Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yeah, right!!! No freakin' way!!!

This is basically a rant about the condition of the Gregorio Luperón Tourist Highway.

As the reigning Old Curmudgeon of this board, allow me to say that in nearly five decades, i have never, ever seen that road is such horrible shape.

Lots of equipment rusting away near the entrance to Pedro Garcia, but not more than a few instances of care free driving. Of course if you don't give a schitt about your car's suspension, you can sort of "flow" over those nasty patches...but You'll be sorry later.

I decided to go back to Santiago the long way through POP and the tunnel. Not a horror ride, but there are still too many potholes and they have yet to fix that nasty spot up towards the hill before Imbert. Much nicer ride than the oxymoron "tourist highway" ....

I did notice that there is a group called Yasika Adventure or something similar...the take tourists for rides inthe tree tops...Lots of Land Rovers,
    like they were in the boonies...ahaha....of course for tourists that is wilderness. Good for them...

I also noticed that the businesses along the road were dead or dying, and some were buried...no traffic...how cold there be???

So, go through Jamao or the Tunnel but NOT the "tourista" (pun intended) highway

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

HB,
    It is too bad as that is the way we used to like to go for our trips "over the hill" Last time we took it (a month ago) glad we had the truck and not the car. Too bad we won't use it again and i feel for all the stores, food shacks, and fruit stands that will no longer see traffic flowing by. It is also now 20-30 min longer to get into Santiago.
    The funniest thing is that two years ago the government announced that the work was finished...

Bob K

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Blame La Sirena for lack of traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I also noticed that the businesses along the road were dead or dying, and some were buried...no traffic...how could there be???

HB
    .............There isn't much traffic on the road anymore anyway. Mainly transit trucks and buses..........

..............No one from POP drives to Santiago anymore since La Sirena opened!!! LOL........
    Last edited by Chirimoya; 06-06-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: edited mistake in title at poster's request

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

HB, on which road the businesses are dying? the main one, through the tunnel? this road was promised to be extended (2 lines in each direction) so naturally all the businesses and houses on the side of the road will be demolished.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry HB my good friend. After all we have a lovely Metro in SD. Who needs roads anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

dv8: No, dear, the road over the mountains--the tourist highway--...what used to be the only good link between POP and Santiago...

BobK is sure right about the time lost, too..

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right about the shameful conditions of the "Tourist Highway". However, there is an upside to this. There is very little traffic. Back in the days before they built the new highway, the Tourist was overloaded with traffic. Instead of looking out for pot holes and whole sections of missing pavement, you had to look out for tour busses and overloaded trucks that very nearly ran you off the road as they passed you or were coming at you in YOUR lane! Now that all that traffic is on the new highway, you can actually enjoy some of the most beautiful mountain views in DR as you leisurely drive along. And yes, most of the roadside stands are shuttered. The old roadside stands make the area look like time is standing still. However, a few have persisted, so you don't have to worry about being dry as you drive through. And as a final bonus, you won't get stuck in Puerto Plata traffic jams. Who's idea was it to put that concrete barrier in the middle of the road all the way through town?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the concrete barrier on manolo tavarez justo is the greatest idea ever as it regulates the traffic - otherwise we'd have a total mess of anxious drivers trying to overtake traffic jams.
    as far as the tourist road goes i'm in two minds about it. this is certainly a beautiful and scenic route to santiago but all those curves make me really car sick

Post Thanks / Like

FRank, ou make some very good points, and yes, there are certainly enough places to get the "dust" washed down, which makes the ride all the more enjoyable.

As for the tour buses and overloaded trucks, there were not supposed to be any!! The road was not supposed to carry freight or large buses. I think that 30 pax buses were the max.. That would be a shame for sure...

And, doggone it, it is so pretty up there...I still daydream a lot on that road....

HB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank617 View Post
    And as a final bonus, you won't get stuck in Puerto Plata traffic jams. Who's idea was it to put that concrete barrier in the middle of the road all the way through town?
    The Ayuntamiento's idea. And it's a great improvement because all through traffic gets shephered on to that road and probably doesn't know how to get off it, for the backstreets of Puerto Plata. Which means those of us who live here have a much quieter time driving through town not using that road...

But we lived through 16 months of roadworks while they were building the barrier and laying the asphalt, then taking it up to install the drainage (whoops, forgotten about that) and laying it again, then removing it a third time for the fibre optic cable, so you folks who arrive and find it all done and finished are indeed fortunate. Please, no campaigns to have that barrier removed, we don't want another 16 months of......well, you know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast