Fresh water fishing spots.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I searched and found some pretty old threads, so I thought I'd start a new one.

Never went fishing once in the DR, as none of my buddies like to fish - or have ever fished for that matter. but would like to next time I'm back. As far as deepsea and ocean fishing in general, theres lots of info. I would like to know more about freshwater.

After someone posted that they sell "trout" or "biahaca"(not sure this is trout) i did a search, and found out that there are Rainbow in some lakes, bass in others, and a whole bunch of other species I'm not familliar with.

Freshwater fish of Dominican Republic

Does anyone fish the rivers or lakes? What do you catch? What are some good spots? Places around Santo Domingo would be good (not ouzama), but as well any other places on the island that would be good. I'm looking more for sport than for eating, but would consider preparing a nice big one.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
El_Uruguayo,
I have posed that question to locals many times.
"Where is there any good freshwater fishing?"
I have yet to find an answer.
At the moment I am not in the DR but will return in December for 4 months and this time I am determined to find an answer.
When and if I do I will post it.
In the meantime if you find an answer please let me know.
I'm on the north coast Puerto Plata area.
Mack.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a BASS chapter in the DR. I know a guy in it, and he fishes the reservoirs for large and smallmouth bass.

He says the lakes have been stocked. Not as much as a NA reservoir, but they have fish.

Dominicans prefer spearing/gigging or netting fish.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I will definately look into the Chapter. I turned down an offer once to fishing in a river, as I had been told that the fish were small. Further research indicates that there might be some good fishing - as there are several introduced species and such. If I can get a buddy or 2 to go with me, I'll report back. Till then all info is appreciated.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
small fish don't stand a chance............

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PrmiJCnSn8M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PrmiJCnSn8M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sacandomelao: VIDEO: Un "tro" de gente pescando en el R?oCom de Santiago

I'm going to try Presa De Taveras and some other spots this summer.<p>

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My Dominican husband is an avid fisherman. We live in Canada now but when I was living with him in the DR, I went with him a few times. We went to various rivers around the North Coast. He did not use a fishing rod though.... mostly jigging with a line. He used avocado and shrimp to bait the fish. We never caught anything gigantic but big enough to eat. If you get some locals to take you to some inland rivers near Jarabacoa (sp?), Jamao, etc. the water is cleaner and colder and the fish are bigger. I have no idea what species they were. My husband goes fishing now in Canada and I get frustrated watching him because he has no patience for fishing here where we use rods and lures and he changes lures like ever three casts if he is not catching something because he was quite successful in the DR in usually getting a few fish every time we went or at least lots of bites. Of course freshwater fishing in Canada is better (probably some of the best in the world) but he needs to learn how to catch the fish here. Good luck. If you find locals that fish (likely in the campo), I am sure they would be happy to show you some spots for a few hundred pesos.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have seen local boy throw a home-made net into presa de taveras and catch more then 20 fishes in one shot alone. I have no idea what fish it was but the dam seem to be loaded with fishes. Presa de traveras is in sabana iglesia (santiago provence).
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i have seen local boy throw a home-made net into presa de taveras and catch more then 20 fishes in one shot alone. I have no idea what fish it was but the dam seem to be loaded with fishes. Presa de traveras is in sabana iglesia (santiago provence).
AZB
The big fish are mostly carp, and Dominicans eat them.

There are largemouth and smallmouth bass in the various lakes. They were stocked. I doubt you can net or gig them. You still have to hunt them the old fashioned way.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
One site mentioned peacock bass were introduced, supposed to be a good fight. And Rainbow trout at Valle Nuevo at the Cordillera Central - hard to get to but, might be worth a try. I'll put my money where my mouth is in a few months, photos, reports ect.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
Hello All,

Well if you want some good fish....there is a river over flowing just down the River Road a half mile from me.

Only thing is you'll have to come here, to get your feast of about the best in the world.....well Winnipeg Manitoba,lol

Your more than welcome to come fishing, I'd love to take you to a few places to try your hand at it. I think you'd be eating the days" catch of the day "for your dinner.

Enjoy Judy

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I'd hit up Winterpeg for fishing. Trouble is, the flight is more expensive than it is to the DR - and the weather is far better there too!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I am not sure what kind of fish those guys in the video were catching. It looked small like a sunfish but the striped coloration did not look familiar. Does anyone know the species?

The rivers in Jarabacoa where I went rafting 2 years ago looked good for some kind of fish but everyone I asked said all the fish got washed away in the last big storm.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
There is dam just over Sabana Iglesia (SW of Santiago), holding a large body or water with a quite intricate shape. I forgot the name of it. Well worth visiting.

Google Earth coordinates: 19?18'35.36"N, 70?45'44.62"W (copy and paste into the "Fly to" window)

I've seen people fish there with rods and nets and bringing in a good mess of trout.

... J-D.