First time to SD / DR!

northstarnewbie

Jun 1, 2009
Hello all,
I am visiting your beautiful country this July from the 1st - 16th. I was referred by many to stick to the AI's in Punta Cana but have so far resisted that advice so that I might better experience the culture and beauty of the island. A couple questions: 1) i am considering to fly into Santo Domingo and stay for a few days then work my way up the eastern coast and finally end up at an AI for the last part of my trip and fly out of Punta Cana. I am traveling with my wife and would like to have your recommendation for a safe, medium priced hotel / B&B near the sights of Santo Domingo. How long do you recommend I stay walking the historic areas of the city, and what is the best way to head to the Bayahibe area? I appologize fo the run-on sentence... 2) Would you suggest I fly into Puerto Plata and spend time visiting their instead and then work my way to Punta Cana? What is the greater experience / trip plan as far as getting some history, culture and also some mindless relaxation? Its been 3 yrs since we took any kind of vacation... :(

Any suggestions you are willing to pass along will be greatly appreciated. I have not spent more than a few hours researching this trip but I am already head over heals in love with what DR has to offer!!