North or South?

J

Joe Tourist

Looking to buy a home in the DR. Is there much difference between the 2 coasts? I like lots of action at night, but with the option of peacfull, quiet surroundings if I want it.
Is the area around Sosua really really packed with Germans?
The properties on the Haciendas el Choco looks a pretty nice location. Anyone got experience with them?

S

Sandy

I tend to prefer the North Coast for exactly the mix of tranquility/activity that you mentioned. Yes there are Germans, but also Canadians, folks from the U.S.A, and others. One comment on Haciendas el Choco: I used to have a friend that lived there whom I would visit several times a week, and I must say, the good points of that area are greatly outweighed by that terrible road that you must drive on to reach the development. And if you think the ruts, dust, and dumptrucks (they load caliche at the mine there) are bad, wait until rainy season when it turns into a muddy mess. Very easy to tell who lives there by their filthy cars. This was the reason my friend sold at a substantial loss in order to relocate.

W

williamleslie

Haciendas el Choco is only 7 to 8 minutes from the night life of Sosua. Sosua is a town with permanent residents as well as tourists so you can get to know people that are not leaving every week or so just as soon as you get to meet them. I have an American friend who just built a large home there. If I can get his new e-mail number I will let you know.