One week in the DR - exceeding expectations!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
My partner and I have been in the DR now for about a week. We've relocated from Sint Maarten and before that we were in Trinidad. We had very realistic expectations and having lived in the Caribbean for about 4 years already we were probably better prepared than most. For the most part we have been thrilled with how things have gone. Our real estate agent took care of getting the electricity, internet, and satellite tv all hooked up so when we got here everything was ready. The property manager at our complex has been very helpful and prompt to deal with any issues that have arisen. We've even befriended the handyman who has been exceptionally helpful, even acting as a translator for us. (Yes we know to be careful and not be too familiar with him. He has never once asked for anything from us even refusing when we offered.)

I just wanted to give some positive feedback as I do read a lot of negative things about the DR. I think it's all about having reasonable expectations and putting out positive energy. And most of all remembering that you aren't in your home country, you're in someone else's and need to behave appropriately.

The only negative so far has been dealing with customs getting our belongings into the country. They've decided we owe them 120,000 pesos!!! A good third of that is for our clothing. I had no idea they would demand so much for clothes (we have a lot of clothes but it's just cheap stuff: t-shirts, jeans, etc). I do have a home theater system so I know that would get taxed rather high. But was really surprised about the clothing. The operations manager at the cargo company at the airport where the goods were shipped has told me I need to meet with the customs manager and try to convince them to reduce the amount of tax since this is all used personal effects. (I didn't have enough money on hand to pay them so the goods are still sitting in secure storage at the airport.) I'm planning on going next week to pay the "ransom" but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Is it possible to barter down the taxes? I understand probably anything can be done in the country but I'm trying to do things as legitimately and legally as possible.

So, to sum up... So Far, So Good!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
secure?? hahahahaha. good luck.
AZB

Oh ye of little faith! LOL

Yes I know there is a chance it's going to get pilfered but I've got not other options at this point.

Like I said, it's all about having the right expectations. I knew what I was getting into coming to the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
good to have an attitude like this. i welcome you to this island and wish you success and a happy lifestyle.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You should have investigated the taxes exemption for moving here and getting residency. It is probably too late now. Nonetheless, welcome.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You should have investigated the taxes exemption for moving here and getting residency. It is probably too late now. Nonetheless, welcome.

I knew there would be an exemption if I were a resident but the timing was such that I wasn't going to be able to get residency before moving here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I just wanted to give some positive feedback as I do read a lot of negative things about the DR. I think it's all about having reasonable expectations and putting out positive energy. And most of all remembering that you aren't in your home country, you're in someone else's and need to behave appropriately.

Yes :) !! Welcome to the DR.

On your clothes issue, a temporary ban was brought in a couple of months ago on the importation of used clothing for sale. I know this has nothing whatsoever to do with you bringing in your personal clothing which is not for sale, but if there is a lot of it, someone at Customs might be getting confused. Maybe it would help to show awareness about the ban & to reinforce the fact that you will be wearing all this stuff & not selling it? You can read more about it here:
Econom?a & Negocios - Ropa usada afecta a textileros locales

Aduanas construir? panader?a para dar empleos

Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I feel for your situation. I moved to the D.R. a year ago and immediately applied and received my cedulla and temporary residence card. I have a full 20' container waiting.
I will get my permanent in 3 months. Then I will ship. You can have 10 different custom agents and get 10 different quotes. I am sure you can work something out. MONEY TALKS HERE, if you know what I mean. Take a local who is a friend to re-negotiate. You have nothing to lose. Good Luck and Welcome to the D.R.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for the info Lambada. I'll be speaking with the customs administrator that's in charge of all customs at Las Americas on Monday morning to plead my case. I don't have high hopes but maybe she'll knock a few pesos off. I've already met with her briefly last Saturday in an attempt to get them to expedite my case because I was coming from Bavaro but she couldn't care less.

The gentleman at the warehouse facility has suggested I try talking to the U.S. Consulate but my gut feeling is that they wouldn't give me the time of day. I really don't think they would care much about my issues with customs duties. He also suggested I try writing a letter explaining why I'm moving to the DR. I guess this would be perceived as further proof/explanation that these are truly personal items that I'm bringing here for my own use.

