Yeah, right!!! No freakin' way!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is basically a rant about the condition of the Gregorio Luper?n Tourist Highway.

As the reigning Old Curmudgeon of this board, allow me to say that in nearly five decades, i have never, ever seen that road is such horrible shape.

Lots of equipment rusting away near the entrance to Pedro Garcia, but not more than a few instances of care free driving. Of course if you don't give a schitt about your car's suspension, you can sort of "flow" over those nasty patches...but You'll be sorry later.

I decided to go back to Santiago the long way through POP and the tunnel. Not a horror ride, but there are still too many potholes and they have yet to fix that nasty spot up towards the hill before Imbert. Much nicer ride than the oxymoron "tourist highway" ....

I did notice that there is a group called Yasika Adventure or something similar...the take tourists for rides inthe tree tops...Lots of Land Rovers,
like they were in the boonies...ahaha....of course for tourists that is wilderness. Good for them...

I also noticed that the businesses along the road were dead or dying, and some were buried...no traffic...how cold there be???

So, go through Jamao or the Tunnel but NOT the "tourista" (pun intended) highway

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
HB,
It is too bad as that is the way we used to like to go for our trips "over the hill" Last time we took it (a month ago) glad we had the truck and not the car. Too bad we won't use it again and i feel for all the stores, food shacks, and fruit stands that will no longer see traffic flowing by. It is also now 20-30 min longer to get into Santiago.
The funniest thing is that two years ago the government announced that the work was finished...

Bob K

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Blame La Sirena for lack of traffic!

I also noticed that the businesses along the road were dead or dying, and some were buried...no traffic...how could there be???

HB

.............There isn't much traffic on the road anymore anyway. Mainly transit trucks and buses..........

..............No one from POP drives to Santiago anymore since La Sirena opened!!! LOL........:laugh::laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
HB, on which road the businesses are dying? the main one, through the tunnel? this road was promised to be extended (2 lines in each direction) so naturally all the businesses and houses on the side of the road will be demolished.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
dv8: No, dear, the road over the mountains--the tourist highway--...what used to be the only good link between POP and Santiago...

BobK is sure right about the time lost, too..

HB

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
You're right about the shameful conditions of the "Tourist Highway". However, there is an upside to this. There is very little traffic. Back in the days before they built the new highway, the Tourist was overloaded with traffic. Instead of looking out for pot holes and whole sections of missing pavement, you had to look out for tour busses and overloaded trucks that very nearly ran you off the road as they passed you or were coming at you in YOUR lane! Now that all that traffic is on the new highway, you can actually enjoy some of the most beautiful mountain views in DR as you leisurely drive along. And yes, most of the roadside stands are shuttered. The old roadside stands make the area look like time is standing still. However, a few have persisted, so you don't have to worry about being dry as you drive through. And as a final bonus, you won't get stuck in Puerto Plata traffic jams. Who's idea was it to put that concrete barrier in the middle of the road all the way through town?

Reactions: Celt202

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the concrete barrier on manolo tavarez justo is the greatest idea ever as it regulates the traffic - otherwise we'd have a total mess of anxious drivers trying to overtake traffic jams.
as far as the tourist road goes i'm in two minds about it. this is certainly a beautiful and scenic route to santiago but all those curves make me really car sick :(

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FRank, ou make some very good points, and yes, there are certainly enough places to get the "dust" washed down, which makes the ride all the more enjoyable.

As for the tour buses and overloaded trucks, there were not supposed to be any!! The road was not supposed to carry freight or large buses. I think that 30 pax buses were the max.. That would be a shame for sure...

And, doggone it, it is so pretty up there...I still daydream a lot on that road....

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And as a final bonus, you won't get stuck in Puerto Plata traffic jams. Who's idea was it to put that concrete barrier in the middle of the road all the way through town?

The Ayuntamiento's idea. And it's a great improvement because all through traffic gets shephered on to that road and probably doesn't know how to get off it, for the backstreets of Puerto Plata. Which means those of us who live here have a much quieter time driving through town not using that road...:cheeky:

But we lived through 16 months of roadworks while they were building the barrier and laying the asphalt, then taking it up to install the drainage (whoops, forgotten about that) and laying it again, then removing it a third time for the fibre optic cable, so you folks who arrive and find it all done and finished are indeed fortunate. Please, no campaigns to have that barrier removed, we don't want another 16 months of......well, you know. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Use my solution for those trips over the mountain on bad roads!

2a5jjgk.jpg

A

apostropheman

What solution is that Chipo?

Be sure to drink at least a Grande or 3 before the trip...;):D:bunny::bunny:
Use my solution for those trips over the mountain on bad roads!

2a5jjgk.jpg
...and use a trustee guide-dog? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The benefit of that little white ankle biter is that when the power goes out it's still a very effective alarm. ;)

You would think so, but unfortunately he is a poodle and any intruders would ever get from him are love and kisses. He does bark a lot if that is any consolation and the girls love him so he is here to stay.

You're right about the shameful conditions of the "Tourist Highway". However, there is an upside to this. There is very little traffic. Back in the days before they built the new highway, the Tourist was overloaded with traffic. Instead of looking out for pot holes and whole sections of missing pavement, you had to look out for tour busses and overloaded trucks that very nearly ran you off the road as they passed you or were coming at you in YOUR lane! Now that all that traffic is on the new highway, you can actually enjoy some of the most beautiful mountain views in DR as you leisurely drive along. And yes, most of the roadside stands are shuttered. The old roadside stands make the area look like time is standing still. However, a few have persisted, so you don't have to worry about being dry as you drive through. And as a final bonus, you won't get stuck in Puerto Plata traffic jams. Who's idea was it to put that concrete barrier in the middle of the road all the way through town?

Frank I want to have some of whatever you are smoking:) I just drove the tourist hwy a day or 2 ago with an intermediate sized car, you must have been driving in a full sized Humvee to say you enjoyed the road. The best thing they ever did in Puerto Plata is the divider on the main road, never any traffic jams, just a bit slower traffic near the light at the hospital and then again down near Utesa and near Javilla tours. Alway get through the whole town in under 15 mins in the worst traffic.

frank617

Jan 12, 2009
As you know, badpiece, road conditions are subject to change on a daily basis. Maybe, the road is worse now than when I drove it. The last time I traversed it, an advisory was in effect to avoid the road. And I found it to be not that bad. I was driving an Mitsubishi Montero Sport. As you (should) know, cars are useless anywhere in the DR. Of course you're going to experience difficulty in a car. And before that wall went up in Puerto Plata, you could pass slowpokes. It's the only place in Cibao, where you get stuck in traffic.

As you know, badpiece, road conditions are subject to change on a daily basis. Maybe, the road is worse now than when I drove it. The last time I traversed it, an advisory was in effect to avoid the road. And I found it to be not that bad. I was driving an Mitsubishi Montero Sport. As you (should) know, cars are useless anywhere in the DR. Of course you're going to experience difficulty in a car. And before that wall went up in Puerto Plata, you could pass slowpokes. It's the only place in Cibao, where you get stuck in traffic.

The road is in incredible disarray,seems like construction has stopped half way and they just leave the road as is. As for traffic, Some parts of Santiago are insane during the day, like 27th of febuary going towards the overpass near Sabana sadala or near the Hace building, now thats traffic.