintenance.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
the name of the product is Palma Cana Sintetica, and it`s distributed and installed by Ocho Hierros in Santo Domingo. km 11 Autopista Duarte.
the only advantage I see in this roof is the the minimun maintenance, not need to fumigate. and it last for over 30 years.
the regular Cana roof is far more beautiful and natural and it last for 8 to 10 years. it needs regular maintenance.

and a cat because the rats like to hide in the cana roofs

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
well my cats must be too heavy as they adore chasing rats and playing on the cana roof over my office and it is now so full of hole it leaks like a sieve!!!

Matilda

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Thank you

Thank you for all of the very positive & informative responses.
* Ocho Hierros? Has a web site: www.ochohierros.com; it is easy to navigate; there are @ 6 different types of articifical cana for sale; no prices listed; probably available by phone; many usefull illustrative photos.
* Odd? I don't know anyone who has ever purchased the stuff?? I've never seen it, or, probably, recognized it, on the north coast or Santiago. Perhaps, the counterfeit is so realistic it's not detectable? Probably not.
* It seems that Ocho Hierros also installs the product. Mandatory? Not clear. I need more research.
* Again, many thanks to all who responded to my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Maintenance? Normal? Cana roofs

I have decided to buy & have installed a cana roof - @ 100 M2. Several posters have mentioned maintenance in their posts.
* What does or should initiail maintenance & periodic maintenance consist of in a medium sized cana [@ 100 M2] roof? Thank you.