Bushbaby to spend money! iPhone GPS Golf Review w/DR courses

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
GREAT post CFA123. Do you know how soon they will be producing an iPhone system that will show us how to get round Playa Grande, Playa Dorada & Santiago? I'll be first in line to buy one if they ever come up with a GPS iPhone for golf courses! ~ Grahame.

Time to loosen up those brittle purse strings Bushbaby & put your money where your mouth (keyboard) is! I was going to debut this during our next round... but will be glad to let you keep the score on YOUR new iPhone!

3587670553_550337e7ba.jpg

3588480484_ecfb6262da.jpg

Free downloadable info for 1000's of courses worldwide, including local DR courses
3588480372_54ea8a746a.jpg

3587670963_446e8e91e9.jpg

Easily keep score for yourself and others in your group
3588480294_eb18daf0bc.jpg

3587670663_99021ab3b0.jpg

Record details of each hole including fairway hit in reg, # chips, putts, penalty strokes
3588480194_1070fa3ae8.jpg

Maintains historical data of your rounds
3587670621_499a334f4f.jpg

Historical Data can be graphed to show trends over time

3588479980_80e62cf24d.jpg

Automatically maintains handicap data.

Oh yes, and the reason you've committed to spending a small portion of your extensive cash reserves... GPS

3588479998_f1d5aa5bde.jpg

Distance from your ball to the pin, etc, etc. (no petty comments allowed about the +/-2118 foot accuracy - this screenshot was taken with GPS off)

3587670343_0c058f23cf.jpg

Oh yes, and e-mail your rounds in detail to your foursome and friends. This is the e-mail format...

3588480580_8c785be354_o.jpg

Can't wait to see you AND your new iPhone on the course!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Again young CFA ....:pirate:...... Thank you for that information. I will today go inspect the iPhone webpage for prices & location for purchase etc. The 'flyover' view for hole layout (as on the Callaway uPro system) was one aspect I was interested in having on a GPS system - maybe it IS there but I will go search further.

Price around US $500 I suspect?? ............ 'Till later ~ Grahame.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Bushbaby,
Here's a link to the Orange site with usage/data plans at top & phone prices near the bottom of the page Orange Dominicana - tarifas

As for the flyover & hole views on screen, I don't think they exist. But, I haven't been on the course with it yet.

While I think coordinates are pre-configured for some U.S. courses, I don't think it is for most DR courses. What I 'believe' needs to be done by us for courses here is on each hole using GPS we'd need to "mark" location of the tee, hazards, green (front/middle/back), etc. Then... on the next round, the GPS would tell you distance from your ball (where you're standing) to the points we've previously marked.

I believe this is the screen we'd reference for distances... with distance from where the iphone is to each of the locations for which we've set the coordinates.

3587670343_0c058f23cf.jpg

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Would THIS work on your iPhone? Iphone Golf GPS - Iphone GPS Golf Applications and Golf Course GPS Software
SEEMS interesting IF it will work & they are telling the truth about how soon they will upload Dominican courses! US $35 per annum is a small outlay for flyover facility of the DR golf courses!

One or two APPS are mentioned on this iPhone forum (which you doubtless already know about) so being much more 'iPhone' minded, you might care to see what other systems are around?

I'll go visit that iPhone webpage that you mentioned above so as to check out some things for myself!! I HAVE to find out what the moth ridden purse will stand too!! :surprised !! :ermm: ~ Grahame.:pirate:

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Something to also consider is the new iphones will be out in about a week. This will bring down the prices on used 3G devices from last year and bring even lower the old 2G devices still around.

I have read that the new iphone for 2009 will also have a magnetometer(sp?), more space available (32GB), and a higher resolution camera with better video capabilities.

So before deciding on a unit this is something to consider. Paying top dollar for the new device might be something your interested in or you also might consider to wait for the new device to be out so people can start selling their old 3G from last year to help subsidize the cost of the new device.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Would THIS work on your iPhone? Iphone Golf GPS - Iphone GPS Golf Applications and Golf Course GPS Software
SEEMS interesting IF it will work & they are telling the truth about how soon they will upload Dominican courses! US $35 per annum is a small outlay for flyover facility of the DR golf courses!

One or two APPS are mentioned on this iPhone forum (which you doubtless already know about) so being much more 'iPhone' minded, you might care to see what other systems are around?

I'll go visit that iPhone webpage that you mentioned above so as to check out some things for myself!! I HAVE to find out what the moth ridden purse will stand too!! :surprised !! :ermm: ~ Grahame.:pirate:

Yes, that should work... which one you might choose is individual preference. You might find some comparison reviews online somewhere

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Something to also consider is the new iphones will be out in about a week. This will bring down the prices on used 3G devices from last year and bring even lower the old 2G devices still around.

I have read that the new iphone for 2009 will also have a magnetometer(sp?), more space available (32GB), and a higher resolution camera with better video capabilities.

So before deciding on a unit this is something to consider. Paying top dollar for the new device might be something your interested in or you also might consider to wait for the new device to be out so people can start selling their old 3G from last year to help subsidize the cost of the new device.
The idea of REDUCED prices appeals to me Beads - I am not mega rich like some people who live in Cabarete & buy these modern contraptions just for FUN!!! :cheeky: I'll gladly wait a week or two (or 3 or 4) to get best value. Maybe a dear golfing friend presently in the US might read this thread & then could find a good store to buy from (or get one off e-Bay!!)? :pirate:

Anyway, I have to learn how, why & which plan to sign up for before investing in one of these 'Cell Phone' thing-a-mi-jigs!! I am ANCIENT & don't go for modern Tech stuff ............ unless it involves golf!! ~ Grahame.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Maybe someone who has a 3G can share how accurate the GPS system works on the island? I have only used a 2G there so far since I was not aware there were good GPS maps even available for the 3G until today from this thread and the other one.

I would not be interested in a monthly plan as I only use the Orange Pre Paid plan but this is definitely interesting if the GPS maps are in fact available as I am reading here today and the GPS receiver is accurate in the DR then it seems worthwhile to have the 3G over the 2G for its GPS capabilities.

Jan 9, 2004
The new iphone...

3GS is scheduled to debut June 19, 2009. The current 3G model w/8GB will now be priced at $99. The new 3GS (S is for speed) 16GB model is priced at $199, and the new 3GS 32GB will be priced at $199.

Apple has aggressively priced the iphone due to new competition from Palm. At these prices, and with the array of apps available, looks like Apple will maintain their dominance in the Smartphone space.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: