drinking water for dogs

jessilin

May 6, 2009
Is the water safe for dogs to drink out of the tap? Or do I need to get bottled water for my dog?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
i'm not sure about out of the tap, but i've seen quite a few dogs that seem to survive here on water out of the toilet.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My guys were brought up on tap water but if they hadn't been born here, I wouldn't have taken the risk...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It probably depends where your tap water comes from. You can have it tested.

My dogs drink from the pool, no matter how much tap water or bottled water I put out for them. They have been doing this for 7 years and they are fine.

Armina

Aug 12, 2003
I have always given my dog tap water and she has been fine with it, so was the dog I had before her. I do have a well and so the water might be purer.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
As others have mentioned it all depends on if your dog was raised here. Many dogs on my street drink from the dirty puddles in the street and have no problems and are healthy. But considering that bottled water is so cheap then why not give your "best friend" the extra luxury of purer water?

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
tap water

i brought my dog from canada at the age of 4, he drinks either tap water or pool water and has not had any issues with it at all. Our 4 month old puppy also drinks tap water with not problems to date

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
errrrrrrrr dogs eat poo poo and dead animals so a bit of tap water wont do any harm surely- of course they will need heart worm pills etc

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
16+ years of doggie experience here, 5 dogs in total, one brought from UK the others indigenous. All on tap water. Salsa, one of the indigenous dogs, lived until 2 weeks short of her 14th. birthday. I don't think it does them any harm.

jessilin

May 6, 2009
Thanks so much everyone. I have a pure breed German Shepherd and I am coming from the US. He has an extremely sensitive stomach and can't have anything other than his food and certain treats. I was reading the the tap water is unsafe for humans to drink so I was just wondering if it was safe for animals that are also not used to the water there. Thanks again for all the replies!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Thanks so much everyone. I have a pure breed German Shepherd and I am coming from the US. He has an extremely sensitive stomach and can't have anything other than his food and certain treats. I was reading the the tap water is unsafe for humans to drink so I was just wondering if it was safe for animals that are also not used to the water there. Thanks again for all the replies!!

I use one of the empty 5 gallon water bottles fill it with tap water but add a few drops of water purifyer, cheaper and less hassle than buying the good stuff but kills a few of the horribles that may lurk in it. Good comprimise?

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Where I live the five gallon bottelons of water cost 40 pesos. That's what I give them.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think it is cruel and unusual punishment not to give the dog Evian, imported specially for the purpose.
My dog's butler even drinks it and he seems quite perky.

Jan 17, 2009
German Shepherd

I have a white Shepherd that I brought from home (US) when she was about 5 years old. She never had a health problem there. A few months after being in the DR, she developed all sorts of skin problems. Vet says that's because of different allergens in the environment. I used to give her bottled water but it was impossible to keep her from drinking from paddles of water, so I gave up and she's been on tap water. I don't know if it is the water or what, but each year she develops a new skin problem. She's been on prednisone all along but still the same.

If I were you, with a dog that already has a sensitive stomach, I would keep it on bottled water or boiled tap water. Bottle water is much cheaper than constant visits to the vet and daily medicines.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
It's a dog, it's going to drink from whatever water source it finds. It's better to give it tap water so that it will adjust to the different bacteria here, otherwise if it is only on bottled water andgoes to a puddle, it could get sick, if it's on tapwater it will develope some immunities.