Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Artificial Cana [roofing material] ? ?

Many hotels, restaurants, private property owners, etc. use sugar cane leaves ["cana"] in local Spanish, to construct the roofs of open air buildings. There are several advantages & disadvantages.
    * I'm told by some reputable people that ?, probably in Santo Domingo sells 'artificial cana', which appears to be plastic, shaped, colored & formed to strongly resemble actual cana. I'm looking for a large roof for a very large deck in POP.
    * Does anyone know who sells it?
    * Does anyone have actual hands on experience with artificial cana roofs over X years? Advantages? Problem areas? Costs? Advice? Suggestions? Alternatives?
    * Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Cana is not sugar cane leaf (caņa) - it's palm leaf.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a PM telling you who has it installed.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also interested in this material. Please let me know also where it can be seen.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have seen some

Quote Originally Posted by gringosabroso View Post
    Many hotels, restaurants, private property owners, etc. use sugar cane leaves ["cana"] in local Spanish, to construct the roofs of open air buildings. There are several advantages & disadvantages.
    * I'm told by some reputable people that ?, probably in Santo Domingo sells 'artificial cana', which appears to be plastic, shaped, colored & formed to strongly resemble actual cana. I'm looking for a large roof for a very large deck in POP.
    * Does anyone know who sells it?
    * Does anyone have actual hands on experience with artificial cana roofs over X years? Advantages? Problem areas? Costs? Advice? Suggestions? Alternatives?
    * Thank you.

The stuff I have seen here in the capital looked fake! just cant remember where I seen it.yep remember colmado on the corner of sanchez and billini colonial zone. but the El Conuco has the real palm leave and looks good.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Cana is not sugar cane leaf (caņa) - it's palm leaf.

Correct.
    Cana is a palm leaf and used to make roofs.
    Caņa is sugar cane.

A well build and installed cana roof with quality cana can last many years.

I have not seen the fake stuff yet (sure interested to see it).

... J-D,

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

the name of the product is Palma Cana Sintetica, and it`s distributed and installed by Ocho Hierros in Santo Domingo. km 11 Autopista Duarte.
    the only advantage I see in this roof is the the minimun maintenance, not need to fumigate. and it last for over 30 years.
    the regular Cana roof is far more beautiful and natural and it last for 8 to 10 years. it needs regular maintenance.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    the name of the product is Palma Cana Sintetica, and it`s distributed and installed by Ocho Hierros in Santo Domingo. km 11 Autopista Duarte.
    the only advantage I see in this roof is the the minimun maintenance, not need to fumigate. and it last for over 30 years.
    the regular Cana roof is far more beautiful and natural and it last for 8 to 10 years. it needs regular maintenance.
    and a cat because the rats like to hide in the cana roofs

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

well my cats must be too heavy as they adore chasing rats and playing on the cana roof over my office and it is now so full of hole it leaks like a sieve!!!

Matilda

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    well my cats must be too heavy as they adore chasing rats and playing on the cana roof over my office and it is now so full of hole it leaks like a sieve!!!

Matilda
    or they make too much holes chasing the rats !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast