What do the vets there prescribe for fleas

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I got a flea problem with my cocker spaniel. I have tried Frontline, Advantix, and several others...nothing worked. My wife will be in the DR in June and I want her to go buy whatever works. Cause I know those dominicans have something that is borderline lethal and not FDA watered down. Bring me some....quick.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
interesting suggestion. Can you tell us more. I, too, have a Cocker, and I usually use Frontline, which seems to work..

HB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have 5 dogs and had a huge flea/tick problem in the first year I was here. They were even crawling up the walls to lay eggs.

In the last five years, my dogs have not had a single flea or tick, all by using frontline/Advantix/and Hartz monthly applicators. The key is consistency, and you have to give it about 2 months to work through the egg cycles. In the beginning, you might want to use it every 3 weeks, instead of 4, and use the applicator for a higher weight class of dog, e.g. if your cocker is 20 lbs then use the 25-40 lbs medication.

Also very important, don't shampoo your dogs two days before or two days after applying, and when you shampoo (twice per month), make sure it is flea/tick shampoo.

Also, make sure you get to the skin with the applicators, this can be tough with long haired dogs like cockers. You might want to consider shaving a small spot (make sure you apply on the back of the dog) so that the applicator can reach the skin.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Our vet also told us when applying to put the liquid in two to three spots between the shoulder blades rather than just one because it will absorb better.

Jan 17, 2009
I don't recall the name, but Dr. Bob gave my dog a monthly shot (something they use for horse but a smaller dosage). It works for fleas, ticks and worms. My dog had a terrible tick problem and with this shot is been gone for years now. We stopped the shots a while ago, and he gave us now a liquid to put in her food every now and then (I think it's the one that Lambada mentions above).

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
I agree, Ivermetic is the best one and cheapest as well. In the beginning you may use it every second week and later once a month and you may put it on food or give some shots.

Lindane was first produced for commercial use in the United States (U.S.) in 1950. It was used in agriculture as a spray for foliage, to treat soil and seed grains, and in baits for rodent pests. Lindane can kill a broad range of insects including worms that eat leaves, insects that live in the soil, and human and animal parasites such as fleas, ticks and lice. It was also used in treatments for scabies and mange. Besides its agricultural uses, lindane was used in forestry for wood and timber protection, and as a household insecticide. Lindane has been used in small amounts (1%) in shampoos and lotions to control head lice and scabies for humans, and as an insecticide in dog dips and shampoos. Lindane was classified as a Restricted Use Pesticide by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 1985. Since then, insecticides containing lindane can be applied only by certified applicators, who are required to use protective equipment.

Be very careful if you can find this stuff, it is no longer available in the USA or Canada.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I agree, Ivermetic is the best one and cheapest as well. In the beginning you may use it every second week and later once a month and you may put it on food or give some shots.

It is meant for stomach parasites but seems to kill most all bugs including ticks n fleas. Can be put in food or squirted directly in mouth. We use roughly 1cc per 100lbs each month. Never have had a tick or flea problem (and we have 13 dogs). Too much in one dose can be fatal so you must be somewhat careful with this drug. This is also what we give the street dogs for bugs. Works really well for dogs with skin and hair issues as well. Can be purchased at most vet shops and is very affordable since a bottle lasts forever (unless of course you too have 13 dogs).
If you buy a bottle why not give a bit each month to a nearby dominican owned or street dog to seriously improve their quality of life as well....tom

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We had a severe tick problem with our dogs, a golden retriever and a poodle. That, and they were both scratching like crazy.

We went to the vet in Santo Domingo, and she told us in no uncertain terms to AVOID using Flea/tick shampoo, and instead, told us to buy the cheapest gallons of shampoo and rinse you can find. (most flea/tick shampoos are murder on their skin)

The instruction were to bathe and rinse, then apply Frontline SPRAY, not drops, two day after the bath, and repeat this action for three weeks.

We also were told to spray the dogs thoroughly with a mix of 1/2 gal white vinegar and 1/2 gal bottled water, mixed with 1 teaspoon of boric acid, every day before lunchtime, for the same period of time.

And finally, give them a cod liver oil pill once every other day.

Both dogs now have shiny coats, don't scratch, and best, no ticks.

Your dogs are very healthy, but, how is your back, after all this?

Jun 15, 2008
i have found the best solution for that problem - it's a thin black collar (Collar Antipulgas y Garrapatas, yellow box). You just put it on the dog and he will be flea/tick free for 10 months. In veterianaria Noroestana in Santiago it costs 120 pesos. Works perfectly.