Getting around in Santo Domingo

alaska1986

Hello we are a family (me 23, mom 44 brother 17) traveling to Santo Domingo via Metro Tours from Puerto Plata and we wanted to see if anyone could provide the location of the bus station/hub in Santo Domingo. Also we looked at staying two nights in the Melia Santo Domingo Hotel (good price and good location) and we were wondering whether it is possible to visit the zona colonial, mercados, plaza de la cultura, barra payan, faro a colon, los tres ojos by walking (obviously not all in the same day). I've looked up the distances with google earth (not the most reliable method) but wanted to ask from people who actually knew whether or not it is feasible for a family that doesn't mind walking a couple miles a day.

Thanks in advance

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hello we are a family (me 23, mom 44 brother 17) traveling to Santo Domingo via Metro Tours from Puerto Plata and we wanted to see if anyone could provide the location of the bus station/hub in Santo Domingo. Also we looked at staying two nights in the Melia Santo Domingo Hotel (good price and good location) and we were wondering whether it is possible to visit the zona colonial, mercados, plaza de la cultura, barra payan, faro a colon, los tres ojos by walking (obviously not all in the same day). I've looked up the distances with google earth (not the most reliable method) but wanted to ask from people who actually knew whether or not it is feasible for a family that doesn't mind walking a couple miles a day.

Thanks in advance

Metro have a hub at the back of Plaza Central, on Churchill. Type "Metro Bus Station, Santo Domingo" into maps.google.com and will show you.

Regarding walking, you'd be brave to do it. The weather outside is punishing, even for just a short walk, and Faro a Colon and Los Tres Ojos are quite some walk, most people here would never dream of it. Also, walking between these areas can be dangerous, especially if you don't know where you're going.

Given the fact there's 3 of you, taxis CAN be cheap, but beware, Gringo Tax can apply... A short journey shouldn't be running you more than a few hundred pesos at most. Think last time I paid about 150 but I don't use taxis a lot, only when the car is in the shop.

When my Parents were here for my wedding last year they stayed at the Jaragua on the Malecon, and walked to the colonial zone once. They walk a lot, and said they'd never do it again. Partly because it burned them out, and partly because they couldn't take two footsteps without being surrounded by children begging.

Enjoy your time here in SD ;-)

Steve

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Steve is correct. Your best bet is to take a cab to the Colonial Zone. Apolo Taxi 809.537.0000, they always tell you they'll be there in 3 minutes...usually less than 10. RD150-RD200 is a fair fare for the area...I found dropping an extra RD20-RD50 as a propina (and getting the driver's number) was good for me.

Try calling Jesus "Chino", his cell 809.815.0512. Last I saw him, he worked the corner of Conde y Hostos in front of Hotel Mercure. He had a nice van with COLD AC...super nice guy, real dependable and will schedule with you for pick-ups and drop offs. He charged a little more, but is absolutely worth it.

If you get dropped off at La Primera Inglesa, you can walk (albeit HOT) to La Fuerza Ozama, La Plaza Hispana and the surrounding sights. It's about a mile or so to the opposite end of Conde and El Parque de Indepencia....but there's plenty of places to stop and sit with a "cold one" along the way as well....

Buy some candy if you want to have something for the kids, give them a couple of pieces and move on...I prefer to befriend them, rather than deny them.......

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
From one Alaskan to possibly another(thinking you might be from there via your user name), the prior posts were very fair and provided you with great info but do not take the "it can be dangerous" and having to deal with the children begging quotes to heart.

At 6'5'' and white as a ghost, I stick out like a sore thumb in SD but have walked from barrio to barrio and never feared for my safety. Like any big city, SD has its downsides, but its all subjective I suppose. Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Instead of candy, try grabbing a bunch of pens and small note pads if you can for the kids, much more useful at the end of the day.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
From one Alaskan to possibly another(thinking you might be from there via your user name), the prior posts were very fair and provided you with great info but do not take the "it can be dangerous" and having to deal with the children begging quotes to heart.

At 6'5'' and white as a ghost, I stick out like a sore thumb in SD but have walked from barrio to barrio and never feared for my safety. Like any big city, SD has its downsides, but its all subjective I suppose. Keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Instead of candy, try grabbing a bunch of pens and small note pads if you can for the kids, much more useful at the end of the day.

Here are the average monthly wages in USD$ of people in Los Tres Ojos
Less than $36 7.5%
Between $36 and $72 9%
Between $72 and $91 26.5%
$91-$130 31%
$130-183 14%
$183-316 14%
$316-$472 6%
More than $472 7%

And Faro a Colon
Less than $36 11.5%
Between $36 and $72 15%
Between $72 and $91 29.5%
$91-$130 28%
$130-183 13%
$183-316 11.5%
$316-$472 3%
More than $472 3%

Say you have $130 in your wallet..... 74% of the working people in Tres Ojos won't make that in a month, 84% in Faro a Colon. Or actually... how much is your cellphone worth.....and the rest of the family's all at once with the camera too...........

Maybe I'm a snob, but nobody I know (and as yet I don't know really know any ex-pats, just Dominicans) would go wandering off in these areas on the East of the River, and certainly not recommend it others from overseas who don't know the city. The sights themselves, fine, walking to them, another thing altogether. Be careful, for God's sake.

The kids are harmless yes, make a friend and make it obvious cash bonus' won't be coming and they're likely to go elsewhere. Some candy or something as suggested would work...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
SteveS, where are those figures from? I'm not challenging them, just wondered about the source.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
SteveS, where are those figures from? I'm not challenging them, just wondered about the source.

Office of national statistics.

If you want the file I can email it to you.. I have a few others in the same vein also. Something I've had to be working on.

Steve

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is it from Dominicana en cifras 2008? I have that document but was using it for another area of research so didn't see that detail.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Steve is correct. Your best bet is to take a cab ......

Both Steve S and Pryatt offer good advice. I am a Gringo. I live within walking distance of Los Tres Ojos. Would I ever walk there? Probably not.

Rent a car or take a cab.

I am not saying flat out that it is dangerous, only that it can be. On top of that, you will find walking in the heat and humidity very uncomfortable this time of year.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The only area where getting around on foot is a practical option is the Colonial Zone. Everywhere else the distances are too great, the heat too intense, and security is a concern.

Once you get to places like the Botanical Gardens, Plaza de la Cultura or Parque Mirador Sur you can walk around reasonably safely, but in order to get there you would need to use a taxi.