Ultimately I'm prepared to just give them the damn money and move on. I'm tired of not having my stuff and don't like the idea of it sitting in the warehouse. I know I'm not supposed to trust anybody but I've had a very good relationship so far with the VP of Operations at Caribe Trans where my stuff is being stored. He's waving all of the storage fees that would have normally been assessed.

waytogo, I did take a local with me last time and will be taking one again. I know that when in Rome your supposed to do what the Roman's do but I just am not comfortable with it. I'll be meeting the woman in charge of the entire customs operation at the airport on Monday. I'm just supposed to offer her a bribe? That's seems just so sleazy to me.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
waytogo, I did take a local with me last time and will be taking one again. I know that when in Rome your supposed to do what the Roman's do but I just am not comfortable with it. I'll be meeting the woman in charge of the entire customs operation at the airport on Monday. I'm just supposed to offer her a bribe? That's seems just so sleazy to me.

I wouldn't recommend that - there is a certainb protocal involved you know - use an agent instead. If you need one let me know.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
And the charges?

I hate to break it to you but I would bet quite a lot of money that you are being charged an insane daily rate for use of the "secure" storage.

Seen it before - prepare for "The Shaft"

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I wouldn't recommend that - there is a certainb protocal involved you know - use an agent instead. If you need one let me know.

Thanks but no thanks. It's probably just proof that I'll continue to get taken advantage of here in the DR, but it goes against the very core of my being to take part in something like that. I'll just pay the tax and move on....

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a more reasonable way to plead my case and get them to reduce the tax.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks but no thanks. It's probably just proof that I'll continue to get taken advantage of here in the DR, but it goes against the very core of my being to take part in something like that. I'll just pay the tax and move on....

I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a more reasonable way to plead my case and get them to reduce the tax.

I applaud your high standards. However, I'm Roman Catholic and would not have any problem doing this. Why? Simply put "Give to Cesaer what is Cesars..." You should realize this is a fairly corrupt country per Western standards and sometimes this is just the way business is done here.

However, if you feel that it is better to pay everything that they are telling you, you should at least know that all of the money you sent to the public coffers will be transfered to an overly paid (even by US standards in dollars!!) incompetent public official, probably so that he can have another vacation in Disneyworld and a down payment on his new jipeta del a?o!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I hate to break it to you but I would bet quite a lot of money that you are being charged an insane daily rate for use of the "secure" storage.

Seen it before - prepare for "The Shaft"

That doesn't make much sense really. I'm not paying him anything. I'm paying a tax to the customs people. What sense would it make for the customs people to give a kick-back to him for holding my stuff in storage. He's not doing them any kind of favor.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That doesn't make much sense really. I'm not paying him anything. I'm paying a tax to the customs people. What sense would it make for the customs people to give a kick-back to him for holding my stuff in storage. He's not doing them any kind of favor.

tax?????? see my previous post!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
tax?????? see my previous post!

I'm not trying to get into a ****ing match but please explain to me what the nature of the relationship between the independent cargo warehouse and the customs people would be that would warrant the customs people giving kick-back money to the cargo warehouse operator? I don't see why. I can understand if the customs people want to charge me too much money... but they should just keep it themselves. Why should they give the cargo warehouse guy money?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not trying to get into a ****ing match but please explain to me what the nature of the relationship between the independent cargo warehouse and the customs people would be that would warrant the customs people giving kick-back money to the cargo warehouse operator? I don't see why. I can understand if the customs people want to charge me too much money... but they should just keep it themselves. Why should they give the cargo warehouse guy money?

I can't speak for the cargo wharehouse person, just for negotiating a discount for the taxes to Aduanas, that is all.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Let me guess .....

Your stuff will be in a "special" bonded area because until you pay in full the taxes that you owe the goods do not clear customs. I hope I'm wrong - It's just after several years here you tend to learn how to spot the snowball when it's still at the top of the hill rather than the full-on avalanche that occassionally catches you out.

Welcome friend - and best of luck!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Your stuff will be in a "special" bonded area because until you pay in full the taxes that you owe the goods do not clear customs. I hope I'm wrong - It's just after several years here you tend to learn how to spot the snowball when it's still at the top of the hill rather than the full-on avalanche that occassionally catches you out.

Welcome friend - and best of luck!

Thanks! And yes, I know exactly were the goods are being stored.