Banco Popular ATM SCAM ?

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
I think Banco Popular ATM's are scamming..

Went one morning to an BP ATM in front of the bank .... inserted card , put in pin , hit english, blah blah... hit $5000 for the amount....

The ATM only gave $500 ..... went inside told the clerk ..... Went back to the ATM got the rest $4500....

Now the ATM only gave me $500 and only deducted $500 from my account.... so no harm no foul ... just an other fee cause i had to make 2 transactions.

That was like 3 weeks ago.....

Now today same thing at diffrent BP ATM in front of bank......... inserted card , put in pin , hit english, blah blah... hit $5000 for the amount....

The ATM only gave $500 ..... and the receipt only said $500, got the rest $4500.... went inside told the clerk ..... Went home ..... Same thing only to ATM one for $500 and one for the $4500.....

Again no harm no foul but had to do 2 transaction and hade to pay 2 fees....

any one else has had this problem...... I know i am not crazy i did not hit the 500 amount ....... I did hit the $5000

Do you think they do this to get you to do 2 transactions and get more fees....

My card is a US debit card......

Knowing how things are here and how companies like to nickel-and-dime you i belive this is a case of that.......

Roshe!

Nov 30, 2008
passion.sitesell.com
Maybe...it is a possibility.

2000pesos suddenly disappeared from my saving account last year September,l never shared my PIN or debit card with no one.It was a real case of SCAM.I reported the case to banco popular,it was investigated and maybe the person was caught l dont know but my money was refunded after 4days.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
They are scamming and so is everyone else here. BP did the same to me at the tellers cage. Shorted me on my withdrawal slip then gave me the difference with an additional charge. I have been here 3 1/2 years and have learned one thing. EVERYBODY WANTS WHAT IS IN YOUR POCKET....PERIOD. Do not take verbal agreements, EVER. And even contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. Even Only trust locals that you REALLY know. Remember, watch your money close, because they are watching it closer. I will get a lot of flack from this but everyone knows it's true. So forgive me for being honest.

Reactions: POP Bad Boy

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I have had ALOT of problems with Banco BHD recently. Everytime i purchase something online the transaction is declined and more often than not i try again, maybe three times and every time it is declined! Problem is the amount of the transaction is debited from my account, I obviously no longer try more than once. It takes weeks to get back into your account, meanwhile you have not paid for or purchased what you wanted and are missing hundreds of dollars from your account allocated for this purpose.

Also Mr Lj put 15,000 pesos into an account for which i use for paypal transactions. The above happened and 3 x?s 114 USD was debited from account. After a few days the three amounts were showing as one transaction of 10,900 pesos the correct total in pesos. So i was waiting for the money to be returned as it was just floating around in cyber space as far as i was concerned. Anyway my husband went into the bank and said that he demanded the money be returned as the transaction was declined and saw no reason why the money is not returned immediatly.

They said that he withdrew 10,900 pesos in cash three days after money was deposited!!!!! He went mad in the bank and said that was not the case, the money was deposited which he had the reciept for the deposit and the transactions took place almost immediatly after once i checked the balance online at home.

He demanded they produce the reciept and two days later they produced it!! But we know 100% that money was NOT withdrawn!!

This is not the first time we have experienced problems with BHD as far as internet transactions.

Dont know what else to do apart from change banks?:ermm:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
the banco popular ATM in the malecon center does the same thing. The preset says RD$5000, and only gives RD$500. I don't think they're ripping us off otherwise it would have been fixed by now. I just enter in the amount by hitting "other", then it works.

This may also work better in the spanish language interface although I haven't tried it.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
They have this problem at some ATMs, you select RD$5000, but the machine gives you RD$500, and the same amount (RD$500) is deducted from your account. But that's NOT a scam, just wrong programming of the machine. Choose "other" option, enter 5000 and you will get it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
YES but WHY NOT post this?

They have this problem at some ATMs, you select RD$5000, but the machine gives you RD$500, and the same amount (RD$500) is deducted from your account. But that's NOT a scam, just wrong programming of the machine. Choose "other" option, enter 5000 and you will get it.

Same thing happens with the Popular machine in Gazcue. BUT-- ONE cannot help but wonder why they do not post a note to this effect? This has been broken for a least a month -------

OK just another "no eres cupable"

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Same thing happens with the Popular machine in Gazcue. BUT-- ONE cannot help but wonder why they do not post a note to this effect? This has been broken for a least a month -------

That would be logical.

Living in the DR is sometimes like living "beyond the looking glass" and logic is not a known concept.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

It does not surprise me, because....nobody cares....in their view, nobody is getting ripped off (the amount you are given is the same amount you are being charged) so why bother doing something about it? Dominican logic.

erhall

Jun 6, 2008
i had the same thing happen when trying to withdraw $2000 on 2 seperate occassions. Instead of the 2000, I got $200. I actually didnt consider they were doing this on purpose to generate additional $$ in fees. Could be the case...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Never had this problem with scotia bank, the only problem I have had is that I forget my card, due to a slight different in procedure to Canadas atms. In canada, when you withdraw you are prompted to remove your card, then you recieve the cash, in the DR its the reverse - so you say to yourself, I have the cash, must have the card. Its something to keep in mind.

