Medical insurance

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am a 61 year old male looking for excellent medical insurance coverage here in the D.R. I would appreciate any feedback. I reside in Santiago and would prefer a company that is accepted in the new hospital here. I checked online and the prices were ridiculous. These were companies selling to ex-pats. I am in excellent health, but at 61, who knows how long. Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
humano
monumental
universal
la colonial
those are the main insurance companies in DR with several more. i am sure other dr1ers can suggest a company that is best for men of your age. the prices will differ depending on company and the plan you will choose so i suggest you speak to the agents of all bigger insurers. they usually have people that speak very good english.

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008
well, before i had Humano which i was paying 915 pesos every month but then now i changed to Colonial because im paying 975 pesos every month with the same coverage PLUS 75 % Ilimited medicines at the drugstores.

and yes insurance dont take people after 69 years old

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no only will not take

If I recall correctly, the plan we have (ARS PALIC) will not insure people over the age of 69. Is that true for other plans?

To be quite clear on this one - not only will they not issue new policies but they will not extend coverage. There was only one company that I found that would extend coverage up to age 75 and after that they would drop you,

As far as I know there is no local medical insurance available here for seniors.
I would be happy to be contradicted on this one!

If you can afford international insurance, IHI out of Denmark is one of the top rated and will not increase your rate every year while aging -- now be really careful here since their affiliate BUPHA will - and they will try to send you to BUPHA in Venezuela. IHI Denmark will increase the rate only as all the groups are going up but BUPHA will increase every year with age. I had to go through an agent in Hong Kong to get mine.

International insurance means that you can go anywhere in the world for treatment -- including the States. There are also many international plans which exclude the States and are cheaper -- great if you are Canadian or Brit or other with good government health care.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
To be quite clear on this one - not only will they not issue new policies but they will not extend coverage. There was only one company that I found that would extend coverage up to age 75 and after that they would drop you,

As far as I know there is no local medical insurance available here for seniors.
I would be happy to be contradicted on this one!

If you can afford international insurance, IHI out of Denmark is one of the top rated and will not increase your rate every year while aging -- now be really careful here since their affiliate BUPHA will - and they will try to send you to BUPHA in Venezuela. IHI Denmark will increase the rate only as all the groups are going up but BUPHA will increase every year with age. I had to go through an agent in Hong Kong to get mine.

International insurance means that you can go anywhere in the world for treatment -- including the States. There are also many international plans which exclude the States and are cheaper -- great if you are Canadian or Brit or other with good government health care.

Mountainannie: Ars Universal would not drop you at the age of 75 and is excellent health insurance...but the maximun age to issue a new policy is 65 years old...
You have to select the "right plan " that meets your requirements and needs...
ARS Universal phone number in Santiago is 809-724-2211.... Los Jardines Metropolitanos

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I am a 61 year old male looking for excellent medical insurance coverage here in the D.R. I would appreciate any feedback. I reside in Santiago and would prefer a company that is accepted in the new hospital here. I checked online and the prices were ridiculous. These were companies selling to ex-pats. I am in excellent health, but at 61, who knows how long. Thanks

Ars Universal is excellent...the maximum age to issue a new policy is 65 years old and they don't drop you at an older age as long as you pay...they give you a 10% discount if you pay annually, but you need "to ask for discount"...
The payment depends on the plan that you choose...I have Plan Supremo Plus...I don't know if the plan is accepted in the new hospital (Homs) but it is accepted at excellent clinics, medical center all around the country....
809-724-2211 Ave. Metropolitana corner of 13 Street...Los Jardines Metropolitanos...
Seguros Universal
Feel free to send a pm

Reactions: rubio_higuey

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Are you saying that once you reach 65 they will not insure or they will insure during the 65th year

Aross...Good question..... I just called them(Ars Universal) and they told me it has to be "before "you reach 65 years old..... it means they will insure "during" the 64th year.....

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Aross...Good question..... I just called them(Ars Universal) and they told me it has to be "before "you reach 65 years old..... it means they will insure "during" the 64th year.....

Thank you, that is what I had heard so I was just wanted to confirm it.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I know someone at age 72 is insured with Humano for $9500 peso's for 6 months, Good policy

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I know someone at age 72 is insured with Humano for $9500 peso's for 6 months, Good policy

As was said, most companies will issue you policy until 65-69 years of age, and most will drop you at 75. According to some posts, ARS Universal won't drop you at 75 provided you pay on time.

laurg

Jun 30, 2009
I'm sure people have asked this question before, but I couldn't find it on the forum so far.
I will be living in the DR for about 6 months. Should I get insurance from home(Canada) or the DR?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Medical Insurance

We are in the process of purchasing health coverage that applies to USA, Canada and the DR.
One stipulation is that we cannot spend more than 6 months in the USA.

The cost is less than we pay for US coverage now. Should be about $6,000/year. 61 year male with wife.

International Medical Group is the broker, backed by Lloyd's.

Yes, evacuation to US hospital for emergencies is included.

My wife did the legwork, that's all I know.

International Health Insurance for International Citizens

WW

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
we are planning on going down to live six months out of a year in 2 years. can we buy this insurance and use it if travelling down to the dominican in the meantime