How to calculate electricity bill?

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
Hola,
I'm living in La Romana and have EDEESTE as my energy supplier. This month my bill is for the 1st time 830Kwh and they have charged me the entire 830Kwh at RD$8.57.

On their website it clearly says: Edeeste it clearly says that I should pay per scale consumption such as: 0-200 kWh RD$3.12 , de 201-300 RD$4.71, de 301 a 700 RD$7.00, de 701 a 1000 RD$8.57 y de 1001 kWh+.

Now, I've called the customer service central and they have agreed with me that I should have been charged per scale. But at the commercial office they argue that anything over 700Kwh+ is charged at 8.57$!!! Who's right, the web site, the customer service center or the commercial office??? Nowhere on my bill does it say anything about 700Kwh+...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have seen the same thing, anything over 700 kw gets charged from the 1st kw at the high rate. That 1 kw over 700 is VERY EXPENSIVE.

Don SantiagoDR

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
"the progressive scale" is actually a subsidy given all electricity consumers that qualify for the subsidy by meeting the following three requirements:

1. the customer qualifies and is part of BTS1 or BTS2 tariff
  2. the peak average usage in any 15 minute period of the billing cycle should be lower than 10 kW
  3. the total usage for a billing cycle is smaller or equal to 700 kW
If any of the above listed criteria is not met, the subsidy can not be applied to any portion of the bill, all kW used by a customer will be charged at the published non-subsidized rate.

NotLurking

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The most expesnisve kw/h is 699->700...
At 700 all of your kw/h are then billed at 9.11 (a hefty increase in rates announced today.)

Screwed again.

HB

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Can you rent half of your house to someone and get a 2nd meter?? So your "tenant" pays his/her own bill?? It might worth the extra connection fee. ;)
I don't know if it it's doable or not. Is it??

The Hun

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can you rent half of your house to someone and get a 2nd meter?? So your "tenant" pays his/her own bill?? It might worth the extra connection fee. ;)
I don't know if it it's doable or not. Is it??

The Hun
It's doable...IF you can get it wired that way with an extra panel.

Feb 7, 2007
If you have two stories house, you should have no problem getting the 2nd meter. I have two. That way, legally, I keep my bill to minimum. Everything runs on the first meter but the AC which runs on the 2nd meter.

If you have one stories house, or apartment, you MIGHT be able to get the 2nd meter by claiming you have a tenant. But you are NOT entitled to 2nd meter in an apartment (in 2 stories house, yes). Your Ede will send somebody to check things out and make a report. If you are in 1-story house or APT you might need to bribe the person to give positive report that you need the 2nd meter. With 2-or-more stories house you will get it almost automatically when applied for.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is correct, if you run a bill above 700kwh you pay for the business rate for ALL kwh not just those above 700.
just out of curiosity: how did you run your bill so high?

Feb 7, 2007
it is correct, if you run a bill above 700kwh you pay for the business rate for ALL kwh not just those above 700.

An older AC makes "wonders" when the kwh consumption is concerned. I have seen an older AC (8 years??) the same size as mine that consumes in 1 day what my unit consumes in a week. And my unit is 3 yrs old already.

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
Thank you all so much for your answers and explanations, so now I know I'm screwed to pay this bill!! Thanks for the 2nd meter suggestion, I will definitely look into it.

And for curious dv8: the answer is 2 x 20 cu.ft Frigidaire freezers, 2 x 25 cu.ft Frigidaire freezers, 1 x 20 cu.ft Farco freezer (which I am going to get rid off as it uses a CRAZY amount of energy!!!). I have a small distribution cie out of my house selling hams, salamis, smoked ribs and pork chops.

