Question regarding dominican wages

tailor

Apr 11, 2009
my boyfriend is singer he earns 22,000 pesos every month singing in hotel and on his days off sings in San Cristobal in restuarants discos and other hotels in Santo Domingo where he gets 1000 pesos per hour. Compared to average wages over there is this a good or bad?

KikoPresidente

Mar 20, 2009
If this is true.. he is doing VERY well!!!
The average waiter/waitress works for 3000-4000 peso for 2 weeks plust tips.
If this is true, you earns very very very well. Should be living well.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I would say that would be excellent wages in comparison with a "standard level" Dominican Salary.

Then again, I don't have anything to compare it with really for a singer in the DR.

And there are huge extremes in salaries offered in the DR from 6000 pesos up to 100,000's a month....depends on the education, location, company...etc.

For example, some teachers make 10,000 pesos a month; some make 30,000 a month, some make 60,000.....

If he's really good and somewhat well known he *could* be making that much....

tailor

Apr 11, 2009
Yes he told me that he earns good money compared to most, i saw his his pay slip from the hotel so i know he gets this, but he doesnt keep it all for himself as he gives money to his family as most of them do, not sure how well known he is but he sings on T.V sometimes too. Thanx for reply

vinylmeister

Mar 1, 2007
my boyfriend is singer he earns 22,000 pesos every month singing in hotel and on his days off sings in San Cristobal in restuarants discos and other hotels in Santo Domingo where he gets 1000 pesos per hour. Compared to average wages over there is this a good or bad?

So by singing in a San Cristobal in one hour he makes the same as he usually gets for a day in hotel - weird and very high wage

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
1000 isn't that much for a performer. A DJ will make about the same, and I don't think any band will charge less than $6000 for about an hours worth of performance. Doesn't seem wierd or high.

Reactions: ExtremeR

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I think it is good for a non-educated Dominican. But, we paid a DJ 3000 pesos per hour for our wedding, and a band 6000 pesos per hour, so I think 1000 pesos is not out of the ordinary.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
He sings, he doesn't clean or do something that everybody could do, so 22,000 a month in various shows around the country is not a sum to be amazed about, he should be earning more. Surprisingly for most of you guys not every Dominican works for the minimum wage, which I think is the perception over here. Only those who doesn't have any special skill (no education, no talents, only their two hands) earn minimum wage here.

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
Surprisingly for most of you guys not every Dominican works for the minimum wage, which I think is the perception over here. Only those who doesn't have any special skill (no education, no talents, only their two hands) earn minimum wage here.[/QUOTE]

well that perception held by us guys i feel is a reasonable one. given most of your people live in poverty. I have heard 2 different figures with respect to poverty levels

90% in poverty 10% very wealthy
40% extreme poverty and the rest coping with monthly expenses
plus i understand the median wage to be $8000-$10000rd a month

i am open to be corrected, but we are talking about perceptions and this is mine

uptownblk

Mar 4, 2009
I've been in SD for the last days and returned to NYC today. I've been asking the same question and I was told that an average Dom makes 4000 pesos a month. Now I don't know exactly what they meant by average but the young lady who told me this works for the Govt. and has new SUV "leather seats".