If you are using an international debit, it's probably best to withdraw teh maximum 10 000, as you are hit with a $5 fee everytime you withdraw, in the long run it probably saves you quite a few dollars.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Wake up people

Who owns the banks? The government or the wealthy. Neither one gives a crap.
You can literally catch them with their hands in your pocket and who are you going to complain to? THE POLICIA!!!!!!! They have their hands in your other pocket. I stopped keeping my money in the banks here because one day they will take it ALL. Then what will you do. NOTHING!!!!!!!! Because nobody will listen. They will just laugh at you. Banks are closing left and right in the U.S.
Do you really believe it won't happen here? I would like to know if funds are federally ins:cheeky::cheeky:ured here like in the states. Be smarter than them. WATCH YOUR BACK.

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
the banco popular ATM in the malecon center does the same thing. The preset says RD$5000, and only gives RD$500. I don't think they're ripping us off otherwise it would have been fixed by now. I just enter in the amount by hitting "other", then it works.

This may also work better in the spanish language interface although I haven't tried it.

Man i am glad , cause now i really know i am not crazy....

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004

I owuld love to say it's not a scam ,,,,,,, but if so many people have posted the problem i would imagine so many have complaind to BP..... And the fact that there is still a promblem lead me to belive its a scam to get more fees.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Never had this problem with scotia bank, the only problem I have had is that I forget my card, due to a slight different in procedure to Canadas atms. In canada, when you withdraw you are prompted to remove your card, then you recieve the cash, in the DR its the reverse - so you say to yourself, I have the cash, must have the card. Its something to keep in mind.

If you are using an international debit, it's probably best to withdraw teh maximum 10 000, as you are hit with a $5 fee everytime you withdraw, in the long run it probably saves you quite a few dollars.

I withdraw funds from Scotia Bank ATM's in the DR using the debit card for my Bank of America account in the US and am not charged the international fee ($5) nor the additional percentage (3%?) charge. The percentage is charged if I use my card at a teller.

Scotia Bank ATM splash screens in the DR announce international agreements with Barclays, Westpac, BNP Parabas and Deutsche Bank in addition to Bank of America. The splash screen states that if you have a DR Scotia Bank account and travel abroad you can use the ATM's of those banks without fees.

If you have an account with any of these banks check with them to determine if the same courtesy is extended when you use your card in a DR Scotia Bank ATM.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I think Banco Popular ATM's are scamming..

Went one morning to an BP ATM in front of the bank .... inserted card , put in pin , hit english, blah blah... hit $5000 for the amount....

The ATM only gave $500 ..... went inside told the clerk ..... Went back to the ATM got the rest $4500....

Now the ATM only gave me $500 and only deducted $500 from my account.... so no harm no foul ... just an other fee cause i had to make 2 transactions.

That was like 3 weeks ago.....

Now today same thing at diffrent BP ATM in front of bank......... inserted card , put in pin , hit english, blah blah... hit $5000 for the amount....

The ATM only gave $500 ..... and the receipt only said $500, got the rest $4500.... went inside told the clerk ..... Went home ..... Same thing only to ATM one for $500 and one for the $4500.....

Again no harm no foul but had to do 2 transaction and hade to pay 2 fees....

any one else has had this problem...... I know i am not crazy i did not hit the 500 amount ....... I did hit the $5000

Do you think they do this to get you to do 2 transactions and get more fees....

My card is a US debit card......

Knowing how things are here and how companies like to nickel-and-dime you i belive this is a case of that.......

No idea why it does it, but always does, and its not just one, its EVERY machine I've ever tried with the "quick" cash numbers, always takes off a 0 and gives you that, and charges you only that. Now, not a problem for me as we don't have withdrawl charges, but can understand the frustration for many people, the people inside the bank don't seem to care when you tell them....

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
I withdraw funds from Scotia Bank ATM's in the DR using the debit card for my Bank of America account in the US and am not charged the international fee ($5) nor the additional percentage (3%?) charge. The percentage is charged if I use my card at a teller.

Scotia Bank ATM splash screens in the DR announce international agreements with Barclays, Westpac, BNP Parabas and Deutsche Bank in addition to Bank of America. The splash screen states that if you have a DR Scotia Bank account and travel abroad you can use the ATM's of those banks without fees.

If you have an account with any of these banks check with them to determine if the same courtesy is extended when you use your card in a DR Scotia Bank ATM.

this is true , i have posted this in the past a very good service , no fees and great echange rate

Domwolf

Mar 22, 2004
No idea why it does it, but always does, and its not just one, its EVERY machine I've ever tried with the "quick" cash numbers, always takes off a 0 and gives you that, and charges you only that. Now, not a problem for me as we don't have withdrawl charges, but can understand the frustration for many people, the people inside the bank don't seem to care when you tell them....

When does CS care here ....... if you find a CS agent in any company here that will really helpyou ,,,,, make good friends with them quick cause they are a rare bread..... No one here cares for the companies they work for...... You can give me the they get paid to little blah blah blah , but if you took a CS job, act like a CS agent and help,..... not kick the client in the a$$ for asking for what they are due and paid for .