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
i have just joined edenorte the woman was extremely clear when she explained;
that you ARE billed for the entire amount of electricity you use depending on your amount of useage

eg if i use 700kwatts
1-3oo = 3rd
3-500= 5rd
5-900rd = 9rd

I WILL BE CHARGED FOR EACH KILOWATT OF MY 700 USED AT 9RD.

i was was extremely specific in my questioning; that is, do you charge per kilowatt at the equivalent rate on the price sheet i.e 1-300kw are all charged at 3rd then 3-500kw are charged at 5rd etc

she said NO!!!!!!!!!!!

cabarete edenorte as of 3 days back

the peso rates/kilowatt brackets i quoted are fictitious though

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The answer is simple:

... In any other country you use regular math, in the DR you use Dominican Math!

The government won?t pay their electric bill, so they raise the rates to let the general population pay it instead. There would be no need for a rate increase if the government paid what they owed.

Don SantiagoDR

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hola,
I'm living in La Romana and have EDEESTE as my energy supplier. This month my bill is for the 1st time 830Kwh and they have charged me the entire 830Kwh at RD$8.57.

On their website it clearly says: Edeeste it clearly says that I should pay per scale consumption such as: 0-200 kWh RD$3.12 , de 201-300 RD$4.71, de 301 a 700 RD$7.00, de 701 a 1000 RD$8.57 y de 1001 kWh+.

Now, I've called the customer service central and they have agreed with me that I should have been charged per scale. But at the commercial office they argue that anything over 700Kwh+ is charged at 8.57$!!! Who's right, the web site, the customer service center or the commercial office??? Nowhere on my bill does it say anything about 700Kwh+...

http://www.sie.gov.do/archivos/EvolucionCargosTarifarios.xls

The official tariffs set by Superintendencia de electricidad, only goes to Jan 09, but shows historical data.

Interestingly, the price has been 8.57 on the top tier for 3 1/2 years, however go back 6 years and it was 3.... shot up during the Baninter crisis and so on, and strangely never decreased afterward...........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
has anyone seen the new rates listed anywhere = they dont appear to be on edenortes web site and nothing to say when they came into operation - im presuming the new rates started from the end of last months bill.....unfortunately it coincided with my batteries going haywire so we appear to have a rather large bill

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They wasted no time, the new bills being sent out contain the new rates.

When rates/costs go up, the public feels the effect immediately.
When rates/costs go down, there is always a delay in receiving the new rates.

For Example:

The stores claims they do not lower prices right away because they are selling inventory that they purchased at the higher rate.

I proved this wrong with Pola/La Sierena recently when I bought some Salami.

The cash register rang up a price higher then what was on the UPC label.

The cashier when questioned, and the supervisor told me it cost more because the price has gone up since they priced the product.

In other words, they immediately increased the price, regardless of the fact that they bought the product at a lower price.

Being the stubborn ass that I am, I PAID THE LOWER PRICE MARKED ON THE LABEL.

They try to get you coming and going...........

Don - SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In the News:

has anyone seen the new rates listed anywhere = they dont appear to be on edenortes web site and nothing to say when they came into operation - im presuming the new rates started from the end of last months bill.....unfortunately it coincided with my batteries going haywire so we appear to have a rather large bill

The scaled rate increases by consumption for households is:
0-200 kws: From RD$3.12 to RD$3.50 or 12.17%;
201-300 kws: From RD$4.71 to RD$5.50 or 16.77%;
301-700kw: From RD$7 to RD$8.57 or 22.4%;
700kw+: From RD$8.57 to RD$8.76 or 2.21%
Take note that households consuming more than 700kws are billed entirely at the RD$8.76 rate.

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
So far so good!!!

Per suggested here in this post, my novio and I spoke with an Edeeste contractor "off the record" and he told us exactly what we needed to do:
1- go to office, ask for an "annexo" and then give him a copy
2- pay RD$500 to the guy that would come the next day from Edeeste saying but so&so said u would have something for me
3- get 2nd meter installed and pay the "off the record" guy and voil?, one way to save money on energy bill!!!

Still getting used to this retribution for all system (only been here 10 months) but slowly realizing that this is THE way to get things done fast!!!:cheeky: