tarantulas

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
I was in Santiago last week visiting the in-laws and saw this very large spider. I am not kidding it was the size of a hand. Was this a tarantula? What is best product to purchase and where, in order to spray ones house. I want to make sure this house is spider free before I return there again.

Would'nt you know it, it had to show up in my bedroom! Heck... maybe it was planted there. LOL!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was in Santiago last week visiting the in-laws and saw this very large spider. I am not kidding it was the size of a hand. Was this a tarantula? What is best product to purchase and where, in order to spray ones house. I want to make sure this house is spider free before I return there again.

Would'nt you know it, it had to show up in my bedroom! Heck... maybe it was planted there. LOL!

No Worries Mate!

We call large Spiders, Pets in the Tropics !

It's the little spiders that you have to worry about, not that they will kill you but more importantly they are " Flesh Eating Spiders " , but once again , no worries.....

I have survived the bite of the most... Fear Some Spider of them all ....

The Black Widow

Last edited:

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009

Was it raining or about to rain? Tarantulas live in holes in the ground in areas where there is little human traffic, like anywhere in the campo but even large patios in the city in places they don't get disturbed. They seek dry places when it rains, and if the closest place is a house they'll make themselves at home for a while.

They won't harm you unless you provoke them. But if you are bent in not seeing another one in the house, you can get an exterminator to spray for about RD $300. That will take care of roaches too, which scare me more than the tarantulas. You can keep a can of Baygon (Raid) nearby, but they will take a good 30 min. to die! The more humane campesino method would be to keep a machete under the bed, whip it out and give the cacata a good machetazo, clean it up the next morning. :rambo:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Minerva, I love that post - the imagery is just great :). I have to ask if you're in a partnership - I can just see the other half's face as you leap out of bed, blood curdling yowl, reach for your machete and ka-POWWW. A lady not to be trifled with........;)

I tend not to kill cockroaches & thus sometimes get surprised when the occasional one comes out at night & crawls over my foot while I'm at my desk.

Sadams, I've only seen 2 tarantulas in 16+ years. And I've been told they're harmless. I believe it because in UK there was a collection in a place I visited & the owner got one out & put it on my hand and.......nothing happened.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Sadams,

I just returned home from a 2 month stay in puerto plata and during that time we came across 3 of those large tarantula like spiders.

They were large, furry and moved at super speeds.

The first one was under the bed and took off for the door...the 2nd found its way in through the window over the shower and the 3rd was living behind a wooden shelf over the kitchen sink.

I have never been so terrified in my life but I have been told they are harmless as long as they move quickly!

I was also told they like wood....any truth to that?

Sangria

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I didnt think tarantulas moved quick...Ive seen a few but they have always been creeping round slowly and stop to be picked up and removed over the fence.

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
Was it raining or about to rain? Tarantulas live in holes in the ground in areas where there is little human traffic, like anywhere in the campo but even large patios in the city in places they don't get disturbed. They seek dry places when it rains, and if the closest place is a house they'll make themselves at home for a while.

They won't harm you unless you provoke them. But if you are bent in not seeing another one in the house, you can get an exterminator to spray for about RD $300. That will take care of roaches too, which scare me more than the tarantulas. You can keep a can of Baygon (Raid) nearby, but they will take a good 30 min. to die! The more humane campesino method would be to keep a machete under the bed, whip it out and give the cacata a good machetazo, clean it up the next morning. :rambo:

Good one! No it was not raining. My husband said he just came to taste the Americana, wanted a change in his diet. That made me feel real safe. I think I will go with the machetee method (god forbid anything in my way besides the spider)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
spiders are good, they eat cucarachas. cucarachas can go inside your ear and stay there since they cannot walk backwards (happened to my friend, albeit in colombia, she had to go to ER to have it removed).
so cherish cacata, they are too big to get inside any orifice.
well, unless the orifice is exceptionally big. :cheeky:

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
this one moved quickly also

Sangria,
This one was also very fast. I was surprised a spider that large could move so quickly!

Sadams,

I just returned home from a 2 month stay in puerto plata and during that time we came across 3 of those large tarantula like spiders.

They were large, furry and moved at super speeds.

The first one was under the bed and took off for the door...the 2nd found its way in through the window over the shower and the 3rd was living behind a wooden shelf over the kitchen sink.

I have never been so terrified in my life but I have been told they are harmless as long as they move quickly!

I was also told they like wood....any truth to that?

Sangria

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please, while there has been some humor and good ideas on this thread, do not kill spiders.

You can sort of push them away with a newspaper or a broom. Like it has been posted, the eat vermin that you really do not want in your house.

And I do agree, it is the little ones that can give you a nasty bite...brown recluses...but unless you like to stick your hand down dark holes under wood piles, I dont think you ever really see one.

Tarantulas/Cacatas prefer quiet areas, and if there is construction near by, they are probably seeking peace in your house..

Don't kill them, just shoo them out the door...

Large plastic wastepaper basket, sheet of cardboard. Place basket over spider, slip cardboard under basket, invert, go outside, un-cover, be happy.

HB

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
probably one of those large house spiders, move like a bat outta he**, but you won't see a trantula during the day time as they are nocturnal and usually don't reside in houses....i had a couple of those house spiders in my place and they are hard to shoo away cause they move so fast.....on another note a trantula can jump about 6ft in the air if provoked

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I thought tarantulas fired poisonous hairs at people when disturbed -so you should not put them near your face.
I also heard that if you were to try and batter one with a broom, that they move fast enough to climb the broom before you could say 'little miss Muffet'.

I got bitten by a brown recluse (they tell me) and had a very painful time getting rid of the infection. Thoroughly nasty business - in fact I cried like a baby.

Overall, spiders are your friend.
They eat stuff that will make you sick.
Be nice to spiders - do not kill them - relocate them to the outside areas of (someone else's) property.
Or even better, if you do kill a tarantula, sell it to the guys on the beach who will but it in a display box and sell it to a tourist, who will then have it confiscated at customs when they return home.

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
can I spray something

Isn't there something a person can buy to spray the house and keep these and all other kitters from entering? I spray my house in the States with Ortho spray for spiders and I never see one. I know they are suppose to eat other things but, I am just terrified, small, big it doesn't matter. I hate them.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I've had 3 in my house so far in the year I've lived here... well I say 3, but I have a sneaky feeling the same fella just came back three times even though we took him about a half mile down the road hoping he'd choose a different house the next time he needed shelter. I guess ours suited him best! Every time we found him he was sitting peacefully in the dark, but did move quite quickly once we tried to shoo him out. I can't remember if it was raining any of those times or not... but either way I think it was probably more to do with the dogs scaring him out of 'their backyard' and into the house for his own safety.

...Much to my delight, I haven't seen him back in months now. Touch wood! :)

Aug 21, 2007
We had a thread about this last year....maybe in early December. I had tarantulas (yes, Lambada, I can now spell it correctly.....) in my house on several occasions and I was freaked out!!!

A suggestion given to me was to put weather stripping at the bottom of my doors. After much searching, I was able to locate a couple of pieces of weather stripping locally, but I have many doors. Fortunately, a fellow dr1'er brought some down for me from the U.S.

Knock on wood, ever since the weather stripping has been on my doors, I haven't seen large critters of any kind. It also eliminates those insects (or their wings) that you have all over your floor after a rain.......and, overall, your floor stays cleaner.

I am not in the business, but I highly recommend weather stripping for critter control in the DR!!

Lindsey