Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Medical insurance

    I am a 61 year old male looking for excellent medical insurance coverage here in the D.R. I would appreciate any feedback. I reside in Santiago and would prefer a company that is accepted in the new hospital here. I checked online and the prices were ridiculous. These were companies selling to ex-pats. I am in excellent health, but at 61, who knows how long. Thanks

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,594
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    humano
    monumental
    universal
    la colonial
    those are the main insurance companies in DR with several more. i am sure other dr1ers can suggest a company that is best for men of your age. the prices will differ depending on company and the plan you will choose so i suggest you speak to the agents of all bigger insurers. they usually have people that speak very good english.

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I went with Humano. $500.00 for 1 year. Very good coverage, no meds only if in the hospital.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    well, before i had Humano which i was paying 915 pesos every month but then now i changed to Colonial because im paying 975 pesos every month with the same coverage PLUS 75 % Ilimited medicines at the drugstores.

    and yes insurance dont take people after 69 years old

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default no only will not take

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    If I recall correctly, the plan we have (ARS PALIC) will not insure people over the age of 69. Is that true for other plans?
    To be quite clear on this one - not only will they not issue new policies but they will not extend coverage. There was only one company that I found that would extend coverage up to age 75 and after that they would drop you,

    As far as I know there is no local medical insurance available here for seniors.
    I would be happy to be contradicted on this one!

    If you can afford international insurance, IHI out of Denmark is one of the top rated and will not increase your rate every year while aging -- now be really careful here since their affiliate BUPHA will - and they will try to send you to BUPHA in Venezuela. IHI Denmark will increase the rate only as all the groups are going up but BUPHA will increase every year with age. I had to go through an agent in Hong Kong to get mine.

    International insurance means that you can go anywhere in the world for treatment -- including the States. There are also many international plans which exclude the States and are cheaper -- great if you are Canadian or Brit or other with good government health care.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    To be quite clear on this one - not only will they not issue new policies but they will not extend coverage. There was only one company that I found that would extend coverage up to age 75 and after that they would drop you,

    As far as I know there is no local medical insurance available here for seniors.
    I would be happy to be contradicted on this one!

    If you can afford international insurance, IHI out of Denmark is one of the top rated and will not increase your rate every year while aging -- now be really careful here since their affiliate BUPHA will - and they will try to send you to BUPHA in Venezuela. IHI Denmark will increase the rate only as all the groups are going up but BUPHA will increase every year with age. I had to go through an agent in Hong Kong to get mine.

    International insurance means that you can go anywhere in the world for treatment -- including the States. There are also many international plans which exclude the States and are cheaper -- great if you are Canadian or Brit or other with good government health care.

    Mountainannie: Ars Universal would not drop you at the age of 75 and is excellent health insurance...but the maximun age to issue a new policy is 65 years old...
    You have to select the "right plan " that meets your requirements and needs...
    ARS Universal phone number in Santiago is 809-724-2211.... Los Jardines Metropolitanos

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    I am a 61 year old male looking for excellent medical insurance coverage here in the D.R. I would appreciate any feedback. I reside in Santiago and would prefer a company that is accepted in the new hospital here. I checked online and the prices were ridiculous. These were companies selling to ex-pats. I am in excellent health, but at 61, who knows how long. Thanks
    Ars Universal is excellent...the maximum age to issue a new policy is 65 years old and they don't drop you at an older age as long as you pay...they give you a 10% discount if you pay annually, but you need "to ask for discount"...
    The payment depends on the plan that you choose...I have Plan Supremo Plus...I don't know if the plan is accepted in the new hospital (Homs) but it is accepted at excellent clinics, medical center all around the country....
    809-724-2211 Ave. Metropolitana corner of 13 Street...Los Jardines Metropolitanos...
    Seguros Universal
    Feel free to send a pm

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Ars Universal is excellent...the maximum age to issue a new policy is 65 years old ... Seguros Universal
    Feel free to send a pm
    Are you saying that once you reach 65 they will not insure or they will insure during the 65th year

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aross View Post
    Are you saying that once you reach 65 they will not insure or they will insure during the 65th year
    Aross...Good question..... I just called them(Ars Universal) and they told me it has to be "before "you reach 65 years old..... it means they will insure "during" the 64th year.....

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Aross...Good question..... I just called them(Ars Universal) and they told me it has to be "before "you reach 65 years old..... it means they will insure "during" the 64th year.....
    Thank you, that is what I had heard so I was just wanted to confirm it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •