Vaccine for a baby

miozio

May 23, 2009
Our baby-daughter is only 4 month old now and she was vaccined once with DTP at the age of 3 months in Russia where we still are. We would be glad to come to Dominicana now but the pediatritians refuse to let us go before they give us the 2nd and 3rd DTP vaccination and that is still 2,5 months to wait. DTP and DTaP vaccines are a shot of medicine that help protect your child from the diseases diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. Every Dominican pediatritian should know what it is as every child in the world needs that vaccination.

I was wondering if there is anybody on this forum who knows what to do and can advise us on this matter. Can we continue to have our daughter vaccined with DTP in Dominican Republic? We were also immuned against Hepatitis B at the same time so that one is also important...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
the shot that is used here is the PENTA, a UN supported vaccine containing 5 medicines. I know the DTP is covered in it, but I can't tell you what the other 2 are. it's a free vaccine.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Oh thank you for the info, i know that one, usually called "Infantrix Penta" It is a vaccine used to prevent five diseases, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B and poliomyelitis (polio) Those are the vaccines we need!

How hard do you think it would be for us to continue with the vaccines if we do not have the residence yet?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Without knowing your situation, I would think waiting 2.5 more months is not that big of a deal if you are taking your child's health into account.

Pertussis can be fatal. Is it not possible to wait until her immunizations are up to date and in effect before you leave Russia?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it's the boosters for the shot that she is missing. i may have misunderstood, but the concern was probably that the shot wasn't available here. it is, and if you have the record of immunization, they'll continue the shot without problem here. and like i said, it's free in public clinics.

Reactions: NotLurking

miozio

May 23, 2009
it's the boosters for the shot that she is missing. i may have misunderstood, but the concern was probably that the shot wasn't available here. it is, and if you have the record of immunization, they'll continue the shot without problem here. and like i said, it's free in public clinics.
Yes, the first shot was done on the 5th of May. We have the record that we will have to translate into Spanish, i presume, in the Russian consulate in Santo Domingo. There will be other immunizations untill the age of ten so there is no use waiting here in Russia if we had planned to move. The only thing is finding a good clinic in Dominicana, a private one with a good personnel.
Anybody had experience or knows a good pediatritian in Sosua Puerto Plata region?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I do...

Dr. Albaney (check spelling) in Bournigal was very very good with both my kids (aged 3 and 2). His English is quite good too so there is less room for mistakes!

There are some diseases here that they don't vaccinate against in Europe and vice versa so you need to get started quite quickly.

Get the family into a private health insurance plan as soon as you can too. There are many to choose from.

If you want his details post again and by then I'll have his phone number.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Yes please, i'd appreciate it. How good/safe do you think is the Dominican healthcare for kids? My wife and i are still somewhat skeptical after reading multiple threads here at DR1...

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Here goes ...

Dr. Albaney's clinic (usually after 4.00pm is good) 809 586 6859.

His care and consideration for my little boy when he developed complications after his birth showed to me a man with compassion and conviction. He stayed long after others would have slipped off into the night. To this day I'm not convinced that my boy would have lived past his first few hours were it not for the care he received.

And then there's the time more recently when at less than two years old Harvey contracted Dengue. An incorrect diagnosis by a local "clinic" nearly cost him his life and again, while others chose to make excuses and even threaten us, this kind man came through and patiently cared for him and put him back onto the road to recovery.

So there you are. Is the service here good? In my case YES. But you must show an interest. The Internet is now a superb source of information so get clued up beforehand and then you can ask all the right questions - Doctors here like that.

I understand that choice of doctor is a very tricky subject and what works for one person doesn't always work for the other. Eventually you have to go with gut instinct.

Good luck!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Medical service in the DR is good at the private clinics in the bigger cities. Vaccinations are routine here. You should not have difficulty in finding a pediatrician who speaks English. Vaccines are quite universal. Don't see any problem with you coming now and getting the boosters in the DR.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Wrong.

You might not be able to get boosters for some of the courses they are on because they might not be considered necessary in the DR. My kids had to have a course of vaccinations in the UK tied into a lengthy stay there because we knew it might be necessary in the future, and that particular illness (I want to say meningitis but I'm guessing) doesn't officially exist here. You should check BEFORE travelling.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
May I suggest you call Dr. Ronni Baez at 809 541-3857 (from 4 to 7pm Dominican time), or 809 541-1400 ext 280. Or email him at ronnibaez461@gmail.com
He works at the Clinica Corominas Pepin in Santo Domingo. Was the pediatrician of my sons, and is fluent in English. He can tell you what would be required. He can also give you the equivalent shots here.

But first, of course, try getting the doctor recommended above who works in Puerto Plata. Santo Domingo is a 4 hour drive away, so you want to have your pediatrician in Puerto Plata.

Last edited:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
the meningitis vaccine is common here, however, it's not offered at the free, public immunization points. it costs about 100 dollars. we've found most of the vaccines that we've looked for, even if the pharmacy had to special order it.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I am so glad everyone responded to my questions, great community you have there in Dominicana, i am sure we will be safe to come whenever we deside and find help and advice for our baby. Thank you for the numbers, i will call them to get a detailed view of the matter...
Dimitri